Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Bummer. Floquil made the BEST primer I have ever used. All my old Reaper models are undercoated with it. I might even have a jar of it left somewhere. 

Stuff comes up on the Bay of EE regularly.

But it's somewhat of a crap-shoot as you have no idea what the storage conditions have been.

Cool and dark, you're good.  But the seller probably has no idea of the history of storage as if it's job lots it's most likely from a closed down hobby shop.  Singles, somebody's hobby materials being disposed of by family.

GEM

• Like 4

Ugh, I hate waiting for minis to dry.  No, not for paint to dry... For the minis to dry after they've gotten a soapy, bubbly bath so they can be primed...

• Like 7

*carries in a soap box, carefully places it on the ground, then stands on it*

SANS-SERIF FONTS ARE AWFUL AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED FOR ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE, PARTICULARLY MEDICAL DOCUMENTS. 

*steps off soap box, picks it up, and strolls back out of the thread*

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 14
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

SANS-SERIF FONTS ARE AWFUL AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED FOR ANYTHING OF IMPORTANCE, PARTICULARLY MEDICAL DOCUMENTS. 

Huzzah! 

I was going to sarcastically reply in Sans Serif, but Reaper doesn't have one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 2

First paintball game on my farm in 2 years. A small group of 20+ year old guys wanted to do it for a stag night for one of them. Almost all were locals that I know their parents well but never had much to do with the kids because they are older than mine. Nice bunch and we all had fun. Hoping this will turn into something regular. The only big let down was my paint was terrible. I've never had so many broken balls and jammed markers. Kept me and the kid busy cleaning them. At least the paying customers weren't upset and I charged them way less than anyone else I've heard of. The temperature wasn't even the super nasty hot we had a couple days ago. Pretty toasty but bearable. Between this and a couple days soaking in salt water I guess I had a good 3 day vacation.

7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Maybe a quarter inch, maybe less. Try it, just one potato, as a start.

The skin is crispy and crunchy, flavored by the butter and salt I slathered it with.

The flesh is fluffy, and soaks up the butter and cheese

My thought when Grump showed me was that can't be right. Way too hot. Way, way too long.

Two hours later, whooo boy! Was I ever happy to be wrong!

Tonight I am asking Grandda for his recipe, but I bet it is almost the same as Grump's. Way too hot, way, way too long.

There may be a reason Grump insists on russets for baking. Those skins hold in the moisture, and turn into deliciously crunchy goodness.

Whites, reds, and Yukon gold for mashing or pot roasts.

We go through a LOT of potatoes, almost like we are Irish or something! :lol:

49 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Not deep.

Maybe a quarter inch - but you don't have to be precise, as long as you get through the skin.

Look up 'jacket potatoes' - I think of them as more roasted than baked.

I use butter, but any oil can be used. Butter, garlic, salt, and pepper, rubbed or brushed on the skins. Melt the butter first, mix in the rest, abd brush or rub it on.

And, yeah, it seems too hot and too long, but the results do not lie.

The insides will be low moisture, and thirsty for butter.

There is, and that is it. ::):

Like I said, I learned them as jacket potatoes - it takes longer, but so worth it.

And the extra time is passive - you can do other things while they cook.

The Auld Grump

Need to try that out. Mostly we just did quick microwaved potatoes until it messed up out microwave. Some day when it's cooler.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ugh, I hate waiting for minis to dry.  No, not for paint to dry... For the minis to dry after they've gotten a soapy, bubbly bath so they can be primed...

I knew I forgot to do something today....

Put them near a fan or an air vent. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

At least it wasn't in Comic Sans

27 minutes ago, MusicalFeline said:

Arial is a Sans Serif font

Courier New is somewhere between the two

Times New Roman is a Serif font

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Agreed, mostly.

My problem isn't really with sans serif fonts as a whole but those fonts that render 1 (number one), I (capital I), and/or l (lower case L) with identical or almost identical glyphs, which includes many (but not all) sans serif fonts.

For coding, I prefer Consolas (developed by Microsoft, or Inconsolata, created as a less-encumbered version of Consolas), which is a mostly sans serif font.  The only serifs used are those necessary for telling characters apart.  They're also monospace fonts so they're not useful for general use (like documents) but they should be fine for printed forms and the like.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Huzzah! 

*APPLAUSE!*

GEM

Recovering from an hour and a half of no electricity due to a Wide Area Power Outage.

We Hatses WAPOs, yes we does.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

My problem isn't really with sans serif fonts as a whole but those fonts that render 1 (number one), I (capital I), and/or l (lower case L) with identical or almost identical glyphs, which includes many (but not all) sans serif fonts.

So true. So absolutely true.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

On my device the whole forum appears in a Sans Serif Font.  Not sure which one, but it is Helvetica, Arial, Univers, or some clone of one of those. 

Everything you or @OneBoot typed is in a Serif Free Typeface :upside:

What? precipitated this:

Huzzah! 

Most HIPPA forms I have had to fill out are in some generic font rather like this forum is displayed with...

:huh:

...not getting the j/k ??

• Like 7

Oh, That...?

6 minutes ago, MusicalFeline said:
19 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

So true. So absolutely true.

The USAF, and probably the entire US Military, figured out the solution to this ages ago. Probably before the Korean War. 

Part numbers that have a mix of letters and numbers ARE FORBIDDEN FROM USING upper case I or upper case O. 

Lists enumerated with letters A-Z (for example the designations of detail boxes) never, ever, no not ever...!!!  use a capital O or a capital I. 

Such a list is always ...G,H,J,K... and ...M,N,P,Q...

Simple. Problem solved. Ages ago. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Our neighbours gifted us durian yesterday, it was my first time trying it and I liked it! The taste took a little getting used to, though. The texture is amazing and even though I like the smell, when you're close to the fruit it is really intense. Whole house vaguely smells like durian now, it's not horrible. 

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

Oh, That...?

The USAF, and probably the entire US Military, figured out the solution to this ages ago. Probably before the Korean War. 

Part numbers that have a mix of letters and numbers ARE FORBIDDEN FROM USING upper case I or upper case O. 

Lists enumerated with letters A-Z (for example the designations of detail boxes) never, ever, no not ever...!!!  use a capital O or a capital I. 

Such a list is always ...G,H,J,K... and ...M,N,P,Q...

Simple. Problem solved. Ages ago. 

When I was working in a field where these types of enumerations occurred the rule was SOIL - basically because those characters are most likely to be misread as numbers (and because noone was consistent on using upper or lower case)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1