Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Lots of dreams last night, woken up at around 2am cause Lucy was restless. Woken up around 4:30 cause Alice ate something she shouldn't have and needed to go out. Woke up around 6... just cause... then slept till almost 9. Which didn't make up for it.

COFFEE!!

• Sad 10

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

A good friend of my youngest stepvixen has been tested positive.

Meaning youngest now has to be in quarantine.

We have to maintain distance, she has no signs yet.

Ooof!  Hope it turns out to be the asymptomatic/mild type.

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

My all time favorite tea is a blend of black tea and hibiscus leaves aptly named 'Garden of Eden'... 

But today I tried a new(to me) blend called 'Irish Morning'(90% Chinese black tea, coconut, strawberry leaves and thistles... ) and yeah, it's GOOD. 

It'll definitely go on the 'must buy more of this' list. 

The black/hibiscus blend sounds nice. I can't wrap my head around coconut in tea....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Ooof!  Hope it turns out to be the asymptomatic/mild type.

The black/hibiscus blend sounds nice. I can't wrap my head around coconut in tea....

The black/hibiscus tea has been my favorite for almost 3 decades now...   

You should be able to find it online, but please note that there's a lot of different blends with the same name, and most of them contain mango, lemongrass or even - in severe cases of 'it's good in another blend so of course we must add it - peppermint... 

Coconut just adds a bit of sweetness without any real flavoring at all. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

The black/hibiscus tea has been my favorite for almost 3 decades now...   

You should be able to find it online, but please note that there's a lot of different blends with the same name, and most of them contain mango, lemongrass or even - in severe cases of 'it's good in another blend so of course we must add it - peppermint... 

Coconut just adds a bit of sweetness without any real flavoring at all. 

I am sensitive to the taste of coconut, but not in a bad way.  Case in point, I was given a tin of cookies, the kind that come from your part of the world and have the word "butter" in the name.  Only in this case the manufacturer had used inexpensive coconut oil instead.  I could smell it and taste it, but no one I shared with could. To me it seemed very definitely coconut flavored, so I fear a small amount in tea would be too much. 

I drink hibiscus in the evening because it has no caffeine, but I also like the flavor and it would be good with a nice black leaf tea during the day. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

We have to maintain distance, she has no signs yet.

My sympathies, that's a tough thing to go through, especially for younger folks. :down: Does she paint or have any other crafting-type hobby? I have a few friends who have had to quarantine away from family members, and it sounds like having something purposeful to do for those two weeks can help a lot. 

--OneBoot :)

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

My sympathies, that's a tough thing to go through, especially for younger folks. :down: Does she paint or have any other crafting-type hobby? I have a few friends who have had to quarantine away from family members, and it sounds like having something purposeful to do for those two weeks can help a lot. 

Alas, oldest is the craft type, youngest is the party type:down:

• Sad 13

Semi-productive day. Studying wasn't particularly productive, but I think I've got stocks & equity concepts down... Need to do more practice questions though.

Almost time to wrap up the boring stuff, and watch Olympus has Fallen with some friends via Netflix party. Then D&D!

• Like 9

Maybe it will be a mild illness in her case if she has it at all. 

Could they test her?

Find out for sure, instead of a long wait?

In the next 14 days she might develop one of a 100 different illnesses that could mimic  the official symptoms list. It is not just fever anymore. 

Any symptom, caused by any ordinary illness, that one would normally treat with over the counter medicines, could instead be Covid. Any two of these will do:
  • Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headache
  • New loss of taste or smell
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea

Or maybe none of them...

Contacted the Commander.

I will be working from home this week then.

RNLAF taking no Ünecessary chances then. 

(I am so proud of my autocorrect right now, it inserted that Ünecessary umlaut all by itself !! ::D: Twice in a row!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news: they have rolled out a less invasive testing procedure using saliva samples at sites near me. 

Has that tech reached the Netherlands yet, Wolf?

• Like 7

@TGP they will test when she developes symptoms.

For now quarantine since it's a close friend who was tested positive

• Like 5

@Glitterwolf Sorry to hear about your youngest,  I do hope everything works out!

tonight's challenge is the next edition of 'what do we do with the spuds!' A friend of ours runs a garden for a local restraunt and has a tendency to drop the over production on anyone who stops by (not that i am complaining) which can lead to some interesting effects on our dinner menu.  Case and point:  Last week my wife came home from visiting with 20 pounds of freshly dug potatoes (red, gold and white)  which now leads to a question of how to consume them as my wife is on a keto diet and potatoes are not really on her menu. 

Tonight's attempt is Pommes Anna.  one of my favorite dishes if it comes out right.  if it doesn't its still delicious just usually as soup or chips...

• Like 8

16 hours ago, OneBoot said:

@ratsmitglied beat me to it; I was referring to fonts lacking in serifs in general. 

This is exactly what precipitated my brief moment of Uppercase Shouting. It came to a head today when I needed to do data entry on a stack of forms two inches thick, which apparently had been typed by someone whose capslock key appeared to be malfunctioning. I mean, if it had been left on, that's annoying but at least I can figure out whether the first letter is an L or an I. However, when things are inconsistently capitalized, it gets exceptionally tiresome having to stop and try to determine whether it's an I or an l. I've got a couple hundred pieces of paper to get through, I ain't got time for dis! :angry:

The nice part about medical coding (which is not part of my current job, sadly) is that the code books do the same thing (mostly; the letters O and I are still used in a handful of places, but the manner in which they are used means it will always be a letter and not a number you're looking at). 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Set those forms aside till you can have a talk with your supervisor.  In the interim, complete all the forms that are legible and intelligible.

If it's just one of twp sources that are causing all the problems then it needs to be dealt with at a level above your "pay grade".

When you have your talk with supervisory person explain that these few forms are slowing down production and taking X amount of extra time to decipher.

Best of luck

GEM

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Letters and all that...   

Here in Norway, the letters I, M, O, Q, Æ, Ø and Å are not used on license plates. 

The letters G and W are only used in special series. 

And certain letter combinations such as SS and NS are not used on cars. 

(I expect most can figure out why the first was not used. The second set was the letters of the homegrown elfholes of the same time.)

They are used on '4digit' signs for motorbikes, mopeds and tractors, though. 

If you have a Chevrolet SuperSport, you can of course apply for 'SS' plates...  

If you buy a new Jaguar XK or Subaru XV, the odds are that the dealer has already secured the 'right' plates for it already.

Dealers can order sets of plates and keep in storage for when they sell a car, and do the registration and plate assignation online, so that there's no need to visit the local DMV in order to get the car on the road. They'll even print out a temporary registration paper. (The proper one, with security codes will arrive in the mail automatically)   

80% of what you had to queue for you can now do online...  and a lot of people do. 

So much that some locations have reduced the number of desks, and others even have days they're closed. 

(The staff does paperwork and phone duty on 'closed' days. )

Now, back to more serious items...   

My all time favorite tea is a blend of black tea and hibiscus leaves aptly named 'Garden of Eden'... 

But today I tried a new(to me) blend called 'Irish Morning'(90% Chinese black tea, coconut, strawberry leaves and thistles... ) and yeah, it's GOOD. 

It'll definitely go on the 'must buy more of this' list. 

But for the coffee God... 

I must admit to usually keeping a stock of BlackBlack chewing gum at hand, particularly if there's a conference coming up... 

My car is broken... again... 

(It's 21 years old... bits wear out... )

This time it was a fitting on the air filter housing that broke off. 

And on that fitting sits a tbe that comes from the head cover. (breather tube), and without the elaborate springloaded system in the housing, it let hot oil spray all over...   How the elf it didn't spray onto the exhaust manifold and catch fire I have no idea... 

(I know that the manifold gets hot enough to almost instantly cause room-temp oil to catch fire... )    

And that housing and fitting is made of a very, very 'fat' plastic made to survive hot oil and whatever else happens to hit it...   

And yeah, the fitting is poorly made. It was already broken when I got the car, and had just been epoxied in place. 

(That didn't last... SO I drilled small holes and 'sew' it together with wire and filled in with epoxy... nd that fix has now broken)   

That housing is of course not available on any 3rd party site. And I'm not going to waste $50 - $100 to order one from the dealer, because I don't expect a new one to last too long, either... 

(I drive on some very, very bumpy roads sometimes. And that puts a lot of stress on items like that) 

I wanted to use a tube of 'plastic weld' to try to fuse the parts back together, but my local HW shop had discontinued their version, with no direct replacement, so I spent an afternoon hitting up more or less possible stores for a similar product. 

NO one had it.

But I came across something else... 

A Locktite Superglue with the text 'ALL Plastics'... 

They even claim PE and PP can be glued... 

So far it seems to be holding, but I haven't installed the part back in the car, yet...    

It's a two-part CA glue. A 'marker' that you use on the surfaces, then let dry for 60 seconds, and the actual glue you put on before forcing the parts together. 

A lot of comments is about the plastic cap on the tube gluing stuck after the first use... 

But some also comment that you can break it loose if you hold it in boiling water for 2 minutes. 

Anyway, if that stuff really can glue PE and PP plastic... it's worh the $8 - $12 it costs in stores. Even if it's only a 4gram tube.

This sounds like a job for a product called J-B Weld.  It's a metal filled 2 part epoxy that is strong enough that it is used to literally glue engine blocks together. This is the retail packaging for the original product:

1046758591_JBWeld.png.52cf6d56db24492558410d4ab6cc2eed.png

They have expanded the line into several niche products as well.

If I were having this sort of difficulty with a no longer available plastic part I would encase the entire molding with about a 1mm layer of J-B Weld and use a heavier layer over all the stress points where it has broken in the past.

Addendum: After the material has set it can be carved, filed, ground, or machined so any close tolerances/clearances can be maintained

We used to use a similar product produced by GE when I was in the Navy, as a sealant for the pressurization housing for the portions of a radar set that required less than 10,000 feet atmosphere to function properly.  This on a high performance jet fighter routinely thrown off the front end of an aircraft carrier and then "trapped" by a steel cable to bring the craft from 160mph+ to zero in less than 200 feet on landing.  Lots of vibration, temperature changes, and angular stresses that you won't experience on an automobile, so it should do the job.

Good Luck

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Introduce her to online D&D - if she can't join one type of party, she can join another....

The Auld Grump

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:But for the coffee God... 

I must admit to usually keeping a stock of BlackBlack chewing gum at hand, particularly if there's a conference coming up... 

Blackblack gum is SO good. Love how strong it is and how it can stay fairly flavorful for hours on end... now I get why you said you like it at conferences.

• Like 4

As I prepare to once again do battle with the backyard, the thought has occured to me that perhaps the strong and instant sense of resonance I felt upon learning of Turnip28 comes from the similarity of the game's premise with the fact that the weeds I am about to maul are ruled by their own "god root"....

Leading me to ponder once again, the exact nature of my entrenched foe and also contemplate what measures I would have to take if the "god root" of the weeds ever got itself a warband of dedicated cultists.....

I am also pondering whether or not Turnip28, like the works of Three Dog Night, is another set of Prophesies is hidden form.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

57 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

28 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Bury her in a stack of books? (Made of paper... :ph34r: )  Make her read her way out... ::P:

• Haha 11