Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

@Rahz good luck with the progressives.  Between an inability to move my neck more than 5 degrees and a serious back issue, I'll stick with cheaters.  The 6x versions do well with minis and lesser cheaters for other things.  I do hope they work for you!

I am using an assortment of ‘cheaters’, anywhere from 1.5x — 3x.  It varies by what I’m trying to do, different screens, different distances...

...I don’t have a good source for 6x. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

image.png.a9a215bf1fe4369de2168cef4a9eabab.png

And we have the real Smarties here as well, not the sugar lumps that the neighbours down south have. We call those ones Rockets!

I call them "avoid at all costs....edible chalk!"

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

@Pezler the Polychromatic

In that case you're both not talking about the real Smarties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarties

8 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Recipe? :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

She used a Dr.Oetker Mix for regular Cheesecake for the base.

Added Smarties to the bottom cookie mix.

Added 500ml Cottage Cheese ( Kwark)

Added 250ml Whipped Cream

Added 400 ml water

60 grams Butter

Made the layers with food colouring

Topped it off with the smarties.

All in a 24cm baking tray.

image.png.854f46d2e75a6b657a578a9033a97100.pngimage.png.548912287debc8d8d6feff1945599def.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

At the risk of endangering what few sanity points still remain, I have delved further into the subject of Fungal Prophesies....

Thus far the earliest is a rockabilly song written and released by Terry Noland in August* of 1958, entitled "There was a Fungus Among Us". In 1961 the Prophesy was also rendered by Hugh Barrett. (One day I will figure out how to link youtube to posts, but it is not this day.)

Within the Prophesy itself, two things are made abundantly clear.

1: The Fungus is the cause of violent altercation at a party.

2: No one knows where/who it is, "Which one is the Fungus?"

Combining these shows that the fungus is drawn to human gatherings, and has an ill effect upon them, while at the same time some manner of concealing it's true nature, even from those who recognize it is there and are actively seeking it. 

How does this apply to our current situation?

With the ending of lockdown in many places, human gatherings are more frequent, which seems to have been taken as a "Go" signal by the Fungus. Why did it not make it's move sooner? Because it needed the baleful influence of 2020 to gain it's full power, needed to wait until gatherings resumed, and maybe it has something to do with the month of August itself, stars being right again or some such...

The Prophesy concerns itself with a fistfight breaking out at a party, whether this was meant to be taken literally, people who have been cooped up for months unleashing pent up steam at gatherings under the Fungal Influence or as a metaphor for something larger in scale is yet to be seen. What is clear is that even though I've jumped onto this relatively early, the Fungus's ability to obfuscate and deceive is formidable enough that advance warning and dedicated seeking might not be as effective as usual against it. 

I am also considering the possibility that the Fungus was the true cause of my recent computer/internet annoyances, a preemptive strike. In a way, that would be a good sign, as it shows a certain lack of confidence, if it was worried about being identified so soon after emerging, that means that there exists a way to stop it. Logic along the lines of "If it bleeds, we can kill it."**

*62 years later the Zombie Cicada emerge in the same month, coincidence, or something far more sinister?

**Does not apply to meatloaf, don't ask me why, years of experiments have yielded not the faintest of clues. 

Spoiler

If any of you were wondering as to why I've seemed to dial the madness up to 11 and break off the knob in recent days, the answer is thus... recent events have been really lending themselves to this kind of thing so theorizing is now in easy mode, I've been having a helluva time trying to find motivation to paint or write in the conventional sense, so the creative frustration is building into truly irritating levels and I am in overwhelming need to distract myself from politics because as Buglips put it so well, I'm getting "stabby" on the subject. (Which is something I reserve for other areas of the internet, fret not I will not bring it here)

So basically I'm trying to up the scale and depth of my weirdness here in an attempt to not only funnel creative frustration and excess passion into something harmless and fun, but also as a way of hopefully entertaining all of you and providing a distraction from more serious things. Whether or not I'm succeeding in that is another story, but since rereading some of my recent utterings and realizing that I'm probably coming off as a frothing madman I figured I'd give everyone an explanation before I was forced to start dodging the men in the white coats coming to take me away haha hehe hoho. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Serenity said:

I haven't made the leap to progressives, so your tale of how you adapt to them would be interesting. 

I've seen there are different kinds of progressives, some that are general purpose (far, mid, and near) and others that are better for reading or better for computer distance.  It is difficult for me to imagine how those would work out in reality.

I'm thinking it might be easier to wear bifocals, rather than progressives, for reading, but I don't know how well they'd work for painting.  I use a magnifying visor with single-vision glasses for painting now.

I had the option to go with bifocals AND driving glasses.  I did not want to juggle several pairs of glasses (these are transitions too so they darken in the sun) because I know me and I would always be without the pair that I need. 

Brief update as I didn't wear them too much yesterday as I playing with a drill press and saws...  I put the new glasses on first this morning and they are bothering me less than yesterday when I was going back and forth between pairs.  My old ones were only meant for the computer but I got horrible headaches when I kept taking them off and putting them back on, so ended up just wearing them full time.  Another reason I didn't want multiple pairs as I worried I'd go through the same... 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I am using an assortment of ‘cheaters’, anywhere from 1.5x — 3x.  It varies by what I’m trying to do, different screens, different distances...

...I don’t have a good source for 6x. 

the smiling box company is where I got mine.  They were less that 8USD each

3 hours ago, haldir said:

one man's chalk is another man's treat.  These versions of smarties are some of my favorite candies. (along with others like soda caps)

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well... better. But reading answers like this.... uff.

It's early so I'm either super sharp or delusional, but your quoted answer made sense to me. Changes in belief affecting a previous assumption altered the year's beginning balance, so the delta must be counted as income. Funny it didn't delve into if it could be counted as an expense as well if the starting number went down rather than up.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Serenity said:

I haven't made the leap to progressives, so your tale of how you adapt to them would be interesting. 

I've seen there are different kinds of progressives, some that are general purpose (far, mid, and near) and others that are better for reading or better for computer distance.  It is difficult for me to imagine how those would work out in reality.

I'm thinking it might be easier to wear bifocals, rather than progressives, for reading, but I don't know how well they'd work for painting.  I use a magnifying visor with single-vision glasses for painting now.

I had to get progressives last year. I love them but not paying for them. My eyes have been terrible for all my adult life so glasses were always a big expensive. Progressives doubled that. BUT I went from mild headaches and not being able to see what was in my hands (without taking the glasses off and almost rubbing my nose on the item) and reading books to being practically back to normal (for me anyhow). Still use magnifying glasses for painting and other small detail work but at least can see without them if necessary. I thought that I'd be doing the bobble head like I have seen with some people wearing bifocals, hunting for the perfect spot to see clearly. Turned out to not really be an issue. Whoever designed the gradient positions knew what they were doing. The focus changes to suit the most likely viewing position very closely. It's very rare I find myself consciously moving my head to focus and that's usually when I'm doing mechanic work in tight spots.

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, Rahz said:

I had the option to go with bifocals AND driving glasses.  I did not want to juggle several pairs of glasses (these are transitions too so they darken in the sun) because I know me and I would always be without the pair that I need. 

Brief update as I didn't wear them too much yesterday as I playing with a drill press and saws...  I put the new glasses on first this morning and they are bothering me less than yesterday when I was going back and forth between pairs.  My old ones were only meant for the computer but I got horrible headaches when I kept taking them off and putting them back on, so ended up just wearing them full time.  Another reason I didn't want multiple pairs as I worried I'd go through the same... 

I switched a couple years ago.  My biggest issue was getting used to the stairs being a bit blurry all the time while going down. Other than that they work pretty well (trying to get the numbers off motorcycles from the tower is a bit of pain, but then that isn't something most folks do.....). I don't use mine for painting though, as I "try" to keep my head up keep my neck happy.  I have a pair that were designed to focus at my normal painting distance (I have astigmatism in each eye as well, so they can be "in focus" for a range but only really IN FOCUS for a specific distance). Although in the last year I've started using a magnifier over those (which then adjusts my painting distance but I've gotten used to it).
The first year I had progressives I didn't change the lenses in my sunglasses, but by the end of the summer it was driving me nuts that I couldn't read anything (like my phone) with them on, and would have to switchback to my progressives...

• Like 8

Wow, I just really had to backtrack there.

Smarties are also a chocolate candy.

Here I thought we were talking about those crunchy little sugar ones.

Alright, time to reset mental calculations and begin anew with reading these posts...

Wow, I just really had to backtrack there.

Smarties are also a chocolate candy.

Here I thought we were talking about those crunchy little sugar ones.

Alright, time to reset mental calculations and begin anew with reading these posts...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

Tired as heck. Been sort of hectic and going to get more so, need to get my laptop looked at soon too and I need that for school. Hope all here are doing well!! 

Edited by BadgersinMeadows
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

So I entered a contest to win a Steam copy of Pathfinder Kingmaker. I won. Then I found out we already have a copy. Would anyone here be interested in it? I don't want anything in return I just want it to go to someone who doesn't have it and wants it.

'grats on the win. Alas I also own a copy. It's a pretty decent game too

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Pezler the Polychromatic

In that case you're both not talking about the real Smarties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarties

She used a Dr.Oetker Mix for regular Cheesecake for the base.

Added Smarties to the bottom cookie mix.

Added 500ml Cottage Cheese ( Kwark)

Added 250ml Whipped Cream

Added 400 ml water

60 grams Butter

Made the layers with food colouring

Topped it off with the smarties.

All in a 24cm baking tray.

image.png.854f46d2e75a6b657a578a9033a97100.pngimage.png.548912287debc8d8d6feff1945599def.png

In Canada we only have the Nestlé Smarties.

• Like 7