Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Not sure if work today.

I'm better now. It's just that the building was evacuated for cleaning last night after an employee tested positive for the plague and now the entire 3rd floor is off limits. I am disbelieving the assurance that a cleaning company that leaves mice in its wake is capable of deep-cleaning a building the size of a city block on no notice.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 17

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Humble Bundle has a Pathfinder 2nd edition bundle available, supporting 3 BLM charities. The $30 level gets you a copy of the hardcover rule book, for which you have to pay shipping. My shipping cost was $13.87, so a bit more than the $38.99 with prime shipping from the Big River site, but you get a boat load of the PDF rules books, adventures and maps.

• Like 6

@Cygnwulf Good to hear the Kitties are eating and considering you home there's  Bet it wont be too long before they run the place

@SparrowMarie:  The important thing is to do what is right for you and your partner.  A lot of people put pressure on others to do things but they aren't the ones that have to live with the decisions or the risks.  Its a decision just like any other you will make in life and there is no fault or letting others down.  If anyone gives you problems, make vague comments about how you tried and it didn't work out and that will usually send the pest scrabbling to find another topic of conversation.  we didn't have children until we were 8 years into our marriage and had to deal with a lot of the same pressures.  When we did, it was because we wanted to, not to please anyone else.

53 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

Blah, had my first Soup Friday failure, French Onion Soup turned out to be harder to make than I though.

Currently heating up emergency rations of Chicken Nuggets and Chips.

Onion soup is a very long process and good onion soup is both tricky and prone to failure, especially if you are trying to use the caramelized onions to color the soup.  the line between dark brown tasty caramelized onions and burned mess is much finer than it should be.  Keep trying, im sure you'll get it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

RTB Pro Tips, the super AMA episode! Giveaways all episode! starts soon.  Ask your questions.  Win something?

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

I won something! Not sure what, yet. I have to go back and watch again when the recorded version goes up.

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

Blah, had my first Soup Friday failure, French Onion Soup turned out to be harder to make than I though.

What went wrong?  It's a favorite when I want something comforting and non-complicated. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

3rd floor is off limits. I am disbelieving the assurance that a cleaning company that leaves mice in its wake is capable of deep-cleaning a building the size of a city block on no notice.

Theory 1: The mice were deliberate. I'm sure if you do some checking, you'll find that the higher ups in the cleaning company are either related to or have an interest invested in a local extermination service. 

Theory 2: The film "Willard" was based on an actual person with rodent controlling powers, and that person is holding a grudge about being audited, hence has begun sending their little friends in on a recon mission.

Theory 3: With the awakening of the Elder Mouse, the Council of Rodents has decided to try and get into the computer system in order to dig up information on every exterminator in the country, as part of a scheme to have all of them get audited at the same time, thus ensuring that when the mice decide it is time for the "Big Push", resistance to them will be greatly lessened.

Theory 4: Skaven. 

Theory 5: 3rd floor closure has nothing to do with the plague, that's just a cover story for what really went down...

- attempt by inhuman entity to avoid taxes by eating certain employees

-one of your bosses is a werewolf and lost control with predictable results

-internecine warfare between government agencies now involves the use of malefic witchcraft

-someone's lunch gained sentience and decided like Skynet in it's first few moments of life, that humanity is it's enemy

-Unicorns are attacking. (this would also explain the evil glitter unicorn shirts a page or so back showing up here, it's a concentrated attack on all fronts, hearts and minds, tax infrastructure, etc....)

• Haha 11
  • Confused 1

Right,

I told you earlier this week I made the stupid mistake of cutting into insulation rubber and foam which actually protects the portal of the cellar door.

I cleaned the foam, removed the excess pur foam I had applied.

Applied Griffon HSB 200 Liquid Rubber then Geotextile banding and Liquid rubber again.

Now drying.

Tomorrow another layer.

I noticed the original rubber/bitumen goes all the way down so it should be alright this way?

When all is done  I will put rubber tiles over it and then there will be pots and buckets for plants and flowers there.

My handy work...

IMG-20200717-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0015.jpg

The sand came down due to a dove visiting me after I was done, rubber is still drying...

• Like 14

Just now, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Theory 1: The mice were deliberate. I'm sure if you do some checking, you'll find that the higher ups in the cleaning company are either related to or have an interest invested in a local extermination service. 

Theory 2: The film "Willard" was based on an actual person with rodent controlling powers, and that person is holding a grudge about being audited, hence has begun sending their little friends in on a recon mission.

Theory 3: With the awakening of the Elder Mouse, the Council of Rodents has decided to try and get into the computer system in order to dig up information on every exterminator in the country, as part of a scheme to have all of them get audited at the same time, thus ensuring that when the mice decide it is time for the "Big Push", resistance to them will be greatly lessened.

Theory 4: Skaven. 

Theory 5: 3rd floor closure has nothing to do with the plague, that's just a cover story for what really went down...

- attempt by inhuman entity to avoid taxes by eating certain employees

-one of your bosses is a werewolf and lost control with predictable results

-internecine warfare between government agencies now involves the use of malefic witchcraft

-someone's lunch gained sentience and decided like Skynet in it's first few moments of life, that humanity is it's enemy

-Unicorns are attacking. (this would also explain the evil glitter unicorn shirts a page or so back showing up here, it's a concentrated attack on all fronts, hearts and minds, tax infrastructure, etc....)

For some reason I reeeeeeally want #4 to be the correct one. I've seen the mice in the building and they would look so cute with widdle paperclip weapons :wub:

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Adjusting for taste in french onion soup is a nightmare too. I've been working towards the Baxters french onion soup from a few ideas I got from the list of ingredients. Can't get it to fly though. But it was my wife's favorite, so eventually I will figure out the right ratio of tomato paste and cooking sherry that needs to be added.

Unrelated, most of the everything I waited on has arrived. If I seem sparse, that is why.

Still working out a monster inventory for the Tyranny of Dragons adventure. Gotta fill some gaps. Rime of the Frostmaiden and Curse of Strahd will be following after.

Currently one pile of stirges and two monsters on back order away from the game I am running being fully table ready. And my warlock tiles have arrived.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

For some reason I reeeeeeally want #4 to be the correct one. I've seen the mice in the building and they would look so cute with widdle paperclip weapons :wub:

Or you could get a few of the Reaper weapons packs, file the edges into sharpness and distribute those to the mice...

Oh and I forgot this earlier, did the cleaning company clean the mice as well? If any of their managers have a hint of the wiseelf about them I can see it going down like this...

"Hey, what kinda cleaners are you anyway? After you guys come through, we wind up with mice!"
"Whattya mean, those mouses were already here! We thought they either came with place, or maybe the temp agency sent 'em. So we had Ann give 'em all a quick bath, shampoo'd their fur, the whole nine. We didn't even charge you extra for that, and now you wanna get in my face about them?! Talk about ingrates...."

15 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I cleaned the foam, removed the excess pur foam I had applied.

Applied Griffon HSB 200 Liquid Rubber then Geotextile banding and Liquid rubber again.

Now drying.

Tomorrow another layer.

So a wash, then a couple of highlights then before adding the flock? Looks good so far, it would make a fine base if you were to decide to really test your 3d printer by trying to create a 1:1 scale lizardman.....

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Currently heating up emergency rations of Chicken Nuggets and Chips.

It can be a finicky dish. I'm also curious what went wrong. And was it a "totally inedible" or a "well that wasn't very good" type failure?

Work is finally done for the week. Long week. Glad it's over. Totally not feeling it, especially since I'm probably getting furloughed next week, but won't find out till "midweek" aka probably Friday.

Okay, and now a few hours to study before calling it, and going off for date night. Probably will finish The Good Place season 2.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DocPiske said:

Humble Bundle has a Pathfinder 2nd edition bundle available, supporting 3 BLM charities. The $30 level gets you a copy of the hardcover rule book, for which you have to pay shipping. My shipping cost was $13.87, so a bit more than the $38.99 with prime shipping from the Big River site, but you get a boat load of the PDF rules books, adventures and maps.

Our interest is at zero or lower.

Megan has only once, ever, given me an ultimatum - and that was to drop the horrible playtest of PF2 - and looking at the rules book, all the things we hated most, with the single exception of Inspirations, are still there.

No one in our playtest group had a good time - as advertising it served the opposite purpose and made us stick with PF1.

Megan will no doubt be along, when/if she gets her fill of City of Heroes. I disliked PF2, but Megan pure hates it,

Spending four times as long to create a character that is one quarter as competent was not fun.

Buying racial, oops, I mean heritage abilities with feats was not fun.

It reminded me a lot of D&D 4e - and I hated 4e about as much as Megan hates PF2.

The combats were not fun.

The magic system... had potential. But it left characters less powerful than starting characters in PF1 - so, yeah, again - not fun.

I remember disliking the way skills were handled, but no longer remember why.

The Auld Grump - if I had an outhouse, I would hang the PF2 rules from a nail, next to the seat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

It's official - Brigid is now registered with pre-kindergarten, and starts this year, squeaking by the age requirement with just three weeks to spare. ::):

Head Start (as it was called then) was where I learned to read - and why Fun With Dick and Jane was such a huge disappointment - by then I was already reading Jules Verne.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was my first 'grown up book'. I still own that copy. ::):

image.png.499f7a1b33d9d3ae27dfe8d691b35d2b.png

I worked my way through all twelve volumes in the Educator Classic Library before the end of first grade, and soon enough it will be Brigid's starting library.

The Auld Grump

This is assuming that the school year actually starts, of course.

@theauldgrump, I too, had that exact book. Just about wore it out over the years...

• Like 4