Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

So I've been on call for one part of our groups "stuff" for a while now.  The plan has always been to combine us with the other group that supports the other "stuff" for on call.  So a week or two ago our manager asks if I'm ok starting that my next on call (this week)(with him as my backup).  I say sure, since even if it goes crappy I'm on vacation the next week :poke:

Then last week he's like, "BTW, the server patches are next week.  Here's the doc on what you have to do...."

Which is why I've been logged in for an hour and expect to be on until 2 am or so.

Sigh.

And I can't even sleep in tomorrow.  We have a "mandatory" conference call at 9 am.

• Sad 9

Less than a day left on the Humble Bundle Mapping Extravaganza. $30 is definitely the sweet spot - it includes a full license for the main program, not just a one year limited license.

Already own most of it - but there was enough to make it worthwhile, anyway. (Even with this month's 50% off coupon, Tome of Ultimate Mapping and Perspectives 3 come to $30 for just those two....)

I figure I can use the extras as birthday and Christmas presents.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Potential anger inducing post incoming, spoiled so as to not ruin anyone's day. 

Hide contents

So angry right now. My wife got the all clear to go into the office and pick up some gear and some stuff from her desk. When she got to her desk she found all the little mouslings I've given her over the years knocked around her desk and the floor of her cubicle. It looks like someone from IT had pulled her monitor out for some reason and just didn't care what they broke in the process. They also knocked a mirror off her wall (not broken) and broke the glass in a frame of a picture of us together. It looks like most of them got off with minor scratches I can repair. But two of them, the beekeeper with a custom base and modified to hold a cloaker and the grim reaper mouslings, may have been destroyed beyond repair. The beekeeper's base is shattered and parts of it were missing and the grim reaper looks like it was stepped on with half the paint missing and the metal twisted to the point I'm afraid to try and bend it back into position (if I even can, the base is solid metal and is now warped). I can make another modified beekeeper, probably better than the first, but the grim reaper was limited and I don't think I'll ever be able to replace it. What's worse is we're pretty certain the guy who did it is someone who got hired because he's related to a politician. So no matter how much stuff he destroys, our management won't lift a finger to discipline him. Man, it's a good thing I'm no longer me from 25 years ago and am a much calmer person now. 

This needs to be reported to higher ups.  You don't know right now if this has happened to anybody else, but somebody up the management chain may be able to correlate this with other complaints, and hopefully, take appropriate action.

GEM

9 hours ago, Pegazus said:

I’ve seriously considered that for my first day back in the office, I should show up in a pair of pink bunny pajamas. But... I have never met the new team in person, and security at the front desk... so... nah. 

Pack them in a bag that goes to work with you.  You never know when they might be "appropriate", as in appropriately inappropriate.

GEM

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

So I've been on call for one part of our groups "stuff" for a while now.  The plan has always been to combine us with the other group that supports the other "stuff" for on call.  So a week or two ago our manager asks if I'm ok starting that my next on call (this week)(with him as my backup).  I say sure, since even if it goes crappy I'm on vacation the next week :poke:

Then last week he's like, "BTW, the server patches are next week.  Here's the doc on what you have to do...."

Which is why I've been logged in for an hour and expect to be on until 2 am or so.

Sigh.

And I can't even sleep in tomorrow.  We have a "mandatory" conference call at 9 am.

Call in then mute the call.

GEM

Currently our internet is "roll a d20, on a 20 you get internet service for one d4 minutes".  Spectrum's network is falling apart in our area.  When the temp goes above 90 deg [F] internet goes flakey for the rest of the day and when it gets hot enough the phone goes out and the tv picture starts to shred.  Things stay flakey for the rest of the day until the outside temps and the failing equipment cool down.  Which is why I'm finally on here, things are starting to stabilize for the night.

SWMBO is very upset that I can't fix it.  I keep explaining it's external to our house/equipment but she's still upset.

GEM

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Less than a day left on the Humble Bundle Mapping Extravaganza. $30 is definitely the sweet spot - it includes a full license for the main program, not just a one year limited license.

Already own most of it - but there was enough to make it worthwhile, anyway. (Even with this month's 50% off coupon, Tome of Ultimate Mapping and Perspectives 3 come to $30 for just those two....)

I figure I can use the extras as birthday and Christmas presents.

The Auld Grump

There was only one thing I really needed from the bundle, and it was at the top tier. But I pulled the trigger tonight anyways. I don't even know if I'll ever even use it, but I'll have it for when the need arises.

• Like 3

Might finally be pulling the trigger on a purchase with one company I've wanted to order products from for FIFTEEN YEARS now...  Just need to save a bit longer... 

Okay, technically I have ordered from them back in 2007, but that was a surprise gift for a friend who wasn't doing so well, so I haven't put an order in for myself yet... Won't be looking forward to that customs bill though, but on the flipside FlowToys nowadays has some really awesome products that are even better than a decade ago.  It also won't be an "all the things, all the shiny!" type order either, but eh, it will get most of the items I want to get my paws on... And I'll finally have a nice pair of poi to boot! (actually, three pairs...) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Whew. Moving pieces of paper around a room and repeatedly pressing small pieces of plastic has no business being this tiring, yet somehow it is. :wacko: I'll get used to it again before too long, it's just a matter of re-initializing neural pathways that haven't been used in years, as well as getting my body used to working again.

On the plus side, MrBoot surprised me with pizza when I got home. :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

At least you have the moving pieces of paper around a room part to give you some excuse. Some of us don't even have that...

• Like 2

I'm keeping track of what I paint ( don't we all?) and I noticed a surge in painting since I got my 3D Printer.

I have painted 19 minis ( mounts and riders counted as one) so far this year and 15 of those were printed by me.

1 was printed by another forumite which leaves 4 "normal" minis.

Looking at my desk this trend will continue.

But first I need to replace the FEP film again, a suspicious bump was found last night after a fail ( stupid bad presupports...let me do my own if you don't know how to do it, oh well lessons learned always check for islands even with presupports.)

Looking at the many amazing 3D kickstarters/sculptors/patreons out there I wonder if Reaper will ever decide to do something with 3D printing?

It could be a sideline of STL's next to the minis.

If this trend continues it might even be wise to do so to ensure a future in the miniatures market.

In other news, my homemade Cherry Jam with Kirsch was approved by the Grandparents.

I gave them a jar.

My girl works in homecare and one elderly gentleman has gifted us very good cherries for a few weeks now, we ate the good cherries and I bought supermarket ones for the jam.

The jam tastes great ( I use Kirsch, a little lemon juice, cinnamon, ground clover and of course cherries and sugar) and I made an extra jar for him.

My girl is going to give that to him Thursday when she goes there to care for him again.

The roofers fixed the edge of the roof yesterday some nice patchwork to make it last longer and help with drainage.

Now working at the base for the rest of the week.

Serious having a problem to wake up.

I feel like I could sleep right now.

I hope you're all well and safe.

Here's hoping this Forum will last forever and we can chat and show our minis and all for decades to come.

image.png.71fb91481695789735e29b5bd5069223.png

• Like 2

Congrats @Glitterwolf. Good to see you painting more.

I imagine that reaper will stay a miniature oriented company, producing finished goods rather than intellectual property.  Best I could see from them is some sort of market  where artists could sell stls of minis that are not picked up by Reaper.  To do otherwise is to risk being in competition with themselves or risk losing IP rights to minis they post 

For me my quantity has increased (I have over 150 minis this year) but the quality rarely rises above tabletop (need to get past the 'if I can't win why bother' but that's not going to happen this year ::P:. Such is life.

I have absolutely adored getting back to printing after a 3 year hiatus due to inoperative equipment and I have the folks on the forum to thank for it.  I ence completed a 28mm scale scout ship (though I still need to clean it up and paint it) and moved right on to a 3d catan board as well as other projects...20200706_173555.thumb.jpg.ec793c78e47b91082f7a9f1d3aadaab1.jpg

So thanks to everyone

And I now have a summer cold... or allergies around here it's hard to tell the difference but no fever or chest stuff so I'm not a plague bearer!

20200706_173620.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That Koi Dragon looks neat!

150 minis? 

My record is about 50 ( including a bust or two) I'm a slow painter and I try ti paint for display.

Soooo many ideas, soooo little time.

Well at least I will have a huge army to protect me in the afterlife.

• Like 2

Just dropped Diva off at the vet, now for a day of fretting and borderline panic. She was much happier than I was but unusually for a cat, she actually likes our vet :blink:

Our vet is in a large pet store and they had this sign at reception, which did give me a little chuckle.

IMG_20200708_094701.thumb.jpg.c08594a1e1f16acdc2fb1a86e49a456f.jpg

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2