Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

4 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Question for you all. Now that it's nearly lunchtime for most of you, time to reflect on breakfast!

What do you drink with your breakfast?

1. Milk!

2. Coffee.

3. Tea.

4. Orange juice.

Yaaaay, divisive questions that may lead to another war!

1&2 and sometimes 4.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

>> Calculates :: it has only been 15 hours since I bothered eating anything, …not particularly feeling hungry… feels sad for the puny folk who get all weak and shaky if they've gone without food for six hours. Wonders what that's like. <<

I would describe it as "like hell".  It really, really isn't an enjoyable thing, doubly so because your body usually waits to the last moment before going "HIIIIII, FEED ME!" and you suddenly are unable to walk, and you literally have to shakily crawl on all fours to the kitchen and hope you have something snacky you can stuff into your face in order to have enough blood sugar to actually make something proper.

Yup, speaking from experience.  That was not an enjoyable day, nor was the two days of recovering from such.

Annoying enough, that point hits while I'm supposedly in the "good" range according to paramedics, and they're all "well, why can't you walk?" and I'm "haven't eaten for 12 hours, and I told you four hours ago I ~NEEDED~ to eat" and their only reply is "but your blood sugar is good!" <_<

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, OneBoot said:

However, the human elements keep mucking things up. :lol:

This keeps me employed way more than simple machine failures do. 

Take, for example, my last three calls - all of them were sites who's credit card transactions stopped processing sometime during the first week of July. Had these three sites been following their weekly maintenance schedule, the problem would have been caught when it was generally a five minute fix.  Nope, they all wait and discover it when their bank statement arrives, and they see no credit card deposits.  That means that things got so backed up that it takes an hour or more to deal with manually resetting the stuck transactions. 

I've been doing a lot of scolding today, and sending copies of our preventative maintenance schedules to people who should know better by now. 

In other rants, the saga with my wife's difficult client continues. 

After scouring all relatively local sources for the glass the customer wants, we can't find any source that has more two the types/colors he wants, other than the company he went browsing at. 

Spoiler

by relatively, I mean within a six hour drive of Des Moines (Chicago, Minneapolis, Omaha, Kansas City & St Louis)

So we had to open up an account with them, and place an order there. And we ran into a new problem. When my wife quotes prices, she uses an average cost per square foot of the glass based on her inventory average, but the quotes have the caveat that certain glass types will increase the cost. For most projects, this works out fine, she only adjusts the price if the project uses a lot of the more expensive glass types. 

Out of the nearly dozen glass types this client picked, two of them were below her average, one was right at average and the rest were well above average. And of course, the more of a particular color he wants, the more expensive glass type he chose.  By now in my rant, it should be no surprise to you that the one color he wants the most of costs more than double her average glass price. So she had to requote. 

Three of the colors he picked are called striker glass.  Striker glass is glass that changes color when it's fired in a kiln. For a normal stained glass project this isn't an issue. But in this project, we're painting his company logo on a piece and then firing it into the glass, plus he asked us to paint some details onto another portion in the same way. And so, of course, the color he picks for those particular portions are striker glass. So we had to get him to sign off on that. 

Those are just the issues we threw back to him for resolution - there were more.  One of the types of glass he wants only comes in 48" x 96" sheets because it's technically an architectural glass. Not only was the cost of that much glass outrageous, but we'd have to account for extra cutting or crating charges. The company was able to recommend a virtually identical glass in the more usual size for the stained glass market - 24" x 48". They told us the difference between the two was the pattern repeat - the larger sheet has a larger pattern before it repeats.  Since all the pieces of it in the client's pattern will be smaller than a handprint, the client should never know we substituted. 

Several of the other colors have a minimum orders that are 2x-9x more glass than she needs for this project, so she's getting stuck with a bunch of inventory. Fortunately, all but the architectural glass is considred fusible w/ the specs we use in our kiln, so we'll use them faster than she would just with stained glass pieces, but there goes a lot of the profit that could have been made if she could have pulled from her existing inventory.  She's really annoyed about that, as it cut into the amount of spending money she'll have when she's done. 

And then he annoyed her even more because it took him over 24 hours to respond to the requote and another 24 hours to submit the additional deposit. He spoiled her by paying the first invoice within the hour...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

@Inarah & @TGP, I am so distressed to hear of your depravity in this regard. Breakfast is not optional.

Milk! It does a body good!

It does not do this body any good. It does some very nasty things, in fact.  There are alternative methods of getting calcium. 

But fear not, fellow feline of the Flat Lands, breakfast was not "missed" today.  The magical life-sustaining qualities of tea sustained me through my morning errands.  Tomorrow I return to my normal schedule of bacon, egg, and carbolicious baked goods, followed by a pilgrimage to the gymnasium.

39 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Well today was 2. But I feel like no one is mentioning some of the more popular breakfast drinks:

1. Blood of my enemies
  2. Tears of the vanquished
  3. Ichor of Bel Shamharoth
  4. Scotch

It's like no one understands a balanced breakfast any more.

Depends what time you have breakfast. I suppose. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Well almost dinner now, but breakfast was Kuman Panda black tea with milk and sugar and a poptart

so 3.

Somehow this looked more impressive in my mind.

• Like 6

Breakfast was a couple of small powder donuts this morning. With my work schedule, if I'm hungry in the morning, I'll eat whatever I can find.

Drinks usually are whatever I can find in the fridge but NEVER! coffee or tea or hot cocoa. I'm not one for hot beverages (even on cold days).

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Question for you all. Now that it's nearly lunchtime for most of you, time to reflect on breakfast!

What do you drink with your breakfast?

1. Milk!

2. Coffee.

3. Tea.

4. Orange juice.

Yaaaay, divisive questions that may lead to another war!

90% of the time it is milk. The other 10 % is orange juice.

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

1. Blood of my enemies
  4. Scotch

I had that all mixed together one time at a bar. By special order of the UN, I am forbidden to speak of the events of the following week.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Dying my hair idea still sounds good so I'm gonna do it when we pay off Bones V. We still have about $100 of stuff to buy. I cut my hair dye shopping cart down to about $60 this morning though. If tax wasn't a thing I'd have enough after PayPal gives me my money for my commission I did. That's a whole other can of worms though. 

In other news, I'm trying to think of a good painting/hobbying tip I can write a blog post about. On Tuesdays I post a short to medium length tip on Instagram. On the first Tuesday of the month I'll write an accompanying blog post to expand on it. I forgot it was August. I forgot the first Tuesday is tomorrow. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

But fear not, fellow feline of the Flat Lands, breakfast was not "missed" today.  The magical life-sustaining qualities of tea sustained me through my morning errands.  Tomorrow I return to my normal schedule of bacon, egg, and carbolicious baked goods, followed by a pilgrimage to the gymnasium.

Cease thine speech, friend! For mine stomach doth attack mineself with thine words of scrumptious eats!

Gosh, now anyone that actually knows old English is offended by my butchering of it. Ah well.

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

90% of the time it is milk. The other 10 % is orange juice.

YES! YES! YEEEEES!

A fellow comrade recognizes the might of milk! Hail Dairivina!!!!

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Well today was 2. But I feel like no one is mentioning some of the more popular breakfast drinks:

1. Blood of my enemies
  4. Scotch

It's like no one understands a balanced breakfast any more.

At least for me, it's very hard to come across 1 and 2. Both because acquiring them usually results in my pain, and it's very difficult to have an intense fight from six feet away.

Not balanced? Whaddya mean it's unbalanced!? Bacon, bacon, bacon, and bacon, with a glass of milk on the side, is a perfectly balanced breakfast!

@Glitterwolf can back me up on that.

Edited by MusicalFeline
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Currently looking for VTT tokens for my game. It almost feels like I'm gathering up miniatures for a game. ha ha

• Like 6

>> wanders off toward kitchen. Thinking about breakfast. Haven't made eggs in awhile <<

• Like 7

I'm cooking an old fashioned meatloaf dinner, with mashed potato, and spinach salad.  A couple of bacon wrapped home-grown jalapenos on the side for me.  DH has put Blackmore's Night on the music player. 

• Like 10