Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Oh, That...?

The USAF, and probably the entire US Military, figured out the solution to this ages ago. Probably before the Korean War. 

Part numbers that have a mix of letters and numbers ARE FORBIDDEN FROM USING upper case I or upper case O. 

Lists enumerated with letters A-Z (for example the designations of detail boxes) never, ever, no not ever...!!!  use a capital O or a capital I. 

Such a list is always ...G,H,J,K... and ...M,N,P,Q...

Simple. Problem solved. Ages ago. 

A lot of silly vilians never got the memo.

GEM

• Like 6

I'm tired. I've been getting up too early and staying up too late. Not of my own free will either. 

I spent today cleaning some, playing Marvel Champions, and WHFRP 4e with Husband. It's been a good day overall. I am heckin' tired though but probably won't get to sleep for another hour or so.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

I knew I forgot to do something today....

Put them near a fan or an air vent. 

While we do have fans, most of them are whole room air movement fans, so they don't quite work too well for such sadly.  Well, not if you want the mini staying in one piece, anyways.  Air vents require central air circulation, which our apartment doesn't have - it's a radiant heat baseboard kind of system, aka el cheapo apartment heating. <_<

I dealt with it the simplest way I could - work on other minis in the meantime, as 35C apartment temps tend to coax things into drying off reasonably quick...

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

I was going to sarcastically reply in Sans Serif, but Reaper doesn't have one.

@ratsmitglied beat me to it; I was referring to fonts lacking in serifs in general. 

10 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Agreed, mostly.

My problem isn't really with sans serif fonts as a whole but those fonts that render 1 (number one), I (capital I), and/or l (lower case L) with identical or almost identical glyphs, which includes many (but not all) sans serif fonts.

This is exactly what precipitated my brief moment of Uppercase Shouting. It came to a head today when I needed to do data entry on a stack of forms two inches thick, which apparently had been typed by someone whose capslock key appeared to be malfunctioning. I mean, if it had been left on, that's annoying but at least I can figure out whether the first letter is an L or an I. However, when things are inconsistently capitalized, it gets exceptionally tiresome having to stop and try to determine whether it's an I or an l. I've got a couple hundred pieces of paper to get through, I ain't got time for dis! :angry:

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Oh, That...?

The USAF, and probably the entire US Military, figured out the solution to this ages ago. Probably before the Korean War. 

Part numbers that have a mix of letters and numbers ARE FORBIDDEN FROM USING upper case I or upper case O. 

Lists enumerated with letters A-Z (for example the designations of detail boxes) never, ever, no not ever...!!!  use a capital O or a capital I. 

Such a list is always ...G,H,J,K... and ...M,N,P,Q...

Simple. Problem solved. Ages ago. 

The nice part about medical coding (which is not part of my current job, sadly) is that the code books do the same thing (mostly; the letters O and I are still used in a handful of places, but the manner in which they are used means it will always be a letter and not a number you're looking at). 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I came across something called Turnip28, an upcoming ruleset for what has been described as "dark fantasy Napoleonic wargaming with a horrible root vegetable theme". The art work and converted minis I've seen for it remind me strongly of Mordheim. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I came across something called Turnip28, an upcoming ruleset for what has been described as "dark fantasy Napoleonic wargaming with a horrible root vegetable theme". The art work and converted minis I've seen for it remind me strongly of Mordheim. 

I rather like the theme, it's pretty grim! Lots of fun stuff I've seen there.

Went to the game store, they were out of Tamiya Plastic Cement and I had to get the GW plastic cement. Sigh. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

While we do have fans, most of them are whole room air movement fans, so they don't quite work too well for such sadly.  Well, not if you want the mini staying in one piece, anyways.  Air vents require central air circulation, which our apartment doesn't have - it's a radiant heat baseboard kind of system, aka el cheapo apartment heating. <_<

I dealt with it the simplest way I could - work on other minis in the meantime, as 35C apartment temps tend to coax things into drying off reasonably quick...

We have overhead vents in the game room. I figure if it can dry my paint palette, it can dry water. :)   Also 5-10 feet is an ideal distance from a fan, for drying figs.  Usually I plan and do them the day before, then procrastinate on painting for a week.

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

Speaking of getting up way too early...<_<

Yeah, with a headache, too.

• Like 8

Letters and all that...   

Here in Norway, the letters I, M, O, Q, Æ, Ø and Å are not used on license plates. 

The letters G and W are only used in special series. 

And certain letter combinations such as SS and NS are not used on cars. 

(I expect most can figure out why the first was not used. The second set was the letters of the homegrown elfholes of the same time.)

They are used on '4digit' signs for motorbikes, mopeds and tractors, though. 

If you have a Chevrolet SuperSport, you can of course apply for 'SS' plates...  

If you buy a new Jaguar XK or Subaru XV, the odds are that the dealer has already secured the 'right' plates for it already.

Dealers can order sets of plates and keep in storage for when they sell a car, and do the registration and plate assignation online, so that there's no need to visit the local DMV in order to get the car on the road. They'll even print out a temporary registration paper. (The proper one, with security codes will arrive in the mail automatically)   

80% of what you had to queue for you can now do online...  and a lot of people do. 

So much that some locations have reduced the number of desks, and others even have days they're closed. 

(The staff does paperwork and phone duty on 'closed' days. )

Now, back to more serious items...   

My all time favorite tea is a blend of black tea and hibiscus leaves aptly named 'Garden of Eden'... 

But today I tried a new(to me) blend called 'Irish Morning'(90% Chinese black tea, coconut, strawberry leaves and thistles... ) and yeah, it's GOOD. 

It'll definitely go on the 'must buy more of this' list. 

But for the coffee God... 

I must admit to usually keeping a stock of BlackBlack chewing gum at hand, particularly if there's a conference coming up... 

My car is broken... again... 

(It's 21 years old... bits wear out... )

This time it was a fitting on the air filter housing that broke off. 

And on that fitting sits a tbe that comes from the head cover. (breather tube), and without the elaborate springloaded system in the housing, it let hot oil spray all over...   How the elf it didn't spray onto the exhaust manifold and catch fire I have no idea... 

(I know that the manifold gets hot enough to almost instantly cause room-temp oil to catch fire... )    

And that housing and fitting is made of a very, very 'fat' plastic made to survive hot oil and whatever else happens to hit it...   

And yeah, the fitting is poorly made. It was already broken when I got the car, and had just been epoxied in place. 

(That didn't last... SO I drilled small holes and 'sew' it together with wire and filled in with epoxy... nd that fix has now broken)   

That housing is of course not available on any 3rd party site. And I'm not going to waste $50 - $100 to order one from the dealer, because I don't expect a new one to last too long, either... 

(I drive on some very, very bumpy roads sometimes. And that puts a lot of stress on items like that) 

I wanted to use a tube of 'plastic weld' to try to fuse the parts back together, but my local HW shop had discontinued their version, with no direct replacement, so I spent an afternoon hitting up more or less possible stores for a similar product. 

NO one had it.

But I came across something else... 

A Locktite Superglue with the text 'ALL Plastics'... 

They even claim PE and PP can be glued... 

So far it seems to be holding, but I haven't installed the part back in the car, yet...    

It's a two-part CA glue. A 'marker' that you use on the surfaces, then let dry for 60 seconds, and the actual glue you put on before forcing the parts together. 

A lot of comments is about the plastic cap on the tube gluing stuck after the first use... 

But some also comment that you can break it loose if you hold it in boiling water for 2 minutes. 

Anyway, if that stuff really can glue PE and PP plastic... it's worh the $8 - $12 it costs in stores. Even if it's only a 4gram tube.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

that makes sense, because it grew out of a mix of mordheim and inquisitor 28

• Like 6

A good friend of my youngest stepvixen has been tested positive.

Meaning youngest now has to be in quarantine.

We have to maintain distance, she has no signs yet.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 24

13 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

that makes sense, because it grew out of a mix of mordheim and inquisitor 28

Yep, I did some more digging, turns out it's being made by one of the Mordheim illustrators. I found a certain amusement in how the setting's warbands being rival vegetable cults dovetails somewhat with my Prophesy of the Lords of Produce. Right now I'm trying to decide if I should go with a potato cult, or fudge things a bit, and do a pumpkin based warband, and hope that I can use "counts as" when the rules come out.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I know. That's actually what has me the most worried about the whole thing.

I'm hoping that my 20 years of vagabonding around the world and living in different regions/cultures in the Navy will help somewhat.

Ah, you'll make a great redneck - you've got the beard for it...

• Haha 10

12 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Agreed, mostly.

My problem isn't really with sans serif fonts as a whole but those fonts that render 1 (number one), I (capital I), and/or l (lower case L) with identical or almost identical glyphs, which includes many (but not all) sans serif fonts.

For coding, I prefer Consolas (developed by Microsoft, or Inconsolata, created as a less-encumbered version of Consolas), which is a mostly sans serif font.  The only serifs used are those necessary for telling characters apart.  They're also monospace fonts so they're not useful for general use (like documents) but they should be fine for printed forms and the like.

I'm getting college flashbacks from my C+ programming classes in the 90s.

The damn class document *did * have that font where you could confuse letters and numbers. And when we're talking about computer code, it *does* make a difference.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Contacted the Commander.

I will be working from home this week then.

After that 3 week vacation..

• Like 12