Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

today was exciting. Was back on campus for the first time since march, did some video stuff and then got sidetracked by needing to deal with flooding that maintenance failed to notice.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Potential anger inducing post incoming, spoiled so as to not ruin anyone's day. 

Reveal hidden contents

So angry right now. My wife got the all clear to go into the office and pick up some gear and some stuff from her desk. When she got to her desk she found all the little mouslings I've given her over the years knocked around her desk and the floor of her cubicle. It looks like someone from IT had pulled her monitor out for some reason and just didn't care what they broke in the process. They also knocked a mirror off her wall (not broken) and broke the glass in a frame of a picture of us together. It looks like most of them got off with minor scratches I can repair. But two of them, the beekeeper with a custom base and modified to hold a cloaker and the grim reaper mouslings, may have been destroyed beyond repair. The beekeeper's base is shattered and parts of it were missing and the grim reaper looks like it was stepped on with half the paint missing and the metal twisted to the point I'm afraid to try and bend it back into position (if I even can, the base is solid metal and is now warped). I can make another modified beekeeper, probably better than the first, but the grim reaper was limited and I don't think I'll ever be able to replace it. What's worse is we're pretty certain the guy who did it is someone who got hired because he's related to a politician. So no matter how much stuff he destroys, our management won't lift a finger to discipline him. Man, it's a good thing I'm no longer me from 25 years ago and am a much calmer person now. 

That blows.  Pm incoming.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Congrats @OneBoot!

The best thing about COVID: wearing whatever the hell I want because I'm working out of my basement studio.

I’ve seriously considered that for my first day back in the office, I should show up in a pair of pink bunny pajamas. But... I have never met the new team in person, and security at the front desk... so... nah. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

6 minutes ago, Serenity said:

@Thoramel

That really sucks.  Are security cameras around?  Knowing who did it would be good, even if you can't do a thing about it officially. 

No. My union is very anti cameras-in-the-workplace. Something I generally support. 

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Potential anger inducing post incoming, spoiled so as to not ruin anyone's day. 

Reveal hidden contents

So angry right now. My wife got the all clear to go into the office and pick up some gear and some stuff from her desk. When she got to her desk she found all the little mouslings I've given her over the years knocked around her desk and the floor of her cubicle. It looks like someone from IT had pulled her monitor out for some reason and just didn't care what they broke in the process. They also knocked a mirror off her wall (not broken) and broke the glass in a frame of a picture of us together. It looks like most of them got off with minor scratches I can repair. But two of them, the beekeeper with a custom base and modified to hold a cloaker and the grim reaper mouslings, may have been destroyed beyond repair. The beekeeper's base is shattered and parts of it were missing and the grim reaper looks like it was stepped on with half the paint missing and the metal twisted to the point I'm afraid to try and bend it back into position (if I even can, the base is solid metal and is now warped). I can make another modified beekeeper, probably better than the first, but the grim reaper was limited and I don't think I'll ever be able to replace it. What's worse is we're pretty certain the guy who did it is someone who got hired because he's related to a politician. So no matter how much stuff he destroys, our management won't lift a finger to discipline him. Man, it's a good thing I'm no longer me from 25 years ago and am a much calmer person now. 

That's sad, stupid ignorant people...

• Like 11

5 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I suddenly find myself gainfully employed. :blink:

I'm... I'm going to have to wear PANTS again! :wow:

(lol just kidding, that's what skirts are for :lol:)

It's a temporary, full-time data entry job of some kind, working for the county health department. I'll get the full details when I go in for my first day today, but I believe it's pandemic-related. It'll be a good way to ease back into productive society again. Plus money, money is also good. :upside:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Huzzah indeed!!

Moar coffee!!

• Like 9

First half of the day has gone well. I immediately hit it off with another temp who is as crazy about alphabetizing stuff as I am, and we've been having fun commiserating about terrible filing we've had to tidy up after. :lol:

Mostly what I've been doing is sorting and filing papers. There is a ridiculous amount of paperwork bring processed right now, what with test results and consent forms and contact forms etc. etc. There are crates with file folders in them all over; one of the break rooms was even turned into a records room, which is where I'm working today. There seems to be a fair bit of "left hand not doing what the right hand is doing" with regards to keeping things organized, but I think my skills will be helpful in that regard. ^_^

I'm on lunch right now, and I'm not used to having an entire hour, lol. It is nice to sit down for a bit, though (and take my mask off; everyone wears one basically all the time here since we're all moving about). 

Huzzah! 

• Like 20

Some days, I stand in awe of my drafting skills and simply have to bask in my own brilliance. 

Was given a test drawing to own and have had to verify hole locations. On sheet 8 of 8, I find this horrific jumble of numbers. Quantities in front of some angles, cryptic notes on the diameters, and the sort of stuff you’d find when someone is just tossing something together in order to simply have something. I dig in, have to pull up Excel to see just what in the world is going on. Supposed to be a pattern of four holes six times but things just don’t seem to work out.

Finally, I get one part of the above that it’s FOUR holes in the pattern, and they started at some weird angle for some reason. So the last hole of the pattern crosses over the zero degree line, which led me to believe it was first.

Everything falls into place! The pattern dimensions are in one area of the view now, and all the angles for the pattern are off to one side, lined up in a obvious group, with the dimensional callout below them with the appropriate field note explaining the pattern.

I have already bragged about this to my wife, my daughter, and my work notes. Wanted to come and brag about it here, too. 

Man, this dopamine rush is going to carry me forward for hours!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Husband was talking to his d&d group about if they would pay to play d&d (not with him) out of curiosity. One player said that not only should they pay him in food but pay him something to help out with minis. I about died laughing.

This was the highlight of my morning. Otherwise I've got a migraine hangover still and am struggling to stay awake.

• Like 14

8 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I suddenly find myself gainfully employed. :blink:

I'm... I'm going to have to wear PANTS again! :wow:

(lol just kidding, that's what skirts are for :lol:)

It's a temporary, full-time data entry job of some kind, working for the county health department. I'll get the full details when I go in for my first day today, but I believe it's pandemic-related. It'll be a good way to ease back into productive society again. Plus money, money is also good. :upside:

Huzzah! 

Congratulations!!

2 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I’ve seriously considered that for my first day back in the office, I should show up in a pair of pink bunny pajamas. But... I have never met the new team in person, and security at the front desk... so... nah. 

• I double dog dare you.::P:
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

Seems reasonable, but then that'd mean the damage is surprisingly limited, given how liberal I was with the lube. Hmm.

Will say that I got the impression K-Y is not an entirely uncommon choice for this sort of thing tho, as a fair number of mentions on the Internets convinced me to go ahead and try it. Was gonna try Vaseline next anyway, so we'll see if the next batch improves, I reckon.

I's feeling pretty good about these until the spotting occurred. Still don't feel too bad I guess as long as they don't crumble apart of something.

If the little white spots aren't a result of not mixing thoroughly enough, then they're definitely due to the lube - lube (depending on the ingredients*) sometimes does things like that when you leave it on a surface for long enough to completely dry...

In any event, if they're sticking out of the surface, you should be able to sand them down.

Spoiler

Any of the bolded  (singly or together) could conceivably end up drying into hard white spots...

From Wiki:

K-Y NG uses glycerin and hydroxyethyl cellulose as the lubricant, with chlorhexidine gluconate, glucono delta-lactone, methylparaben and sodium hydroxide as antiseptic and preservative additives. The liquid form of the product combines glycerin with propylene glycol, sorbitol, and Natrosol 250H (a brand of hydroxyethyl cellulose) for lubrication, with benzoic acid, methylparaben and sodium hydroxide as additives

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

I want my brushes, and I want to do the 2.5ish km necessary to overtake first on our team challenge thing, but, uhm... 

Question is how willing am I to get soaking wet to get both of those... (round trip to post office is 3.6km give or take) 

Rain is back. Silly weather. 

• Like 5

Whew. Moving pieces of paper around a room and repeatedly pressing small pieces of plastic has no business being this tiring, yet somehow it is. :wacko: I'll get used to it again before too long, it's just a matter of re-initializing neural pathways that haven't been used in years, as well as getting my body used to working again.

On the plus side, MrBoot surprised me with pizza when I got home. :bday:

Huzzah!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2