Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

7 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

…but the equipment was very much right handed [so I] swing a baseball bat right handed,…

:upside:

Baseball bats have no handedness?  They are cylinders. Pro switch hitters take full advantage of this..???

Edit: wait, no, not cylinders... but  circular in crossection. And symmetrical about the long axis...

Edited by TGP
geometry words R hard
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hey. First time in awhile resin printer isn't going thanks to a wonky lcd screen. I have one on order so at least that part is taken care, bad news it won't be here till around this time next month (aliexpress order). Thou for the first time in like 9 days, I'm actually preparing myself to go to bed. It was good to get away from work for more then a day at a time. First vacation since my trip to Vegas (so yah I worked the start of the pandemic, all the way up to last Friday morning). Hopefully tonghts load won't be that bad. I mean it is the middle of the month & such, sometimes it can be the slow part of the month. I just gotta go 5 days & I'll be on vacation again!

Hopefully next one I spend more time in the hobby room, I barely even cleaned it up.

• Like 11

An interesting condition exists called cross-dominance. That is where you are dominant with one eye and the opposite hand. Makes it hard for kids playing baseball or archery and is not usually diagnosed until adulthood. More common in the ladies than men and usually is not discovered until someone tries to learn to shoot firearms [especially handguns] playing tennis or learning to play golf, when it will become obvious to a good instructor.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Corsair said:

An interesting condition exists called cross-dominance. That is where you are dominant with one eye and the opposite hand. Makes it hard for kids playing baseball or archery and is not usually diagnosed until adulthood. More common in the ladies than men and usually is not discovered until someone tries to learn to shoot firearms [especially handguns] playing tennis or learning to play golf, when it will become obvious to a good instructor.

That's me right there. Right-handed, but left-eye dominant. Discovered it when learning how to shoot a bow (as you mentioned).

I ended up just shooting like a leftie (right hand on the bow, left pulling back the string). Felt more natural to me anyways.

• Like 9

On 7/17/2020 at 5:05 PM, Corsair said:

@theauldgrump, I too, had that exact book. Just about wore it out over the years...

Me three. I remember that cover. And there were numerous interior illustrations. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Did you ever get to the TPK scenario?  I have heard 2 stories of horrible times with that scenario and the only time i have every had a party walk out on me, even after I had explained that it was intended to be a no-win scenario.

One of the things that I noticed was that James Jacobs was silent.

Look at the PF1 playtest - during that he was anything but silent.

And, noises that I have heard - his Paizo game is PF2, but his home game is not. (Not just PF1 - he plays other games as well, but not PF2.)

Game wrapped early tonight, the first major arc has begun. ::): Not all the goblin zombie goblins in the Public Works are accounted for - there are almost twenty extra dead goblins - all female, all victims of homicide - with their mouths sewn shut to hide that they do not have their tongues,

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

I has a case of the pooped-outs.

-

Today marks the 23rd anniversary of our Nuptials.

Flowers a Card and a small token were presented, the token being a Fitz and Floyd Tortoise and the Hare at the Finish Line Sculpture.

Our Anniversary Dinner was on the patio of our favorite restaurant in Big Bear [Oakdale] followed by a carriage ride in a wrought iron Cinderella Pumpkin Coach.  The coach was strictly serendipity as the regular "limousine" coach is being reupholstered so the coach people borrowed the Cinderella Coach from friends.  But it is particularly significant for us as Cathy chose a Cinderella Theme for our wedding celebration.

I'm dealing with an elevated level of headache as the drive down the mountain had us going straight into the late afternoon sun on the way home.

While in Big Bear I stopped into the Music Store, which is across an alleyway from the restaurant, something that is always dangerous because they have so much good stuff.  Found a Charlie Daniels CD and a treasure for Cathy, Doris Day's Greatest Hits.  She's always been a big Doris Day fan and I know finding this pleased her.

She's making noises about ordering the nerf bar/steps for the truck this week, which will ease her clambering in and out considerably.  I'm tired, going to have a ginger beer and just veg out for the rest of the evening.

GEM

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

My poor left hand. I'm NOT used to writing for HOURS by hand... and I think I'm about to finish off one of my ReaperCon pens.

So, this is a first world problem of the early-to-mid 20th century…  …very much kicking it old school… …only 7? decades behind the times.

If this was 1920 you'd be fussed about  an inkwell running dry….

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

Finally home. The funeral was very emotional, as expected. The hardest part was when we drove by the farm before going to the cemetery; when my dad was put into the hospital I had always said that we should bring him home to keep his spirits up, unfortunately COVID-19 prevented us from taking him from the care home. My ex-sister tried to make drama at my expense again yesterday, and I finally had enough of it. It was bad enough that my other siblings turned on her for once and told her that this wasn't the time. Today was a bit more civil, and we finally laid him to rest. I was his cross bearer at the old cemetery, and I was the last to lay a sheaf of wheat on his coffin. It's been an exhausting day, both physically and emotionally, and I'll be glad to get some sleep. Thank you to all of my friends who have been here for me during this time.

• Like 8
  • Sad 16

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

Interesting to hear about, but thankfully it seems that once someone who knows what it is sees it people can be helped through working with it, and making it an asset.

I never was any good at baseball because I'm a lefty, which would have most people wear the mitt on the right paw... But I never could grasp such - couldn't even catch slowww slow pitches with my right paw.  Got really good for a young-un to catch with left, ditch the glove, then throw though... Well, reasonably decent at it anyways.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

I figured mine out in high school due to our archery unit; I'm right-handed but very much left-eye dominant, which led to all kinds of fun times as detailed below.

4 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

That's me right there. Right-handed, but left-eye dominant. Discovered it when learning how to shoot a bow (as you mentioned).

I ended up just shooting like a leftie (right hand on the bow, left pulling back the string). Felt more natural to me anyways.

Yeah...I spent an embarrassingly long time punching myself in the mouth (never hard enough to do visible damage, just super annoying) before I ever thought to try out a left-handed bow (in order to sight down the arrow properly, I have to pull the string back to my chin instead of my ear). My accuracy decreased (due to even lower strength in my left arm), but no more mouth-punching seemed worth it. :lol: It didn't help that I also have joints that are slightly hyperflexible, so the inside of my poor elbow got the most epic bruises until I learned to rotate my shoulder such that my elbow was no longer in the way of the string when it was released.

Despite all this, I :wub: archery a great deal and miss it terribly. Gotta say, though, compared to these challenges, shooting a firearm was a breeze! I can shoot left-handed with no strength issues, good accuracy, and zero likelihood of self-inflicted bodily harm! :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 14