Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Somewhere along the line, Brigid decided that dragons are called 'chirp-chirps'.

I'd blame it on her exposure to Crazy Crow - but crows don't chirp....

Her favorite dragon mini came prepainted, from Kay Bee Toys, back when there was a Kay Bee Toys....

image.thumb.png.1daaacd9708fa70c573d7fc70b9eedd6.png

The Auld Grump - I do not think she would like being called a chirp-chirp....

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Haha 12

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Thoramel Those cookies look great!

Happily for me, my A/C is up the extra load created by the oven, because it’s hot as heck outside and my divine inspiration today seems to have come from Hestia rather than one of the Muses (that is, I feel like baking...).  I’ve got a sourdough loaf gradually rising, and baked some whole wheat blueberry muffins to use blueberries from the community-supported agriculture box.  I’ve been taking them to the office to accompany my mid-morning coffee, now that we are starting to go back.

37D2F283-802B-46B5-A947-1AD6D01BAF59.thumb.jpeg.db4ef7a708064d06f5d8267e920132f5.jpeg

I also made biscuits to go with breakfast, but they got eaten without pictures having been taken.

I’ll need to sweep the desk clean again shortly, but I did apply some paint to some miniatures as well, so it’s been a pretty good day already, even if nothing else gets done.

DB025111-BB10-400F-ABFD-0CD817A4B1CE.thumb.jpeg.e5255d970a0a80e2c9f3586957465d67.jpeg

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, Inarah said:
6 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Couldn't get the onions the caramelise, they turned to mush instead, and there just seemed to be way too many of them. 

After adding the wine and stock and simmering down, I was left with a bland, vaguely onion-scented, porridge-like gloop.

Two possible causes: slicing the onions too thick, or cooking with the lid on (they steam instead of caramelizing).  Also, don't try to rush it, low and slow is the way to go.  They brown up better in butter than in oil. 

Sounds like I'll have to give it another go, but do a better job prepping my onions.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Looks like a feathered wing dragon though?

One of the McFarlane Dragons... I think the Series 2 Fire Clan?

The Series 1 is sitting on her mommy's desk - she has a lot of dragons out....

image.png.0af4ecfc06980222f373cfa322ea60d0.png

I remember using him in my game years ago - crippled by giants when he was young, he's still around, but the giants mostly aren't anymore.

The Auld Grump - both fire and ice for his breath weapons... not a good idea for Fire and Frost giants to tick him off.

• Like 9

On 7/16/2020 at 10:40 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Head Start (as it was called then) was where I learned to read - and why Fun With Dick and Jane was such a huge disappointment - by then I was already reading Jules Verne.

For me, Sesame Street and The Electric Company had me reading by the time I'd gotten to nursery school. By the end of first grade I'd plowed through every book Dick, Jane, Sam and Ann ever starred in (because they wouldn't let me progress any faster), but despite my mom's best efforts and personal threats against the principal (lol) they refused to let me skip a grade. So for the first half of elementary school I basically sat in class reading on my own - and my mom also had to fight the school to get them to tell the librarian to let me read books that were supposedly above my level.

When I won the Comstock reading award in the fourth grade, they gave me a really nice copy of Where The Wild Things Are...  :rolleyes: (I'm pretty sure that was the same year I found my copies of the first authorized paperback edition of Tolkien's LotR for 50 cents each at a yard sale.)

Then again, this is the same school system where my kindergarten teacher tried tying my left hand to my chair to get me to learn to write right-handed, and only had four pairs of left-handed scissors in the entire school...

20 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Megan has only once, ever, given me an ultimatum - and that was to drop the horrible playtest of PF2 - and looking at the rules book, all the things we hated most, with the single exception of Inspirations, are still there.

I went in for the $10 level to get the pdf copy, just to see what they did with it, but mostly for the flip-mats.

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Overdid it with cookies last night. 52 chocolate chip and walnut cookies. Going to be dropping off some care packages on a few people's porches today.

I'll send you my address, lol.

51 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I'm off my diet for the weekend. This week was too rough. Need medicinal cheesesteaks. And french fries ::P:

Preach it, Sister!  I stopped by the local pizza place and got me a Potato Pie last night - it's a white pizza (they rub the dough with olive oil, oregano and parmesan) with a layer of thinly-sliced potatoes covered with mozzarella cheese and topped with bacon. I get mine with onions...

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Our interest is at zero or lower.

Megan has only once, ever, given me an ultimatum - and that was to drop the horrible playtest of PF2 - and looking at the rules book, all the things we hated most, with the single exception of Inspirations, are still there.

No one in our playtest group had a good time - as advertising it served the opposite purpose and made us stick with PF1.

Did you ever get to the TPK scenario?  I have heard 2 stories of horrible times with that scenario and the only time i have every had a party walk out on me, even after I had explained that it was intended to be a no-win scenario.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mad Jack said:

Then again, this is the same school system where my kindergarten teacher tried tying my left hand to my chair to get me to learn to write right-handed, and only had four pairs of left-handed scissors in the entire school...

Yah, the whole left handed scissors thing back in the day. I'm left handed, but anything that requires me to cut or use in a similar fashion, I'm right handed.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I was reasonably lucky where I grew up.  Left handedness was not something that was considered wrong, except in that they expected the cursive script to loop like a right hander so my cursive is very straight with a slight right leaning.  but the equipment was very much right handed to i swing a baseball bat right handed, throw balls right handed and do most of the more coarse coordinations right handed and the finer movements like painting, writing and drawing left handed (this is not to imply that i do them well, only how I do them...::P:)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Somewhere along the line, Brigid decided that dragons are called 'chirp-chirps'.

I'd blame it on her exposure to Crazy Crow - but crows don't chirp....

Her favorite dragon mini came prepainted, from Kay Bee Toys, back when there was a Kay Bee Toys....

image.thumb.png.1daaacd9708fa70c573d7fc70b9eedd6.png

The Auld Grump - I do not think she would like being called a chirp-chirp....

Don't think of it as a diminishment of the dragon. Think of it as an uplift of the bird. Birds remember when they were dinosaurs :ph34r: I think birds would appreciate the comparison :B):

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

My poor left hand. I'm NOT used to writing for HOURS by hand... and I think I'm about to finish off one of my ReaperCon pens. We'll see if I'll be able to do any painting tonight, or more note writing tomorrow. Might have to do other studying and give my poor hand a rest. Either way, I'm done for today.

Got the AC cranked. The coffee is gone...

Ready for a beer.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

My poor left hand. I'm NOT used to writing for HOURS by hand... and I think I'm about to finish off one of my ReaperCon pens. We'll see if I'll be able to do any painting tonight, or more note writing tomorrow. Might have to do other studying and give my poor hand a rest. Either way, I'm done for today.

Got the AC cranked. The coffee is gone...

Ready for a beer.

Liked for the progress and the beer, not the sore hand ::D:

You can do it:  Apply paint to mini, use your right hand and see what happens!

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Liked for the progress and the beer, not the sore hand ::D:

You can do it:  Apply paint to mini, use your right hand and see what happens!

This far I have cleared off my tray, and am now trying to decide what's simple that I can work on.

• Like 7

almost finished printing my brewing dragon, but his right arm will need replacement so i need to find something to do with an hour...  Whatever shall i do???  For the first time this week the answer is not curl up in bed and hope the pain goes away!  not feeling great but feeling better and my head does not feel like it will explode. 

Time to see what I can finish on the painting bench

• Like 8