Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Uh, can I cut/trim/drill Green Stuff once it's cured?

Drill? Sure. Also file. I'll file it like a mini once it's cured to smooth out any obvious lines.

I haven't taken an x-acto to it yet, haven't had to.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've been able to with an xacto knife, but just be careful since it has this weird resistance to it, so DO NOT have anything you don't want cut downstream of the knife, like your leg or hand!  If you take it slow and steady, shouldn't be a problem.

I drill my greenstuff all the time.  Doesn't drill as nicely as Apoxy Sculpt or MagicSculpt does though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Marvin said:

yes/yes/yes

but keep in mind layers may separate depending on how you applied it or mixed it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

So that thundershower Environment Canada said would be here yesterday 25 hours ago finally showed up...  Naturally right when I was all "okay, gonna go for a walk to get groceries!"

...If I ever needed a reminder as to why Instacart is such a lovely thing, the weather just smacked me upside the head with said clue by four ::P:

Saw fancy pics of storm clouds just east of us from last night and the town 50 km north got flooded. We didn't have a drop. Today's got tornado warnings going again and thunderheads moving around but looks like even less of a chance of rain than yesterday.

6 hours ago, TGP said:

:rolleyes:
Wait, what...?

Yesterday I was a nice rare from the heat. Today I'm a medium/well done. Hoping the forecast is right and tomorrow is a little cooler or I'm going to be crispy. Just a cool spring day for you southerners, hasn't hit 90 yet, but I'm not used to this. Doesn't help that I'm doing fairly heavy physical labour either. Let myself get a bit soft this spring.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Okay, all you knowledgeable people, help me out here.

Is that 5-pound tub of Magic Sculpt what I want for stamping bases with my Basius pads? I want to do it on the cheap, but I also want the bases to be simple/come out right/look okay/actually be usable for going on and attaching the mini and painting/etc.. And I'm not 100% clear on what I'm reading about the Magic Sculpt, though it sounds like the way to go.

Magic Sculpt works pretty well.  The important difference between it and green stuff is its interaction with water:  Water will dilute and soften magic sculpt (and apoxie sculpt) causing a thin slurry on the surface that gets everywhere or makes it really soft and easy to work if you mix it in.  add enough water and you can pour it into molds. (takes forever to set though...) 

If you want to make it not stick to your mold, you have to use a petroleum based lubricant (personal lube is out, I'm afraid) or you will get a thin coating of magic sculpt all over everything. 

On the plus side when it dries, it dries rock hard and you can drill it, sand it and use a dremel tool on it.  you can use an exacto knife but its tough to cut.

The best thing i found for economy and flexibility is a blend of Magic sculpt (or Aves apoxie) and green stuff in a ratio of 2:1 to 4:1.  it keeps a lot of the flexible properties of green stuff and most of its water resistance, while still drying harder and faster than GS.  Its also more economical to use.

Hope that helps some

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

I had that most American of meals: this week's leftovers.

We had Tacos.  one child with cold, one is nocturnal.  Oh well tomorrow is still not the end of my weekend!

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Others have answered, but yes you can.  it is easier to cut and trim than magic sculpt

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We're having some sort of meatballs, whooo! (I can't remember which one, but it's a Hello Fresh recipe ^_^ )

• Like 7

If you're in the Americas the lunar eclipse ought to be starting in about 15 minutes. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

Okay, all you knowledgeable people, help me out here.

Is that 5-pound tub of Magic Sculpt what I want for stamping bases with my Basius pads? I want to do it on the cheap, but I also want the bases to be simple/come out right/look okay/actually be usable for going on and attaching the mini and painting/etc.. And I'm not 100% clear on what I'm reading about the Magic Sculpt, though it sounds like the way to go.

Five pounds of it sounds excessive, how big are the multiple armies you need these bases for?

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Yes. The professional sculptors did and Still do all three. Pro-tip: get a Teflon roller, roll out excess GS to 1mm or 2mm thick slabs, allow to cure, save the sheets to trim up later when building up mechanical things.  

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

Served this yesterday with the coffee when our friends came over.

Later that night I made a lot of small dishes like tapas/

20200704_151413.jpg.477176a9830cb3f2e7e461e427e74dd4.jpg

This morning I'm making jam from cherries and I'll add a secret ingredient.

20200705_115537.thumb.jpg.22b966b772e29a9b03dc270786606c2a.jpg

20200705_115555.jpg

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Looks wonderful @Glitterwolf.  Not sire what I'll do today but it will probably be less productive ::D:.

Have fun!

Thx!

Oh, rest assured I won't be that productive for the rest of the day.

I'll probably be gaming for a while.

The jam is in jars now, smells great and I had a little taste while it was hot...

• Like 7

Yesterday my beautiful bride made fried rice, ribs, dry hot pot, and chicken soup. SO GOOD! Not at all traditional for the 4th, but that's fine.

I do want to know who the ELF is setting off fireworks at 8am? Alice hasn't peed in 13 hours at this point, because of them... *sigh*

Coffee...

• Like 2
  • Sad 6