Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Not at all. Sounds like to me you just got a "meh" tea. Were the "bubbles" the kind that you bite into and they pop and the liquid in them spills out (bobas), or were they the more chewy ones (tapioca pearls)?

Yeah, it was the tapioca pearls.  Boba refers to tapioca pearls here (And is also slang for large bosoms apparently.) I haven't heard of bubbles that pop with liquid inside them, but that sounds pretty nice. 

An aside, got another set of the really nice but expensive coffee bottles. Planning to use the bottles once I'm done with the coffee for horticulture or even terrain. 

@TheAuldGrump 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was one of my favourite books when I was quite young, though I don't know if it was the original version or abridged.

Edited by BadgersinMeadows
  • Like 4

So nice to have a 24 hour laundromat. That way, when your husband takes up the entire bed, you can go do laundry. You know, after doing all the dishes and putting a shrieking harpy to bed, after having dealt with several other shrieking harpies all day. 

I’m not salty at all.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 11

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

So nice to have a 24 hour laundromat. That way, when your husband takes up the entire bed, you can go do laundry. You know, after doing all the dishes and putting a shrieking harpy to bed, after having dealt with several other shrieking harpies all day. 

I’m not salty at all.

Awww, sounds like you had a rough day.  Sounds like you could use a day when hubby takes over your personal shrieking harpy & chores!

• Like 11

I applied the third and final coat of liquid rubber to the insulation project..

Now printing a 3D mini...will take 5+ hours.

Hopefully it will come out right.

It's nice sunny weather out here.

My girl's Brother in Law is here, he's putting up a large mirror and lamps in oldest vixen's room.

Maybe hobby time later today.

For tonight I will make a sweet and sour dish with ground beef, veggies and rice, sidedish will be spicy cassave crackers and prawn crackers.

Later tonight we will have friends over, I have some special beers and I will put a little tapas on the table.

Sometimes Life is good.

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Inarah said:
17 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Blah, had my first Soup Friday failure, French Onion Soup turned out to be harder to make than I though.

What went wrong?  It's a favorite when I want something comforting and non-complicated. 

14 hours ago, Crowley said:

It can be a finicky dish. I'm also curious what went wrong. And was it a "totally inedible" or a "well that wasn't very good" type failure?

Couldn't get the onions the caramelise, they turned to mush instead, and there just seemed to be way too many of them. 

After adding the wine and stock and simmering down, I was left with a bland, vaguely onion-scented, porridge-like gloop.

Should've listened to the user reviews that said the recipe was very hit or miss (unfortunately, the same can be said of user reviews so I tend to ignore them).  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

Couldn't get the onions the caramelise, they turned to mush instead, and there just seemed to be way too many of them. 

After adding the wine and stock and simmering down, I was left with a bland, vaguely onion-scented, porridge-like gloop.

Should've listened to the user reviews that said the recipe was very hit or miss (unfortunately, the same can be said of user reviews so I tend to ignore them).  

Ah, yeah, I've had that happen. Although I will say that "way too many of them" is actually probably the right amount.

Today's plan: Study for the FAR exam, clean off my painting tray, and paint something simple. I'm not in a frame of mind that good for character minis right now.

COFFEE!

Oh, and for those who might be interested, Torchlight II is free on Epic Games this week.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Two possible causes: slicing the onions too thick, or cooking with the lid on (they steam instead of caramelizing).  Also, don't try to rush it, low and slow is the way to go.  They brown up better in butter than in oil. 

For flavor I use beef and vegetable paste, and cook the onions with thyme, bay leaf and a couple cloves of garlic. And now I'm hungry. 

Today is shaping up to be a good day to stay in the basement and paint. 

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Two possible causes: slicing the onions too thick, or cooking with the lid on (they steam instead of caramelizing).  Also, don't try to rush it, low and slow is the way to go.  They brown up better in butter than in oil. 

For flavor I use beef and vegetable paste, and cook the onions with thyme, bay leaf and a couple cloves of garlic. And now I'm hungry. 

Today is shaping up to be a good day to stay in the basement and paint. 

I second this opinion.  onions are tricky to caramelize because they have a lot of water in them.  the best trick i have for making this work is to first cut the onions, salt the onions to get them to cough up some water and then cook them starting at the highest temperature you can and slowly lowering the temperature as the water boils off.  I run by ear, you can hear the difference between frying and boiling and i try to stay just above the boiling conditions.  Even then, it doesnt work 100% of the time.  If you want an easier onion soup, i recommend spanish onion soup. 

and staying in the basement to paint sounds like a great idea if i can get my sinuses to stop complaining long enough to let me do anything!

• Like 8

12 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

Yeah, it was the tapioca pearls.  Boba refers to tapioca pearls here (And is also slang for large bosoms apparently.) I haven't heard of bubbles that pop with liquid inside them, but that sounds pretty nice. 

If it's an option, try getting the ones with liquid inside them. Makes it so much better, in my opinion.

• Like 6