Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 minute ago, OneBoot said:

(it goes behind, since a blank space is treated as before the letter A). I also plan to do a simple, one-page document with common filing errors/questions (for example: where do hyphenated names go? Answer: treat it like any other record with two last names, the hyphen is analogous to a space). 

I don't know that I knew that...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Reminder: in a collision between heavy truck and motorcycle, the heavy truck almost always wins. 

This message brought to you by the dead motorcycle driver on the side of the road while I was driving back from my parents. 

• Sad 24

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

that seems to be the SOP fro credit card companies. We get calls all the time from our dealers because of errors in credit card processing,   and they'll call us to say "I'm getting an error number 822 trying to process a credit card transaction" and we'll say "Well, thats not the format for our error messages, it's being generated by the credit card company, so you'll need to call them and get them to tell you what the errors" and they'll tell us "I already called them, they said since the error is being displayed by your program then it's in your code"  ....  so appearantly we're not supposed display the error message reported by the credit card company?

the answer is obvious:  you are supposed to read all of the credit card companies error codes, develop troubleshooting routines, and provide support so they don't have to.  Pass the buck for the win! 

2 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Reminder: in a collision between heavy truck and motorcycle, the heavy truck almost always wins. 

This message brought to you by the dead motorcycle driver on the side of the road while I was driving back from my parents. 

unless the driver has a motorcycle with a reinforced depleted uranium frame, a rocket launcher,  and one of those airbag bubble suits, you are probably right.  but if he is someone out of a car wars game, the guy driving the truck is in for a wicked surprise

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

This reminds me of a bus trip with my grandmother when I was like 9 or 10 years old. The bus pulled past the accident scene that involved a car & bike. The person on the bike was hands & helmeted head first into the hood of the car. I don't know if the person was alive or dead, but how far the head was into the hood, I don't think so.

• Sad 14

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

OMG....

So First Data, one of the biggest credit card processing platforms out there, is apparently doing some sort of audit of accounts. Already today I've had several of my site owners contact me because apparently the city that is programmed to show up on customer's credit card statements is not the correct city for the physical address of their car wash, and First Data is demanding they fix it ASAP and telling them to contact their equipment manufacturer to get that done. 

Here's the thing, though. That's not something that's programmed within our equipment - it's programmed in the account settings for the merchant in the First Data servers. All we program is the merchant and terminal numbers that have been assigned, and those numbers are used to validate the account when a transaction is sent.   So all I can do is tell them they need to call their First Data account representative to get it fixed. :wacko:

This is not fun - I never like telling someone "Sorry, you have to call the people who told you to call me in the first place."  Because that generally means they have no clue.  And now I can't help but wonder how many of these accounts are going to get broken when account representatives go poking around trying to fix them. 

No doubt they will be broken in "unique" and "interesting" ways that will generate hours and hours of troubleshooting time, for which you will only receive a tithe of the times actual value.

Good Luck.

GEM

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, haldir said:

This reminds me of a bus trip with my grandmother when I was like 9 or 10 years old. The bus pulled past the accident scene that involved a car & bike. The person on the bike was hands & helmeted head first into the hood of the car. I don't know if the person was alive or dead, but how far the head was into the hood, I don't think so.

In a situation like that, a broken neck is often the CoD.

I've been witness to the aftermath of a number of grisly "accidents", most of which can be attributed to negligence or recklessness on somebodies part.

FYI: Roughly 70% of motorcycle accidents involve a turning situation where the four wheeler driver isn't alert enough to see the motorcycle.

Most of the "accidents" that happen on restricted access highways are preventable.  Often you have a situation where the motorcycle rider thinks he's invincible, isn't trying to mentally drive every vehicle around him [a necessity if you want to become an old motorcycle rider fully aware of his own mortality] and is doing something inherently stupid, too often with fatal consequences.

I'll put my soapbox away now.

GEM

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

In a situation like that, a broken neck is often the CoD.

I've been witness to the aftermath of a number of grisly "accidents", most of which can be attributed to negligence or recklessness on somebodies part.

FYI: Roughly 70% of motorcycle accidents involve a turning situation where the four wheeler driver isn't alert enough to see the motorcycle.

Most of the "accidents" that happen on restricted access highways are preventable.  Often you have a situation where the motorcycle rider thinks he's invincible, isn't trying to mentally drive every vehicle around him [a necessity if you want to become an old motorcycle rider fully aware of his own mortality] and is doing something inherently stupid, too often with fatal consequences.

I'll put my soapbox away now.

GEM

in this case it was on a 25mph road and the bike appears to have hit the back side of the truck some how

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

46 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

the answer is obvious:  you are supposed to read all of the credit card companies error codes, develop troubleshooting routines, and provide support so they don't have to.  Pass the buck for the win! 

I don't think that needed to be in purple...<_<

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

No doubt they will be broken in "unique" and "interesting" ways that will generate hours and hours of troubleshooting time, for which you will only receive a tithe of the times actual value.

Good Luck.

GEM

I have no doubts that you are correct. 

At least this afternoon's problems have involved helping people get fiberglass fixed. That's much easier. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

in this case it was on a 25mph road and the bike appears to have hit the back side of the truck some how

Squid on the bike going to fast for sight lines plows into back of vehicle proceeding at posted speed.

How lots of squids get made into squid jelly.

GEM

20 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Due to the current pandemic, dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.*

* See C-19 surcharge schedule.

GEM

• Like 6

Just got my son's schedule for senior year of high school - 

1st Period - Metals Technology

2nd Period - Chemistry

3rd Period - Team Sports

4th Period - American Government

Does anyone else see what I saw?

Or am I the only sick one here? 

Spoiler

Looks like the schedule you might see at a terrorist training camp...:devil:

The first two classes for assembling pipe bombs, the last two classes for assembling your team and choosing targets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 18

17 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Just got my son's schedule for senior year of high school - 

1st Period - Metals Technology

2nd Period - Chemistry

3rd Period - Team Sports

4th Period - American Government

Does anyone else see what I saw?

Or am I the only sick one here? 

Reveal hidden contents

Looks like the schedule you might see at a terrorist training camp...:devil:

The first two classes for assembling pipe bombs, the last two classes for assembling your team and choosing targets. 

Well yah Team Sports & American Govt don't go together...............:devil:

59 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Due to the current pandemic, dirty deeds will no longer be done dirt cheap.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf4KsYaG7aleZu87fGxGm

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

that seems to be the SOP fro credit card companies. We get calls all the time from our dealers because of errors in credit card processing,   and they'll call us to say "I'm getting an error number 822 trying to process a credit card transaction" and we'll say "Well, thats not the format for our error messages, it's being generated by the credit card company, so you'll need to call them and get them to tell you what the errors" and they'll tell us "I already called them, they said since the error is being displayed by your program then it's in your code"  ....  so appearantly we're not supposed display the error message reported by the credit card company?

Perhaps you need an error message along the lines of "ERR001A: Error 822 reported by credit card company. Please report this error to credit card company." 

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, haldir said:

Well yah Team Sports & American Govt don't go together...............:devil:

What are you talking about.  US government is an American team sport: you have two teams trying to kill each other to score points for their side while their fans yell insanely and make derisive comments about the opponents.  Sounds the same to me...

• Like 5
  • Haha 13