Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

42 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Ours is deities. 

frex, the entertainment machine (which. .. well, the TV is hooked into it) is Diomedes. There was a plan involving console emulators at one point....

There's probably a Janus in here somewhere, possibly a Ra, and at least one Hades, and I'm pretty sure one of the traveling machines is Ulysses. 

We didn't start doing fun names until MrBoot built his Ultimate Gaming Machine and called it Thor (since god of lightning and all); he calls the two beefy graphics cards "Thor's hammers" lol. I thought that was fun, so I renamed mine Bifrost. Then when I got a new (to me) computer, it became Sif (Thor's wife). One or the other of our portable computing devices is Heimdallr, though I think I changed it because I kept forgetting the spelling, and my netbook is so lamesauce it doesn't get a cool name lol. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 12
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MusicalFeline said:

Status update: Feeling a lot better. Not tired anymore, nor sneezing, but my head still feels a touch light and I'm still chilly. Not to the point where I can be under the heaviest blanket I own and still be cold, though, which is a major improvement. Now all I need is a light sweatshirt.

At least I didn't have to work today!

My sympathies.  I get this way when I get severely dehydrated.  I would be drinking a lot of fluids and see if that helps you. 

Hope you continue to feel better! 

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

My sympathies.  I get this way when I get severely dehydrated.  I would be drinking a lot of fluids and see if that helps you. 

Hope you continue to feel better! 

Thanks, pal. I don’t think it’s the dehydration, but I’ve been drinking a lot regardless. At least it’s nothing serious. (Don’t jinx it, self. As soon as you say that, it becomes something serious. ::P:)

• Like 8

Painting Platinum! #035 started at 3:07 PM.  Sadie is painting 77134 Hajad, Pirate.

ETA: They are giving away a set of four custom-mixed blush colors (paint samples) as featured on Sadie's office walls.  That's one set for every five subs.  They also included a pokey tool in each giveaway, and there were a total of four giveaway winners.   

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

Edited by Serenity
Updated facts
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Ours is deities. 

frex, the entertainment machine (which. .. well, the TV is hooked into it) is Diomedes. There was a plan involving console emulators at one point....

There's probably a Janus in here somewhere, possibly a Ra, and at least one Hades, and I'm pretty sure one of the traveling machines is Ulysses. 

I'm not sure I understand how somebody can't be at least basically familiar with the planets. Ancient deities, sure. But.. planets? we LIVE on one. How do you not recognise one of the names for it?!

I've done a variation of the dieties for my personal machines. I've been working my way through moons, starting with luna, phobos, deimos, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Metis, Adrastia, Amalthea, (I missed Thebe for some reason), Themisto, then I didn't really care for the rest of the jovian moons and went on to Saturnian with Atlas, Pan, Promethus, Pandora and currently with Mimas. 

My work machines have all had boring names dictated by a corporate naming scheme I can't deviate from...

• Like 11
3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

This does not sound healthy. 

No, it's not.  Concern has been expressed and advice offered. We're all adults and have to make our own mistakes. 

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

That's always such a hard decision to make. 

On the one hand, sometimes the effort doesn't seem worth it.   On the other, I've found that it's easier to add to an existing group than it is to start a completely new one from scratch. 

Yeah, we could use new blood.  We discussed it last time, but no one knows anyone to invite.  Our group formed because we were all loners (my husband and I being the only couple).  I know other gamers, but for various reason they aren't able to play.  Made more difficult because we don't play D&D, which is half the action here (WH40K being the other group)

I just sent a note around saying I had nothing prepared this week, either.  I don't, and I'm not spending two days cramming for a game no one is enthusiastic about. 

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Ours is deities. 

We do deities and mythical personages. 

• Like 7

Engineer is going to be mad at me. The service techs are going to be happy, though. 

Just finished writing up a report for a probable bug in his software - one that has been around for at least 6 years. 

Customers sometimes come to us looking for "missing money" in their credit card revenue - a daily summary report will say one thing, and the actual credit card reports will say another thing.  Service has suspected for years that something could sometimes artificially increase the numbers on the daily summary report, but we were never able to identify what, and never could duplicate it.  Engineer could always find an more reasonable sounding explanation, such as programmed day end vs credit settlement times throwing totals off, and he never really looked into it.  And TBH, I haven't really bothered to investigate it deeply myself recently. 

Had a perfect storm of conditions today, and I'm 95% sure I've nailed the cause as a result, and one he shouldn't be able to poke holes in without actually investigating it. 

It appears that if we do certain manual things to self serve bay credit card transactions, the system will add the transaction total to the daily summary report again, thus artificially increasing the numbers there. Unfortunately, I don't have the proper equipment/tools to be able to test my theory, only the engineer does, but I'm feeling pretty confident that the engineer won't be able to ignore my data this time.  I think he'll look at the evidence I've laid out, and at least try it. 

I do, however, expect that I'll have to answer several of his emails with "already eliminated that possibility, look at my data again." 

• Like 12
11 minutes ago, Inarah said:
4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

That's always such a hard decision to make. 

On the one hand, sometimes the effort doesn't seem worth it.   On the other, I've found that it's easier to add to an existing group than it is to start a completely new one from scratch. 

Yeah, we could use new blood.  We discussed it last time, but no one knows anyone to invite.  Our group formed because we were all loners (my husband and I being the only couple).  I know other gamers, but for various reason they aren't able to play.  Made more difficult because we don't play D&D, which is half the action here (WH40K being the other group)

I just sent a note around saying I had nothing prepared this week, either.  I don't, and I'm not spending two days cramming for a game no one is enthusiastic about. 

If you want to run virtual... we might have space? Is PF, though, and we run on alternate Sundays...

.. I know he's probably going to have space in his Dark Eye game, but I don't know how intersting that's like to be to you. ^^;

• Like 7
28 minutes ago, Inarah said:

No, it's not.  Concern has been expressed and advice offered. We're all adults and have to make our own mistakes.

Well that's awfully presumptuous of you... Who says there isn't a two-year-old running around on the forum? I mean, not that I would know, nor have anything to do with it. ::P:

• Haha 12
7 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

while I have not gone that far, I have confused some of my inheritors with these systems.  Our HMI (human machine interface) uses a master server and then satellite servers which provide information to local clients.  the company calls their server clusters 'galaxies' and I couldn't resist.  The master server (the general repository or GR) I named Sol with the local clients being called Terra, Mars, Saturn, and Jupiter.  then the Satellite servers were got named Alpha Centuri, Proxmia Centuri, Ross, Procyon, and Bernard.  I then used exoplanet names and science fiction planet names for the clients. 

Apparently my successor was not an astronomy or science fiction buff and could not figure out how I had named the servers and I was constantly getting calls on how things connected and what was connected to what.

I have also been known to name my controllers after various peoples names like Fred, George, Charlie, etc.  Again, the number of calls I get from those places about what I was thinking.  This has eventually led to some interesting conversations about how Charlie died recently but I was sure that I could bring him back in another day or so, or how we were planning on throwing George out and replacing him with Myrtle. 

These make sense, right up until the player says 'I swing my sword in a wide arc slicing everything in front of me.'

Me: 'your in a 5 foot corridor'

player: 'so?'

me: :blink:

I know its just a game but still its not great when your DM freezes up due to breaks in immersion... 

I am told that the look on my face was priceless.

That is the player, not the character.

Let's be honest most players actually phrase it as "I got a fifteen, does that hit?" And no mention of wide arcs.

In our group the people most likely describe what they are doing are also the ones most likely to know what they are doing.

I have no idea what they mean, sometimes, so I just say "roll the dice, and we'll see how well that works you".

• Like 9

@Glitterwolf: I was wondering if Kaya was a south-east Asian foodstuff which has made its way to Netherlands? This morning I tried mixing it with the spekulaas spread on my toast and thought it worked well, so I wondered if you might have tried that combo.

In case you don't know kaya, it's a coconut-based spread. The one I used had some pandan flavour in it too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Caution: blues and teals do not stay vivid for long, even with bleach first. They also don't fully fade out like blacks and purples.

My hair went teal to be a mermaid for D&D right before plague hit. Good thing I liked it - been updating it instead of letting it go like I'd initially planned. I think I'll keep teal/blueing it until plague is controlled. 

Also: keratin oil conditioner is amazing and even after a round of bleaching, no split ends after like 3 months since I gave myself a trim. I usually get split ends 2 weeks after a trim, no bleach. Friend was right. Conditioner with keratin oil is amazing. 

I don't expect it to last a super long time but if I really like it I'll keep doing it. I'm normally a red head but felt I needed something different since the last round has pretty much faded out. 

Today was long. D&D tonight. Went to Popeyes for lunch (drive through to bring home) and discovered they don't have Po' Boys any more. I am very saddened by this.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1