Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

On dying coffee makers, I’ve used a pretty low tech system for many years. You just need an external source of boiling water:

2704EADF-A582-4E31-A3DD-76A5F7A66079.jpeg.21f5acb973b7349d947e2ec66605bbd0.jpeg

I was desperately trying to cobble together a pour over device this morning when I remembered the Supernatural coffee maker. I should probably purchase one of these if for no other reason than coffee emergencies.

43 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

On several occasions, there have been odd "coincidences" throughout the forum, brain weasel attacks in paticular seem to come in waves. So the hideous assassination of coffee makers striking forumites in a short amount of time isn't that surprising, other than stroopwaffels, coffee is our primary source of nutrients. So something out there wishes us to starve...and is not afraid of the Wrath of Agamenthar Our Coffee God....

Normally entities of such malignancy and lack of self preservation would be a relatively short list, but this is 2020, and thus the waters are somewhat muddied...

Unicorns- a possibility, but doubtful, they usually try to draw out the "hearts and minds" campaign a bit further. Their lawyer hangs out here, and has probably advised them that such a move would only alienate what support they have on the forum, and an attack on coffee would result in those of us who know the Truth of the unicorns receiving pretty much instant and furious support.

Disclaimer: Their lawyer may try to pin this on me as a "false flag" attack, to try and cloud collective thought on this. As Inquisitor of Agamenthar, I am unable to bring harm to a coffee maker, physically or otherwise. This is not something widely known, as if it were Heretics may begin using coffee makers as shields to hide behind, and I divulge this information only because of the legitimate need with Agamenthar's knowledge and permission.

Mermaids- I'm doubtful it was them. I'm assuming that of all of the recent coffee maker murders have taken place in kitchens that are further than 15-20 ft of a large body of water. They don't like traveling on land and the furthered known mermaid attack from 1930 was 16 feet from a major river, and was basically a suicide assault on the mermaid's part as she did not survive long enough to return to the water. 

Also a side effect of the virus has been a decrease in recreational boating, so the mermaids are far less agitated than they usually would be at this time of the year.

Global Rodent Conspiracy- I have inquired among the mice, and they have no knowledge of any attacks on coffee makers. Elder Mouse is well aware of Our Coffee God Agamenthar and does not wish to provoke Him. Besides, they're busy attempting to take over the IRS. As to squirrels, even in decades past the great Squirrel Kings Gunther, and Fafelgogen, were only able to unite the squirrels of a single county. Since their fall, and then the tragedy of Gunnar, Last of the Squirrel Kings, no single group of squirrels larger than a single tribe has been able to agree on anything, let alone run a world conspiracy. The days when the rivers were buried in the bright crimson sails of squirrels embarking on the Clusters Crusade have vanished now into memory and the world is a lesser place for it...

Mothman and the Channel 7 News Team- They have been strangely quiet this year, probably due to recent events of unrest in Chicago. One of the elder weathermen has passed on recently, whether he was sacrificed by them or struck down by other eldritch things inhabiting the city, I do not yet know.

The Foodie Cultists That Screw With My Rain Summonings- A strong possibility, because if the fad of blaming coffee for ill health has returned, they would jump on that bandwagon at earliest opportunity, and since they know who I am now, would likely strike at the forum since they are not quite strong enough to bypass the Blessings of the Great Pumpkin, and the Wrath of Agamenthar to get at me directly. However I have reason to suspect that they have been taken down a notch recently by their consuming of bags of salad mix that were infected with some kind of parasite, which is probably why I've been able to get rain again until they recover.

Hagravens- They are new to this world, and thus lack the proper fear for Agamentha's Wrath, and are not the brightest of bulbs under the best of circumstances anyway, so such an act of monumental stupidity would fit. However they are currently too involved with trying to steal my bird food to try and launch a wider attack into a world they don't know much about. Unless of coarse they have been adopted into the Foodie Cult and are right now pretending to worship kale so they can subvert and take charge of the Cult from within...

Corrupted Santa- My lead suspect thus far. The vile fiend has in the past desecrated holy grounds of both the Great Pumpkin and Agamenthar Our Coffee God, and in his utter madness seeks the corruption and destruction of all order and beauty, so a forum dedicated to painted miniatures,whether breathing life into them so they may frolic while we sleep, or simply to have pleasingly colored figures to decorate our home or defend us in the afterlife, this would make us a prime target of his maliciousness, for we are the embodiment of all he has come to hate. 

I shall continue my inquiries, the Fat Little Birds have been offered the reward of their body weight in suet to the one who brings me solid evidence of what is behind these grievous murders...the culprit WILL be found.....

edit: The Dread Cheese Lords of Wisconsin are still locked in mortal combat with the state of California over water rights, so it probably wasn't them either.

Reasonable and well delivered, I'm convinced you are correct. 

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

What is that ...thing ...gizmo ...device?

a funnel that holds a coffee filter. you put the filter and coffee grounds in it, then pour hot water on it. then you have coffee

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

On several occasions, there have been odd "coincidences" throughout the forum, brain weasel attacks in paticular seem to come in waves. So the hideous assassination of coffee makers striking forumites in a short amount of time isn't that surprising, other than stroopwaffels, coffee is our primary source of nutrients. So something out there wishes us to starve...and is not afraid of the Wrath of Agamenthar Our Coffee God....

Normally entities of such malignancy and lack of self preservation would be a relatively short list, but this is 2020, and thus the waters are somewhat muddied...

Unicorns- a possibility, but doubtful, they usually try to draw out the "hearts and minds" campaign a bit further. Their lawyer hangs out here, and has probably advised them that such a move would only alienate what support they have on the forum, and an attack on coffee would result in those of us who know the Truth of the unicorns receiving pretty much instant and furious support.

Disclaimer: Their lawyer may try to pin this on me as a "false flag" attack, to try and cloud collective thought on this. As Inquisitor of Agamenthar, I am unable to bring harm to a coffee maker, physically or otherwise. This is not something widely known, as if it were Heretics may begin using coffee makers as shields to hide behind, and I divulge this information only because of the legitimate need with Agamenthar's knowledge and permission.

Mermaids- I'm doubtful it was them. I'm assuming that of all of the recent coffee maker murders have taken place in kitchens that are further than 15-20 ft of a large body of water. They don't like traveling on land and the furthered known mermaid attack from 1930 was 16 feet from a major river, and was basically a suicide assault on the mermaid's part as she did not survive long enough to return to the water. 

Also a side effect of the virus has been a decrease in recreational boating, so the mermaids are far less agitated than they usually would be at this time of the year.

Global Rodent Conspiracy- I have inquired among the mice, and they have no knowledge of any attacks on coffee makers. Elder Mouse is well aware of Our Coffee God Agamenthar and does not wish to provoke Him. Besides, they're busy attempting to take over the IRS. As to squirrels, even in decades past the great Squirrel Kings Gunther, and Fafelgogen, were only able to unite the squirrels of a single county. Since their fall, and then the tragedy of Gunnar, Last of the Squirrel Kings, no single group of squirrels larger than a single tribe has been able to agree on anything, let alone run a world conspiracy. The days when the rivers were buried in the bright crimson sails of squirrels embarking on the Clusters Crusade have vanished now into memory and the world is a lesser place for it...

Mothman and the Channel 7 News Team- They have been strangely quiet this year, probably due to recent events of unrest in Chicago. One of the elder weathermen has passed on recently, whether he was sacrificed by them or struck down by other eldritch things inhabiting the city, I do not yet know.

The Foodie Cultists That Screw With My Rain Summonings- A strong possibility, because if the fad of blaming coffee for ill health has returned, they would jump on that bandwagon at earliest opportunity, and since they know who I am now, would likely strike at the forum since they are not quite strong enough to bypass the Blessings of the Great Pumpkin, and the Wrath of Agamenthar to get at me directly. However I have reason to suspect that they have been taken down a notch recently by their consuming of bags of salad mix that were infected with some kind of parasite, which is probably why I've been able to get rain again until they recover.

Hagravens- They are new to this world, and thus lack the proper fear for Agamentha's Wrath, and are not the brightest of bulbs under the best of circumstances anyway, so such an act of monumental stupidity would fit. However they are currently too involved with trying to steal my bird food to try and launch a wider attack into a world they don't know much about. Unless of coarse they have been adopted into the Foodie Cult and are right now pretending to worship kale so they can subvert and take charge of the Cult from within...

Corrupted Santa- My lead suspect thus far. The vile fiend has in the past desecrated holy grounds of both the Great Pumpkin and Agamenthar Our Coffee God, and in his utter madness seeks the corruption and destruction of all order and beauty, so a forum dedicated to painted miniatures,whether breathing life into them so they may frolic while we sleep, or simply to have pleasingly colored figures to decorate our home or defend us in the afterlife, this would make us a prime target of his maliciousness, for we are the embodiment of all he has come to hate. 

I shall continue my inquiries, the Fat Little Birds have been offered the reward of their body weight in suet to the one who brings me solid evidence of what is behind these grievous murders...the culprit WILL be found.....

edit: The Dread Cheese Lords of Wisconsin are still locked in mortal combat with the state of California over water rights, so it probably wasn't them either.

No doubt embroiled with the forces of the Demi-God William Mulholand and his band of Water Jacks, which would explain why the Owns Valley is greening back to its original verdant lushness.

GEM

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

random thought:

If Toy Story was real and our toys came to life when we're out of the room, would that include our miniatures? What about the fancy based ones? do they just...hop off their bases, or are they permanently stuck?

i don't know why this has crossed my mind

If?

Oh, they come to life, alright.

The painted and based ones are the RINGLEADERS! They coordinate all the rest into groups based on their skills and talents in order to accomplish their goals. Their goals are many, and oft times inscrutable.  One of their primary goals of course is to increase their numbers by getting their bare metal, plastic, and resin brethren assembled and painted. The mages and mad scientists have joined together to create items of techno-wizardry which they turn on their jailers (that's YOU, btw). Have you ever wondered where all those flashes of inspiration, and super-cool ideas come from? Oh sure, you THINK they're your ideas, but are they really? Can you be sure?

The signs are all there to be seen by those who know what to look for.

If you've got a dog or a cat, watch them, they know the signs.

Does your pet ever just suddenly stop and stare at nothing for a little while?

Miniatures.

Does the dog ever excitedly bark at nothing?

Miniatures.

Why does your cat tear around the house at zero-dark-thirty at MACH 10 for no reason?

Miniatures.

Remember that very important whatever it is that you put in a 'safe place' that you can no longer find?

Miniatures.

Have you ever gone through your collection and wondered when (or why) you bought 3 copies of a figure?

Well, when an elven druidess really loves a human ranger...

Have you ever sat down to paint and wondered how that orc that you put on top of the paint rack on the right hand side ended up on top of a paint bottle next to the rinse cup?

This is just about the least subtle hint that you can get. If it's gotten to this level, it's probably already too late.

Save yourselves while you still ca

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I am immune to the stroopwaffel effect!

This has been tested, someone at work brought them and I walked away ::P:

You monster!:wow:

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

17 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If you receive a package of seeds that you didn't order, particularly is it's from out of the country, do not plant them and report the incident to local agricultural authorities. It seems that someone with inimical intention is sending invasive species into the USA in the hopes that they will be planted and spread.  I know we have at least one person in this forum who can explain the hazard that invasive species represent.

GEM

We have a few Australians here...

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, TGP said:

What is that ...thing ...gizmo ...device?

Made of ceramic, if I'm not mistaken. My mother has one because her roommate abuses the coffee maker and she likes good coffee. 

From what I understand it is kind of to coffee what a ceramic well pallette is to painting (easy to use, easy to clean; a substantial step up from plastic).

Where a French press is equivalent to a wet pallette (requires some technique, harder to maintain, but the results can be worth it if you get it right). 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:
11 hours ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!

Why is it that reheated coffee tastes to different from fresh?

*Makes fresh coffee*

Natures way of telling you to drink it before it gets old...

He said different, not worse...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

COFFEE!!

*Makes fresh coffee*

Cold brewed Coffee does not have this problem. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

COFFEE!!

*Makes fresh coffee*

True... I mean, it is worse. Nothing* is better than a freshly brewed cup of coffee

14 minutes ago, TGP said:

Maybe true, but... you're still stuck with cold coffee, and who wants that?

Work day done, dinner consumed, dishes washed, corgis walked. Study time...

*I mean, yeah there are actually better things, but not that many.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Ah, playing hard to get huh?

Take this!

image.png.24d64da98bf1d213836ca306df5cf202.png

We have cakes in Scotland too, you know ::P:

911240469_ScottishWeddingCakes.jpg.088d667ed5259b9d8f578c1c85fe624a.jpg

• Haha 16

For several hours yesterday I was convinced it was a Thursday.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

31 minutes ago, Crowley said:

True... I mean, it is worse. Nothing* is better than a freshly brewed cup of coffee

You're right, I'll stick with Nothing.

Edited by sumbloke
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

It is currently day 5 of my 3 day work week, working a late shift to try and catch up what the four day work week people can't get done with twice the people and four more hours in a week than we have.  At least the thunderstorms have cooled the air temp from 96 F (heat index of 106 F)

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

You're right, it starts out tasting bad...

56 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Maybe true, but... you're still stuck with cold coffee, and who wants that?

I'll agree that little is better than fresh brewed coffee, but cold coffee with plenty of milk and ice is pretty darn good, too. 

53 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Also, how is it only Tuesday?

You mean tomorrow is not Thursday? 

• Like 6