Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Announcing the arrival of Baby Hamster!

I said goodbye to Lucy this afternoon. It was time. She went peacefully.   She was a good girl.

The lovely piece I commissioned from @kristof65's wife arrived safely!            EDIT: This picture doesn't show it, but some of the glass pieces are iridescent.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Correct. Worked with a guy who spent 3 years in a wheel chair because he tried to tip one. His cousins thought it would be funny to convince him to try it while they were all drunk.

Well, drunk people aren’t known for their good plans and such. 

2 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

random thought:

If Toy Story was real and our toys came to life when we're out of the room, would that include our miniatures? What about the fancy based ones? do they just...hop off their bases, or are they permanently stuck?

i don't know why this has crossed my mind

:remembers the anniversary celebrations: 

I certainly HOPE toy story isn’t real, otherwise I owe my princess dolls an apology :wacko:

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2
1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Apparently Texas calls klobasneks' kolaches' - but proper kolaches are sweet rolls.

Confirmed.

I have had both kinds…

In fact it is possible to find both types within blocks of each other in the Lone Star State. I am pretty sure a Kolache Shoppe can be found somewhere that sells both configurations.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

Spent much of today working on /my/ 3 PC characters for WHFRP 4e. I don't know how I ended up in this situation. Well, I do a little but I don't know /why/ I did it. 

I have Helena the witch hunter. She's hunting a witch who stole her baby. She knows nothing about witch lore. She can read and write.

Then there's Ingrid, she's a pretty average human hunter. Good with animals. Cannot read or write.

And lastly, there is Alrik Axebringer. He is a dwarf pit fighter. He fights in a rigged traveling ring. He wants to prove himself by fighting things that aren't rigged. He has a hammer so I'm trying to come up with a running joke about how he doesn't have an axe.

It should make for an interesting dynamic.

In other news, I woke up at 3:30 this morning, it is now 10 pm, and I am still awake. Hopefully I can get some real sleep tonight. 

I also adulted today! Made a phone call and answered another that was actually for me and not spam. It was the RN who sent me my covid results (negative). She called to check in on me and give me some instructions for if symptoms continue/get worse.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Megan found me a recipe for 'Texas Style Klobasneks'....

Apparently Texas calls klobasneks' kolaches' - but proper kolaches are sweet rolls.

Slightly odd recipe - calls for mixing overnight dough with bread dough.... reads almost like a bagel dough.

I've been using bread dough.

The other big difference is that it has open ends, kind of like pigs in a blanket.

And kielbasa - which might have been the proper sausage all along. <_<

The Auld Grump

The ones I had down there were a baked sweet roll with the sausage sticking out - both normal and cheese sausage varieties.  A favorite treat when I get down that way.  In Arkansas they use donut dough and deep fry them....

• Like 8

If you receive a package of seeds that you didn't order, particularly is it's from out of the country, do not plant them and report the incident to local agricultural authorities. It seems that someone with inimical intention is sending invasive species into the USA in the hopes that they will be planted and spread.  I know we have at least one person in this forum who can explain the hazard that invasive species represent.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 6
2 hours ago, TGP said:

:ik_oops:

If the desk-mate took your computer can you take theirs? :huh:

Do you still have a phone?

If so, call in a trouble ticket to the IT section. Problem: entire computer is missing.

( I bet they insist that you reboot it, <_< ya know, as a first step before they will try anything else… <_< )

Make them requisition a brand new machine.

How was the desk-mate able to take the machine home, I thought you'd mentioned the work done in your building was too confidential to be worked on in a telecommuting situation?

My deskmate works in a different department. My deskmate is able to work from home since she mostly works on cases of employee compliance while I work on taxpayer compliance, which requires more security. My deskmate also likely owns a locking office at home whereas I do not. We shared a computer but did all of our work off of different networked drives. My networked drive is still intact and I can access it from any computer in the Service if need be. But I have to acquire new encryptions and input the admin passwords, I mean, have management input the admin passwords I totally don't know, honest, for every computer I use and I'm tired of that broccoli.

New computers were ordered 2 months ago. Delivery date has been 'early July', 'Thursday July 16th', 'Last Friday', and has now been pushed back to SoonTM

• Like 11
  • Sad 5
59 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

My deskmate works in a different department. My deskmate is able to work from home since she mostly works on cases of employee compliance while I work on taxpayer compliance, which requires more security. My deskmate also likely owns a locking office at home whereas I do not. We shared a computer but did all of our work off of different networked drives. My networked drive is still intact and I can access it from any computer in the Service if need be. But I have to acquire new encryptions and input the admin passwords, I mean, have management input the admin passwords I totally don't know, honest, for every computer I use and I'm tired of that broccoli.

New computers were ordered 2 months ago. Delivery date has been 'early July', 'Thursday July 16th', 'Last Friday', and has now been pushed back to SoonTM

They were already delivered, the mice have them. So get in good with the mice to gain access to the computers.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I certainly HOPE toy story isn’t real, otherwise I owe my princess dolls an apology :wacko:

Considering I SHOT most of my Star Wars and GI Joe guys with a BB gun and have yet to have to put down a toy-zombie apocalypse... You're probably safe.

Or, possibly, toys just aren't allowed to become undead (unless they started out that way) in this edition of the game...

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I am pretty sure a Kolache Shoppe can be found somewhere that sells both configurations.

I did not have to look hard:

https://kolachefactory.com/menu/featured

They have a philly cheese steak kolache  no less, in addition to cream cheese and fruit filled. I don’t know if this is historically/culinarily correct but the Texan practitioners of kolache making identify the word with the dough used, without making any connection to the filling or the way the filling is enclosed by the finished bake. 

@Kangaroorex the place I linked probably belongs on your bucket list. 

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If you receive a package of seeds that you didn't order, particularly is it's from out of the country, do not plant them and report the incident to local agricultural authorities. It seems that someone with inimical intention is sending invasive species into the USA in the hopes that they will be planted and spread.  I know we have at least one person in this forum who can explain the hazard that invasive species represent.

GEM

I don't think that it's necessarily a plot to introduce invasive species to the US. A large percentage of the nurseries in this country are already taking care of doing that. I'm guessing it's actually one of those online review scams. Company sends you an unsolicited package with the cheapest possible item they can find in an envelope marked as something else, in this case what appear to be about a half a cent worth of water lily seeds. That company then uses that unsolicited shipment to artificially boost their sales figures. They then post an online review as if they were the person who received the unwanted package on Amazon or some other ecommerce site that has restrictions about sellers reviewing their own shipments. I'm guessing this implies they have access to a hacked database of online customers and their addresses. I know this stuff exists and happens all the time, but I'm not an expert so I'm not sure how this generates a profit for the scammer.

But solid advice nonetheless. You shouldn't ever plant something received from overseas. Not only could it be incredibly invasive, but they could contain pests and diseases that could prove extremely harmful to native species or agriculture. Especially if it is the type of scam I describe because someone willing to ship the cheapest possible seeds to another country probably isn't concerned about quality control. Also, I could be dead wrong and it could be something more nefarious. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5