Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

On 7/10/2020 at 3:14 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Better watch out, wild and crazy party animal here!

(I got home from work, sat down and promptly zonked out for an unintended nap.)

It must be contagious; both yesterday AND the day before, I only made it to about 7pm before realizing I was literally falling asleep while playing a video game. Last night I slept for 12 hours! :blink:

...Is this what getting old feels like? :lol:

On 7/10/2020 at 6:55 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Listening to techno played on acoustic guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIrkhJut4Ew

Only thing I knew by name so far is Sandstorm.

Oooh that was amazing, thank you so much! I love guitars, and I LOVE techno, and I never thought to wonder what the two sounded like in conjunction. :lol:

Random fact of the day: a smartphone touchscreen still functions just fine when the phone is inside a sandwich bag. I was getting tired of sanitizing the thing after work every day, so decided to do some experimenting. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 12
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

DH always waits until the last minute.... his PC with all the tax info died Friday and he is busy trying to resurrect the old hard drive.  

Meanwhile, I'm the exact opposite, usually I'm impatiently waiting for NetFile (online Canadian filing) to open up, as I typically have my T4 before the system opens up near the end of February for submissions... 

Next year will be different though, since a lot of companies don't give out RRSP (think 401k in US, as its close enough in similarity) contribution slips until mid-March, which kind of sucks but oh well.  I'll also have to keep an eye out for T5's, because bank interest counts as income in non-registered accounts. 

Biggest reason I file right away is two-fold: first naturally is you get your money sooner (usually only 7-8 business days), and secondly I like spending the tax return on big ticket things we need to take care of.  But yeah, those who wait until closer to the April 30th deadline tend to have to wait upwards of a month due to just how many file at that time. 

• Like 8
18 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Got any recommendations for heavy metal that's on Spotify or YouTube Music?  I suspect I'm going to want harder stuff to listen to on Monday :devil:

~

Totally unrelated, I think I might actually be going out to spin poi for the first time in bloody well ages tonight...  Alongside picking up a few groceries while I'm at it.  Even if it is "just" sock poi that are stretchy beyond belief.  I need something to do other than work on minis, rearrange the living room, and whatnot.

My current favorite artist is Dan Vasc. Cover artist on YouTube who mostly does power metal, and well, power anything. Chills me right out. The eye candy doesn't hurt either :poke:

You make me want to go dig out my poi.

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Random fact of the day: a smartphone touchscreen still functions just fine when the phone is inside a sandwich bag. I was getting tired of sanitizing the thing after work every day, so decided to do some experimenting. ^_^

I knew this from Pokemon Go community days in the rain. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

My job is dependent on me getting my taxes perfect every year so I overwithhold. Sure I get stiffed a hundred fifty dollars every month but I get it back at the end of the year.

I sympathize.  I used to have a DOE high level clearance.  We quickly discovered that messing up your taxes was the quickest way to get busted back to the lowest level of clearance until you explained yourself and the bill was paid.  Discussing your personal finances with your boss is not a comfortable discussion!

• Like 12
2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I had too much fun yesterday and now I feel miserable. I remember too late why I don’t go outside.

Which is why I start acclimating in spring, spending time in the sun and the heat so the occasional day out doesn't turn into a disaster.  

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Biggest reason I file right away is two-fold: first naturally is you get your money sooner (usually only 7-8 business days), and secondly I like spending the tax return on big ticket things we need to take care of.  But yeah, those who wait until closer to the April 30th deadline tend to have to wait upwards of a month due to just how many file at that time. 

We aim to break even, to owe or be refunded as little as possible. So waiting isn't an issue. 

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Keianna said:

My current favorite artist is Dan Vasc. Cover artist on YouTube who mostly does power metal, and well, power anything. Chills me right out. The eye candy doesn't hurt either :poke:

You make me want to go dig out my poi.

Oh my, you aren't kidding about eye candy.  I wish my hair looked that nice when it was shoulder length...

I find my sock poi too stretchy, as well as light (not to mention short!), but they were only $11 CAD at the time.  Sadly, Home of Poi only had radioactive waste green (instead of the more alluring radioactive waste, "now in safety orange!" colours), and they've seen little use.  I suspect once I send an order in to FlowToys (and it arrives) that they'll be replaced by either fuzzy poi (sadly not available in orange) or PodPoi, but that's because I like mine on the heavier side.  I'm also going to give contact poi (previously known as pendulum poi in some circles) a shot too, because hey, why not ^_^  Poi are a fun thing to just relax and jam out with, that's for sure!

47 minutes ago, Inarah said:

We aim to break even, to owe or be refunded as little as possible. So waiting isn't an issue. 

In our circumstance (couple with a single income) it's hard to not get a return, and HR won't reduce the taxes on our pay due to such, or even due to RRSP contributions, so it's something we deal with.  Starting in 2022 though, it's going to wind up mostly being sent off into savings.  We aim to partially do this next year, but there's still one or two big things we need to take care of first (new computers, new computer monitors, new monitor stands) but we're on course to having a healthy amount of savings by 2022.

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9
2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Which is why I start acclimating in spring, spending time in the sun and the heat so the occasional day out doesn't turn into a disaster.

I think it’s more due to not having a good sun hat and getting a sunburn on my scalp. 

I have no problem going outside if I’m in shade or not out too long, but the sun is not my friend for extended periods.

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Inarah said:
6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

@Crowley:  you too, huh?  Have to scrabble around on the ADP website today to hopefully get the information I need to electronically import my W2.  My view on this is strictly beekeeper material!

DH always waits until the last minute.... his PC with all the tax info died Friday and he is busy trying to resurrect the old hard drive.  

I've had the taxes done since early March. Just didn't want to mail off the big check until I had to.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I've had the taxes done since early March. Just didn't want to mail off the big check until I had to.

My wife insists we get our done early. We got 'em done in Feb & we had them by the first week of March.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I’m at the point where I have mandatory quarterly payments. At least it is pretty effortless to do that via the website. 

• Like 10
10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

...Is this what getting old feels like? :lol:

:ph34r:

<< doesn't answer …… but looks guilty as charged >>

10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Do they make you use your smartphone for daily work stuff ??  Confused… :huh:

• Like 8

I found out Heavy Duty Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight work well with smartphones. Oddly, the thinner latex vinyl gloves don't.

Speaking of those HD Nitriles, down to my last pair & HF doesn't have my size in stock right now. At least they are getting them in, but just getting up there to get them in an adventure in itself. (they had to raise the prices of those as well. I think they are like 13 or 14 bucks a box now! :blink:). I did pick up some oddball ones from Wallyworld the other day (black, were stocked in the auto department). Hopefully those will work. I do like have an extra box on hand, just to have them. Gotta love having hobbies that use the same stuff as the pandemic right now......

• Like 11
13 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

…dont' you hate it when you misplace something and can't remember where. Trying to find my sculpting tools, including the tool Julie Guthrie hand made and gave me last Reapercon. I know they're in a ziplock baggy...somewhere. Ugh

Again:

<< doesn't answer …… but looks guilty as charged >>

• Like 10