Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Good luck with that. I know you've experienced Reapercon, but living there is quite a culture change from NY. 

I know. That's actually what has me the most worried about the whole thing.

I'm hoping that my 20 years of vagabonding around the world and living in different regions/cultures in the Navy will help somewhat.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm probably a dissident then, I love icecream, yoghurt, cottage cheese and aged cheese, also blue cheese.

I hate milk and do not like young cheeses otherwise.

So...am I worthy or a sinner?

The Fair Lady Dairivina is forgiving, and while she desires complete, devout service, she will welcome you into her loving arms.

Your distaste for her greatest gift (milk, that is) is concerning, but is a sin that can be forgiven. We offer counseling for those kinds of evils, if you want it.

Milk - it does a body good!

3 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

No problem, whenever you're ready.

Heads up though, I've got a narrative that ties into dairy based off Wisconsin being the remnants of Mordor, ruled over by the surviving ringwraiths, known as the Dread Cheese Lords (Merciless and Eternal), who are currently at war with California over water rights. A while back they were trying to get past the wardstones on the Illinois border using the bodies of people as "skinvolopes". So if you can use any of that, feel free.

I am quite aware of these fiends, cursed be they and all their miserable servants. Traitors are they to our Fair Lady and Goddess.

• Haha 8

@PaganMegan and @Crowley: I actually stumbled across that near exact recipe last year. British-style baked potatoes was the name. Won’t go back to the other way.

The only difference was it said to use vegetable oil rather than butter. It specifically said to not use olive oil, as it would possibly catch fire at those temps. I will have to try the butter next time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

I'm hoping that my 20 years of vagabonding around the world and living in different regions/cultures in the Navy will help somewhat.

The question is, is Texas ready for you?

Poor souls..

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Yes, my upcoming move to Fort Worth will put me fairly close to Reaper. While that's a pleasant coincidence, the main reason for moving is that my job is moving to the area; I like the job enough that I'm willing to gamble on the move.

Good luck with the job move and all the attendant "fun".

GEM

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

And the Java Wars begin anew!

Ahhh....coffee...

>Trundles through thread pushing Tea Caddy.<

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Coffee from noon to 4pm. Tea from 4pm to midnight. Wine or hot chocolate or rum after midnight. Asleep by 4am. Water intermittently throughout the day.

Time your beverages correctly and you won't be afflicted by these strange and unnatural loyalties. You'll be able to enjoy all of them.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

Coffee from noon to 4pm. Tea from 4pm to midnight. Wine or hot chocolate or rum after midnight. Asleep by 4am. Water intermittently throughout the day.

Time your beverages correctly and you won't be afflicted by these strange and unnatural loyalties. You'll be able to enjoy all of them.

I have a slightly different schedule, but a similar breakdown.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

No excuse now, not to miss RCon now! Good to see some loyalties with the job too.

Well anther scorcher here (when will it end!?!?!?!). Doing what I can to stay cool & to help the bunny keep cool as well. Oddly, one of her favorite spots to lay down is behind a rake we leaned against the house. So yesterday I ended up draping one on her chair towels over it. It's now her go to spot these last couple days. Currently have the sprinkler going near her. Hoping it'll at least keep the area cooler for her.

• Like 6

Anti-steam: I just discovered that you can pop the top off a dropper bottle and pour the paint into a real pot, adding years to your life with the sudden lack of stress-induced blood pressure! Even better, this means I don't actually have to buy GW washes again but can keep refilling my existing pots with cheaper stuff!

Steam: Why didn't anybody tell me about this before?!? :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

53 minutes ago, haldir said:

No excuse now, not to miss RCon now! Good to see some loyalties with the job too.

Well anther scorcher here (when will it end!?!?!?!). Doing what I can to stay cool & to help the bunny keep cool as well. Oddly, one of her favorite spots to lay down is behind a rake we leaned against the house. So yesterday I ended up draping one on her chair towels over it. It's now her go to spot these last couple days. Currently have the sprinkler going near her. Hoping it'll at least keep the area cooler for her.

Today is supposed to be the peak for temps this cycle, with a moderation of temps starting tomorrow and continuing into the week.

You guys should be part of the same weather system so hopefully it will start to cool for you as well.

GEM

Just now, Weird-O said:

Anti-steam: I just discovered that you can pop the top off a dropper bottle and pour the paint into a real pot, adding years to your life with the sudden lack of stress-induced blood pressure! Even better, this means I don't actually have to buy GW washes again but can keep refilling my existing pots with cheaper stuff!

Steam: Why didn't anybody tell me about this before?!? :angry:

If you want to extend the life even more, store your paints in as close to airtight containers as possible.  I use cookie [biscuit] tins and will tape the joint shut for long term storage.

I have Floquil Model Railroad Paints that I have treated with this care for a couple of decades and the paint remains viable, which is good because Floquil is no longer in business and it is illegal to manufacture and sell paints, even in hobbyist quantities, to their formulation in the USA.  It seems they use some of the petroleum distillates that when fed to lab rats in quantities that would be the equivalent of feeding the rats a bottle of paint minus pigments every day caused cancer.

Nobody makes a paint with the adhesion and thin film qualities, while providing excellent opacity, that Floquil achieved.

GEM

I'll put my soapbox away now.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I have Floquil Model Railroad Paints that I have treated with this care for a couple of decades and the paint remains viable, which is good because Floquil is no longer in business and it is illegal to manufacture and sell paints, even in hobbyist quantities, to their formulation in the USA.  It seems they use some of the petroleum distillates that when fed to lab rats in quantities that would be the equivalent of feeding the rats a bottle of paint minus pigments every day caused cancer.

Nobody makes a paint with the adhesion and thin film qualities, while providing excellent opacity, that Floquil achieved.

Bummer. Floquil made the BEST primer I have ever used. All my old Reaper models are undercoated with it. I might even have a jar of it left somewhere. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

As with most things, the ingredients that make a product work best are usually also the ones that will kill you.

I've had tacos like that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

2 hours??

How deep is the cross you cut in it?

Not deep.

Maybe a quarter inch - but you don't have to be precise, as long as you get through the skin.

Look up 'jacket potatoes' - I think of them as more roasted than baked.

I use butter, but any oil can be used. Butter, garlic, salt, and pepper, rubbed or brushed on the skins. Melt the butter first, mix in the rest, abd brush or rub it on.

And, yeah, it seems too hot and too long, but the results do not lie.

The insides will be low moisture, and thirsty for butter.

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Maybe a quarter inch, maybe less. Try it, just one potato, as a start.

The skin is crispy and crunchy, flavored by the butter and salt I slathered it with.

The flesh is fluffy, and soaks up the butter and cheese

My thought when Grump showed me was that can't be right. Way too hot. Way, way too long.

Two hours later, whooo boy! Was I ever happy to be wrong!

Tonight I am asking Grandda for his recipe, but I bet it is almost the same as Grump's. Way too hot, way, way too long.

There may be a reason Grump insists on russets for baking. Those skins hold in the moisture, and turn into deliciously crunchy goodness.

Whites, reds, and Yukon gold for mashing or pot roasts.

We go through a LOT of potatoes, almost like we are Irish or something! :lol:

There is, and that is it. ::):

4 hours ago, Pegazus said:

@PaganMegan and @Crowley: I actually stumbled across that near exact recipe last year. British-style baked potatoes was the name. Won’t go back to the other way.

The only difference was it said to use vegetable oil rather than butter. It specifically said to not use olive oil, as it would possibly catch fire at those temps. I will have to try the butter next time. 

Like I said, I learned them as jacket potatoes - it takes longer, but so worth it.

And the extra time is passive - you can do other things while they cook.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

As with most things, the ingredients that make a product work best are usually also the ones that will kill you.

Only if you drink the stuff.

And to have the equivalent intake of what was fed to the rats you'd need to drink about a gallon a day for 6 months or more.

GEM

• Like 7