Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Sour brew beers are apparently trendy here in the US among the craft brewers lately, and I would think that a beer/lemonade or some other acidic/citrus beer would be just the thing after a long bike ride...

• Like 5

I added icecubs to an already cooled Radler, very refreshing!

Last year we were in Greece and we had that in 500ml glasses, we had 4 of those in a short time...

Some chips to go with them..

Anyway..

Making dinner.

Potato slices from the oven covered with a bacon/ onion sauce and grated cheese.

Assorted vegetables from the oven with herbs, goat cheese and honey

Some sweetened cooking pears

Pork tenderloin

• Like 8

12 hours ago, kristof65 said:

One of the reasons (a minor one) that our engineer will never allow the source code for his applications to be released is because his programmers use variable and function names like "dumb_tax" and "idiot_check". 

while I have not gone that far, I have confused some of my inheritors with these systems.  Our HMI (human machine interface) uses a master server and then satellite servers which provide information to local clients.  the company calls their server clusters 'galaxies' and I couldn't resist.  The master server (the general repository or GR) I named Sol with the local clients being called Terra, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.  then the Satellite servers were got named Alpha Centuri, Proxmia Centuri, Ross, Procyon, and Bernard.  I then used exoplanet names and science fiction planet names for the clients. 

Apparently my successor was not an astronomy or science fiction buff and could not figure out how I had named the servers and I was constantly getting calls on how things connected and what was connected to what.

I have also been known to name my controllers after various peoples names like Fred, George, Charlie, etc.  Again, the number of calls I get from those places about what I was thinking.  This has eventually led to some interesting conversations about how Charlie died recently but I was sure that I could bring him back in another day or so, or how we were planning on throwing George out and replacing him with Myrtle. 

10 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Depends on the stance used with the zweihander - the two handed sword is actually an amazingly versatile weapon.

Bittner and Kohler stances would both work very well in most dungeons, and in a 5' wide dungeon corridor would be excellent at maintaining standoff against a shorter weapon.

image.png.98fb58ddfd7ce016e1b5754f16578eb9.png

image.png.57fd15bff50f4f8a6e602c8bd9f93a11.png

*EDIT* A two handed sword can be used very much like a short polearm.

The Auld Grump

These make sense, right up until the player says 'I swing my sword in a wide arc slicing everything in front of me.'

Me: 'your in a 5 foot corridor'

player: 'so?'

me: :blink:

I know its just a game but still its not great when your DM freezes up due to breaks in immersion... 

I am told that the look on my face was priceless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

bleh, a friend asked me to fix a mini that started chipping, because the person who painted it originally is not around anymore. Really nice paint job, unfortunately the root of the problem is they didn't clean the mini before priming. <_<

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

Not feeling so great today. Woke up dead tired, even though I technically got more sleep than I usually do. Now I'm sneezing all over the place, my head feels kinda light, and I am FREEZING, even though it's normal room temperature.

• Sad 19

Not sure my game group is going to survive coronavirus.  Couple months ago we had one person break from the strain of being asked if they were available on the coming Saturday to play a game.  Group was asked not to contact them again and we haven't heard a peep since.  So we are down to 5.  Primary GM now has a romantic interest who has panic attacks, anxiety attacks, or last minute plans the day of or the day before the game.  So, 4 players.  One member of the group is suffering shift changes at work (govt/military job, can't do anything about it) so most weeks there are only 3 of us and no game. 

This week we have 4, and it has to be on Roll20 because Shift Worker's partner doesn't want them to leave the house. Neither of the other two (all 3 really) want to be GM. 

So the question I am asking is: is it worth my time to spend the next two days prepping a scenario to run, and try and keep this group alive?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

58 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

The master server (the general repository or GR) I named Sol with the local clients being called Terra, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.  then the Satellite servers were got named Alpha Centuri, Proxmia Centuri, Ross, Procyon, and Bernard.  I then used exoplanet names and science fiction planet names for the clients. 

I love this!

58 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Apparently my successor was not an astronomy or science fiction buff and could not figure out how I had named the servers and I was constantly getting calls on how things connected and what was connected to what.

I find it hard to fathom the idea of someone in charge of computers and networks who is not a sci-fi and/or astronomy buff.  People like that exist? :blink:

59 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I have also been known to name my controllers after various peoples names like Fred, George, Charlie, etc. 

This, I don't love so much. ::):

At one point, I had everything in my home network named as relating to the levels of a Disney castle with a dungeon underneath. Network components like routers, wi-fi access points and NAS drives were parts of the castle like Ramparts, Library and Dungeon relating to where they were in the house, while the computers were the inhabitants - Tinkerbell, Beast, Belle, etc. At some point I gave up, and now my network has a complete mish mash of names, depending on the mood I was in when I first commissioned the device. 

23 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Primary GM now has a romantic interest who has panic attacks, anxiety attacks, or last minute plans the day of or the day before the game. 

This does not sound healthy. 

23 minutes ago, Inarah said:

So the question I am asking is: is it worth my time to spend the next two days prepping a scenario to run, and try and keep this group alive?  

That's always such a hard decision to make. 

On the one hand, sometimes the effort doesn't seem worth it.   On the other, I've found that it's easier to add to an existing group than it is to start a completely new one from scratch. 

Perhaps the solution is to try and find new players? 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Well actually I was planning of letting my Girl's Brother bring it to the municipal waste station.

It was nice knowing him...

Either of the step-vixens have a particularly annoying boyfriend?

• Haha 15

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Either 2% or 0% alcohol, Beer with Lemon Flavour, icecold is a good remedy against the heat.

image.png.2bb87f4970c20bd249f572695071661e.png

Now see, it's barely even 13:00 and y'all have me thinking about alcohol already. I used to make a beer specifically for Radlers/Shandies. It was a lower alcohol ale made with neutral grains and citrus-y hops. You'd fill a mug full of ice and then about half full of lemon soda, then you'd top it off with the beer and give it a quick stir. Great lawn work beer on a hot day. If you were feeling frisky a shot of hibiscus vodka in the mix would make it more like drinking a beer, at least intoxication wise. I used to work with a couple of conservationists from Africa and they explained that in their part of the world you replace the lemon soda with coca-cola and just used whatever cheap lager was available. Did not sound good, but believe it or not it's pretty refreshing.

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

Sour brew beers are apparently trendy here in the US among the craft brewers lately, and I would think that a beer/lemonade or some other acidic/citrus beer would be just the thing after a long bike ride...

There's a brewery not too terribly far from me that makes a pretty good canned Radler and they definitely play up the "good-beer-after-a-long-day-of-bicycling" thing. In fact they teamed up with the American bicycle company Huffy to make a beer delivery bike named "The Radler." It is a beautiful piece of machinery:

1867844690_HuffyRadler.thumb.jpg.415109d8a85a9b2df5acbbd4d137967a.jpg

• Like 14

Morning all. Just finished my first cup of coffee for the... Actually in days. It has been a rough last two months. Wife is finally,we hope having her knee surgery. The 17 the is D Day. She has to quit taking her pain pills on the 10th, so ,yeah it is going to get worse. We will muddle through as always. Youngest son starts college on the 17th as well. He still has anxiety over driving. The 17th he will have to do it alone.

Well I hope everyone is having a great day. 

• Like 16

57 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Either of the step-vixens have a particularly annoying boyfriend?

The one who has a boyfriend actually has a decent fellow, which makes me very happy since my biological daughter hooked up with a piece of *&^@

31 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Morning all. Just finished my first cup of coffee for the... Actually in days. It has been a rough last two months. Wife is finally,we hope having her knee surgery. The 17 the is D Day. She has to quit taking her pain pills on the 10th, so ,yeah it is going to get worse. We will muddle through as always. Youngest son starts college on the 17th as well. He still has anxiety over driving. The 17th he will have to do it alone.

Well I hope everyone is having a great day. 

Good luck on both occasions!

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

while I have not gone that far, I have confused some of my inheritors with these systems.  Our HMI (human machine interface) uses a master server and then satellite servers which provide information to local clients.  the company calls their server clusters 'galaxies' and I couldn't resist.  The master server (the general repository or GR) I named Sol with the local clients being called Terra, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.  then the Satellite servers were got named Alpha Centuri, Proxmia Centuri, Ross, Procyon, and Bernard.  I then used exoplanet names and science fiction planet names for the clients. 

I have also been known to name my controllers after various peoples names like Fred, George, Charlie, etc.  Again, the number of calls I get from those places about what I was thinking.  This has eventually led to some interesting conversations about how Charlie died recently but I was sure that I could bring him back in another day or so, or how we were planning on throwing George out and replacing him with Myrtle. 

Ours is deities. 

frex, the entertainment machine (which. .. well, the TV is hooked into it) is Diomedes. There was a plan involving console emulators at one point....

There's probably a Janus in here somewhere, possibly a Ra, and at least one Hades, and I'm pretty sure one of the traveling machines is Ulysses. 

I'm not sure I understand how somebody can't be at least basically familiar with the planets. Ancient deities, sure. But.. planets? we LIVE on one. How do you not recognise one of the names for it?!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Not feeling so great today. Woke up dead tired, even though I technically got more sleep than I usually do. Now I'm sneezing all over the place, my head feels kinda light, and I am FREEZING, even though it's normal room temperature.

Status update: Feeling a lot better. Not tired anymore, nor sneezing, but my head still feels a touch light and I'm still chilly. Not to the point where I can be under the heaviest blanket I own and still be cold, though, which is a major improvement. Now all I need is a light sweatshirt.

At least I didn't have to work today!

• Like 16