Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

7 hours ago, TGP said:

:upside:

Baseball bats have no handedness?  They are cylinders. Pro switch hitters take full advantage of this..???

Edit: wait, no, not cylinders... but  circular in crossection. And symmetrical about the long axis...

Bat's aren't but gloves are and there was no way my parents were buying Me a baseball glove so right handed it was and my PE teachers believed that you have bat what you catch so right handed it was.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, haldir said:

Well hey. First time in awhile resin printer isn't going thanks to a wonky lcd screen. I have one on order so at least that part is taken care, bad news it won't be here till around this time next month (aliexpress order). Thou for the first time in like 9 days, I'm actually preparing myself to go to bed. It was good to get away from work for more then a day at a time. First vacation since my trip to Vegas (so yah I worked the start of the pandemic, all the way up to last Friday morning). Hopefully tonghts load won't be that bad. I mean it is the middle of the month & such, sometimes it can be the slow part of the month. I just gotta go 5 days & I'll be on vacation again!

Hopefully next one I spend more time in the hobby room, I barely even cleaned it up.

Since the LCD is a consumable it will happen.

I bought a spare when I bought my printer.

Luckily not had to replace it yet ( knock on wood).

When you do replace it, would you mind taking pics of the process and show it in the 3D thread?

It will be educational for us all I think.

I recommend ordering a second one.

The moment I will have to replace mine, I will use my spare and order a new one right away.

Logistics!!!

We need to keep the printers running, we might not have enough minis to paint otherwise!!!

4 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Finally home. The funeral was very emotional, as expected. The hardest part was when we drove by the farm before going to the cemetery; when my dad was put into the hospital I had always said that we should bring him home to keep his spirits up, unfortunately COVID-19 prevented us from taking him from the care home. My ex-sister tried to make drama at my expense again yesterday, and I finally had enough of it. It was bad enough that my other siblings turned on her for once and told her that this wasn't the time. Today was a bit more civil, and we finally laid him to rest. I was his cross bearer at the old cemetery, and I was the last to lay a sheaf of wheat on his coffin. It's been an exhausting day, both physically and emotionally, and I'll be glad to get some sleep. Thank you to all of my friends who have been here for me during this time.

You did it buddy, now get some rest.

Take care of business later, mourn and remember the good times.

We're here for you if need be.

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

When you do replace it, would you mind taking pics of the process and show it in the 3D thread?

It will be educational for us all I think.

That would be almost as good as having a Technical Manual. :;): :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I recommend ordering a second one.

The moment I will have to replace mine, I will use my spare and order a new one right away.

Logistics!!!

And that is how to keep a squadron of jets at Code 1 status. :ph34r: Don’t  ask how I know. :blues:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TGP said:

If this was 1920 you'd be fussed about  an inkwell running dry….

Well, I suppose one still used some sort of ink reservoir, but the fountain pen was pretty well established by 1920...

On handedness, I’m a leftie.  I would suppose that most of us have learned some “handed” skills with the right hand, just as a matter of survival in a right-handed world.  Left-handed scissors being hard to find, I just learned to use the right-hand versions in my right hand.  I had a right-handed ball glove (i.e., worn on the left) as a kid, so I learned to throw right-handed.  I shoot pool left-handed, and, if I used firearms, would also shoot a rifle left handed.  The few times I’ve used a bow, it has felt right to hold it in the left hand, which would make me a right handed archer.  I used to play the viola da gamba, a Renaissance cello-like instrument, and I played it like a right-handed person, bowing with the right hand and fingering the strings with the left.  (That one I wonder about, because it felt very natural to do that since my left hand is the fine-motor-skills hand—why do right handers finger instruments with the left?)

@Crowley and @Chris Palmer are, or were, part of my local miniatures group.  They’ve add a bunch of members lately, but back in the day, the group used to run ~75% lefties, which made it interesting to go out to a restaurant, since we also ate left-handed.  I’ve often wondered whether that skew ran across the broader hobby.

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, TGP said:

That would be almost as good as having a Technical Manual. :;): :ph34r:

And that is how to keep a squadron of jets at Code 1 status. :ph34r: Don’t  ask how I know. :blues:

That's actually part of my job.

Only not just the one squadron...

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Me, oldest vixen and my girl will be heading for an Ikea trip later this afternoon.

Pray for me!:ph34r:

Don't forget a ball of thread to find your way out once the minotaur is dead.

Might be ordering some IKEA stuff soon for the desk and a storage space for the miniatures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

An interesting condition exists called cross-dominance. That is where you are dominant with one eye and the opposite hand. Makes it hard for kids playing baseball or archery and is not usually diagnosed until adulthood. More common in the ladies than men and usually is not discovered until someone tries to learn to shoot firearms [especially handguns] playing tennis or learning to play golf, when it will become obvious to a good instructor.

Left eye dominant/right handed. Found out in high school when I went shooting with a couple of friends and found my "off hand" groups with a pistol were tighter than my "strong hand" groups. 

While it has been something of a delayed effect, the weeds I slaughtered the day before yesterday have produced a nice early morning thunderstorm I am currently enjoying. Hopefully the humidity will drop enough that my next coat of paint on the 32 Ford bodies won't take three days to fully dry. Since I'm using rattle cans, they're being painted in the garage then brought back inside. The lingering tackiness has been a pain in the elf. Also not having worked on a model kit in years, I got rather spoiled by the fact that minis, even Bones and the more difficult of the Wizkids sculpts, don't require anywhere near the same amount of filing or carving on. At the current rate of "glue something down, don't touch it for 24 hours lest it fall off" I might have the undercarriage done by the end of the week...

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

You can do it:  Apply paint to mini, use your right hand and see what happens!

There have been a number of times over the years where I simply couldn't get a decent angle on the mini with the paint brush in my left hand no matter how I rotated the figure three-dimensionally, so I just switched hands... I need to focus intently when doing anything right-handed (except writing, because I've worked at that), but I can do it nearly as well as with my left hand as long as I practice it.

Oddly enough, I do it most often when painting eyes, which as we all know are often the hardest things to paint, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Me, oldest vixen and my girl will be heading for an Ikea trip later this afternoon.

But, but.... IKEA is awesome. My housemate says that it's basically my Mothership :lol:

My old apartment looked like an IKEA showroom, the only thing that wasn't from there was the fish tanks! It's also great for basing materials - their decorative sand and cork coasters form the basis of most of my  larger bases. Even Ma'al Drakar is sitting on an IKEA cork pot stand just now(it's the only thing that I could find to fit his base!)

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

July 19th is National Ice Cream Day.

I know you will all give it your best efforts in support of this day.

GEM

I'm ready to accept this challenge.

Good luck!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My wife once texted me from Ikea to say going there on a weekend was the worst decision ever. So I took a screenshot of that and now every time she suggests going to Ikea on a weekend I just send that to her. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 8