Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 minute ago, Zink said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out whether someone upstairs really likes me or is just messing with me. Might have lost a vehicle but could have been a lot worse. Tow truck's coming for it Sunday and insurance thinks they'll have everything looked over by Wednesday. Late next week I should know if we're repairing it or replacing. I was laughing talking with the towing company saying I wish I had been driving my usual pickup. It's getting worn out and dinged up and I'd have rather replaced it. Then I thought about it and remembered I have a skid tank with diesel in it in the box. That might not have been good with all the electricity going through the vehicle.

Probably fried the onboard computer, by the sounds of it. Glad you're came out of this unscathed, though. It's going to be interesting explaining this one to SGI.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Probably fried the onboard computer, by the sounds of it. Glad you're came out of this unscathed, though. It's going to be interesting explaining this one to SGI.

Took awhile over the phone with the SGI lady. After all the standard questions were done she said, "I have to ask and this isn't a claim question but what did that feel like and were you scared?" I said, "I've got pretty steady nerves and it happened so fast there wasn't really any time to be scared. I was kind of tingly for a long time afterwards." I've had a few good electric shocks before and this wasn't nearly as bad as them but it's an odd feeling when you realize what happened. It was like a small bomb went off right at the edge of my hood. My oldest and I were checking it out once the sky cleared and there's melted splatter from the antenna stuck to the windshield.

Rained like crazy just after it happened so I sat in the vehicle for a half hour to wait it out. When it quit raining I ran about a 1/4 mile to where a nieghbour that's renting some of my land had left his work truck. Just before I got there it poured again and soaked me. I was telling him about this so he'd know why his truck wasn't there and he was impressed. He wanted to know why I risked running to his truck. I was like "how long am I supposed to sit in a car on a road where almost nobody drives? Your truck saved me walking another 3/4 mile home. The lightning seemed to have stopped by then." That neighbour is one of the most talkative guys in the area and he never lets facts get in the way of a good story. I'm interested to hear what the story will be in a week or two.

• Like 14

@Zink glad to hear you're alright!

Gotta love how the "optional" health challenge thingy at work (optional in quotes because management forcibly created teams of people and told them we HAD to participate)... They chose an app that's unstable.  Apparently 4.75km is all of 0.03km.  Gotta love it when an app logs you via GPS, but nope, the distance bit fails and stays failed.  Sure, you can fix it, but that doesn't count for challenges, only personal stuff.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I've seen lightning bolts from up close, but that takes the cake.

3 hours ago, Zink said:

Well I just had an experience. Was driving our Ford Escape on the gravel road about a mile from my farm yard. It was just starting to dip a bit of rain. All of a sudden there was a huge bang, a jet of flame like a welder shot out of where the antenna goes into the hood and my motor died. I coasted to the side of the road and was staring at my antenna. It was glowing like the filament in a light bulb and slowly cooled down and shriveled up curling over 90 degrees and it's shorter than it used to be. Got hit by lightning!!! :blink: I'm fine but feel like I had a bit of a zap. Other than the antenna and a bit of discolouration  on the hood near it there's no obvious damage. The motor won't start but all of the electronics (radio, windows, locks) still work. 

A bit of a zap sounds like a slight understatement.

44 minutes ago, Zink said:

Took awhile over the phone with the SGI lady. After all the standard questions were done she said, "I have to ask and this isn't a claim question but what did that feel like and were you scared?" I said, "I've got pretty steady nerves and it happened so fast there wasn't really any time to be scared. I was kind of tingly for a long time afterwards." I've had a few good electric shocks before and this wasn't nearly as bad as them but it's an odd feeling when you realize what happened. It was like a small bomb went off right at the edge of my hood. My oldest and I were checking it out once the sky cleared and there's melted splatter from the antenna stuck to the windshield.

Now that sounds a bit more like what I'd expect. I guess they really mean it that remaining inside a car is safer than outside during a lightning storm.

Wouldn't be surprised if the car is declared a total loss in the sense that it's cheaper for the insurer to replace than to repair.

P.S. I'm actually writing this during a lightning storm. Power already went out momentarily three times.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

51 minutes ago, Zink said:

Rained like crazy just after it happened so I sat in the vehicle for a half hour to wait it out. When it quit raining I ran about a 1/4 mile to where a nieghbour that's renting some of my land had left his work truck. Just before I got there it poured again and soaked me. I was telling him about this so he'd know why his truck wasn't there and he was impressed. He wanted to know why I risked running to his truck. I was like "how long am I supposed to sit in a car on a road where almost nobody drives? Your truck saved me walking another 3/4 mile home. The lightning seemed to have stopped by then." That neighbour is one of the most talkative guys in the area and he never lets facts get in the way of a good story. I'm interested to hear what the story will be in a week or two.

We'll be expecting pics of this sizzly awesomeness .

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

We'll be expecting pics of this sizzly awesomeness .

Yeah, I'll take some tomorrow but it's not all that impressive.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

Big new 40k box is less than the price of a facial treatment... Someone stop me from getting it before the mini hoarding goblins in my brain take over!!

You’re in the wrong place if you want us to stop you :lol: we’d rather enable you to say “see? Everyone else is getting them too!” :lol: 

Currently making fried chicken for our trip to the lake tomorrow. My friend was just gonna buy some, but I figured I’d make it nice and fresh like. After these two pieces fry, it’s the oven for the rest. 

After that I can finally go to bed. I feel like I’ve been up forever, but I accomplished why I set out to do for once. We both have our Wyoming driver’s licenses and we have a checking account at a local bank.

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

Big new 40k box is less than the price of a facial treatment... Someone stop me from getting it before the mini hoarding goblins in my brain take over!!

You're absolutely right, don't get one.

Get two.

• Haha 16

Do they still make the old fantasy Warhammer stuff, or is it all dead?

• Like 6

The goblins won, they give thanks to @redambrosia and @Pezler the Polychromatic:lol:

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

They make some, but lots of the old models are gone. They're bringing back Warhammer Fantasy but earlier in the setting so new models for the old factions are coming. 

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:
1 hour ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

You're absolutely right, don't get one.

Get two.

My usual sources are mum on the prices. So how much is the price of a facial treatment in Singapore or the box price? Either way I will have a reference.

Not that I will be purchasing either one.

I was going to tell you, HARD PASS, too many Necron-Things….

32 minutes ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

The goblins won, they give thanks to @redambrosia and @Pezler the Polychromatic:lol:

35 minutes ago, Marvin said:

They make some, but lots of the old models are gone. They're bringing back Warhammer Fantasy but earlier in the setting so new models for the old factions are coming. 

@Marvin  it varies by Faction. Chaos Dwarfs and Tomb Kings and Brets are goners.

Folk still playing with previous models / rules have banded together under "Oldhammer".  Finding models is a secondary market thing.

• Like 5