Jump to content

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

It seems, judging by what I've read in the forum today, that a wave of woe has overtaken the world recently.

The question now is this: What Do We Blame?

1 The release of 9th edition for Warhammer 40k

2 The Moon being in Cancer

Wisconsin 

 

To be honest, I was just looking for an excuse to post this ^_^

 

https://newsthump.com/2020/05/24/new-edition-of-warhammer-40000-launched-ten-minutes-after-fans-finish-paying-off-their-credit-cards-from-the-last-one/

  • Like 2
  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Adept Legacy said:

Welp. Twitter is in the trash can again.

I get it, I got it, good.

 

Someone famous screwed up, I get it.

You want them fired, I got it.

Good?

 

Alright. Can we do something, anything else today?

 

Anyone else feel like they are on a hot air balloon, powered by trashfires?


Yeah... Twitter has been a growing trash fire for years. Facebook as well. I avoids ‘em and that improves my opinion of humanity greatly.

 

1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

It seems, judging by what I've read in the forum today, that a wave of woe has overtaken the world recently.

The question now is this: What Do We Blame?

1 The release of 9th edition for Warhammer 40k

2 The Moon being in Cancer

Wisconsin 

 

Woes? Woes. Oh, right. Those things. Can’t relate right now. Been lounging next to an alpine stream today. I’m doing well and woes are not part of the vocabulary right now. Maybe Tuesday.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Here's an article my techie friends will appreciate:

 

https://www.boredpanda.com/hardware-disasters-tech-support-pics/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Newsletter

 

And by appreciate, I mean run screaming in horror from and probably have nightmares about. :lol: :devil:

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Wow, some of those are... Terrifyingly bad.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

It seems, judging by what I've read in the forum today, that a wave of woe has overtaken the world recently.

The question now is this: What Do We Blame?

1 The release of 9th edition for Warhammer 40k

2 The Moon being in Cancer

Wisconsin 

Wisconsin is the Land of Cheese, how could it possibly be wrong?

  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Here's an article my techie friends will appreciate:

 

https://www.boredpanda.com/hardware-disasters-tech-support-pics/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Newsletter

 

And by appreciate, I mean run screaming in horror from and probably have nightmares about. :lol: :devil:

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

*twitch*

  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Wisconsin is the Land of Cheese, how could it possibly be wrong?

The landmass that makes up Wisconsin is the surviving remnant of what was once Mordor. Hence it is ruled by the Dread Might of the Cheese Lords (Merciless and Eternal), who are in fact the few remaining Ringwraiths. For a while the wraiths were using people as skinvolopes to try and cross the wardstones set around the state's border, but in recent years have given up on this after the wards were strengthened. Last ramdomness thread went into a bit more detail on the cheese hoarding/grape based Uruk-Hai, and such that they have encouraged California to develop to act as a proxy weapon.

There are also rumors of an elite unit of landsknechts wearing Packer colors that are being trained as shock troops for an invasion of Illinois. Which in honesty is long overdue, but the corruption inherent in Northern Illinois has ironically provided a great deal of protection against this thus far. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:


Yeah... Twitter has been a growing trash fire for years. Facebook as well. I avoids ‘em and that improves my opinion of humanity greatly.

 

 

Woes? Woes. Oh, right. Those things. Can’t relate right now. Been lounging next to an alpine stream today. I’m doing well and woes are not part of the vocabulary right now. Maybe Tuesday.

I use Facebook - because nobody uses Instant Messenger anymore. ::(:

 

I am kind of sad - just wrapped the second after school group's game for the year, and the first group wraps Monday.

 

I went a little over on time - so the team could get the accolades that they earned. The Queen handing out medals, and the Mayor is handing out promotions.

 

Monday wraps the Circus for the first group - they finished the Plane of Conflict four weeks earlier than the second group did - they had a mission, they had a plan, and they stuck to it, by golly!

 

So, they got an evil circus with clown assassins, from an early issue of Dungeon magazine.

 

One change from the scenario as written - they talked to the ettin, who is... just an ettin. Being a circus freak is a living. The party tried to unlock the chains binding him, he said 'just a second', pulled out the key, and unlocked them himself - they are a prop, nothing more.

 

Climactic battle with the killer clowns and the ringmaster - who will be expecting a cry of 'Hey! Rube!' - which will never come.

 

The squad managed to spread word, via the ettin and others, about what is going on - most of the circus isn't in on it. (By 'the squad' I mean the bard/reporter and the wizard - she has the Charisma and Diplomacy, he has the Charm Person.)

 

Going to be fun.

 

Part of me wants to run something for them over the summer, but... I think it is better to wrap for the summer.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Here's an article my techie friends will appreciate:

 

https://www.boredpanda.com/hardware-disasters-tech-support-pics/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Newsletter

 

And by appreciate, I mean run screaming in horror from and probably have nightmares about. :lol: :devil:

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

TL;DR: "The warranty is void."

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I moved to a new province last November.  One of my cars is my baby and only gets driven in the summer.  And hadn't been driven in 2 years as I was getting the transmission replaced (2nd gear synchro issue, common to the first gen box, getting a 2nd gen box used was cheaper than getting the 4 parts needed for the old one).  It got back together in time for the move, was put on a trailer, driven here, and stuffed in the garage.

So I'm in the process of trying to get it on the road.  Step one was getting it registered and licensed in this province.  Straightforward enough, even with the pandemic.  Book appointment with DMV, go stand in line for an hour anyway, give them lots of money, receive a flat rectangle of tin.

The next step should have been easy.  Remove old plate from back of car, install new license plate.  So last weekend I started this process:

  1. Grab a screwdriver to remove bolts holding on license plate
  2. Note that bolts are actually plastic, 17 years old and faded from the original black to a translucent white.
  3. Oh so carefully attempt to gently remove bolts for first time in 17 years.
  4. Have the head of one bolt explode anyway.
  5. Thankfully extract other bolt successfully.
  6. Call it a day since is Sunday and can't get parts.
  7. Call the Mazda dealership to see if they have bolts.  Also order new gasket for left rear taillight.
  8. Drive to Mazda to spend $4 to get two new metal bolts.
  9. Call it a day because it's game night.
  10. Spend half an hour with a dremel carefully trying to clear out the old plastic bolt from where the shaft is still stuck on the receiving plate for the bolt.
  11. Attempt to put new plate on.
  12. Have the new bolt catch, presumably on some plastic I missed, causing the receiving plate to break loose inside the bumper cover.
  13. Do research.  
  14. Curse.
  15. A lot.
  16. Put it off until tonight.
  17. Remove interior trunk panel.
  18. Remove both tail lights (2 bolts, 4 wiring clips per tail light).
  19. Removed both exhaust surrounds (2 plastic clip thingies per side, wrecked at least 2 of the 4, go 17 year old plastic.....)
  20. Remove both rear fender liners and anything holding bumper on (2 plastic clips, 3 bolts per side, destroyed at least one of the plastic clip things per side)
  21. Remove the 3 plastic clips under the car (destroyed all 3).
  22. Remove the two bolts and plastic clips that were under the tail lights (this clips were in great shape as they are normally hidden.
  23. Remove the entire rear bumper cover.
  24. Spend 30 seconds with a pair of pliers and a screw driver to remove the bolt from the plate, clear the problem bit of plastic and test that it goes through the plate fine now.
  25. Call it a day, since I need to go to Mazda tomorrow and buy a bunch of 2 different kinds of plastic clips.  Assuming they have them in stock, since they may not use these type anymore.

So yeah, that wasn't at all frustrating....

 

I'll make sure to get some extra clips, and should probably pick up new high beam bulbs tomorrow too (both are out) as they need to be working for the safety inspection.

Then I can go back to figuring out how I'm going to actually get the car to a garage to get it safety inspected since my insurance company won't even insure it to drive to the garage to get it done without having a valid safety inspection......

 

I was about this ->  <- close to stuffing it back in the garage this afternoon and leaving the whole thing for next year......

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

So I moved to a new province last November.  One of my cars is my baby and only gets driven in the summer.  And hadn't been driven in 2 years as I was getting the transmission replaced (2nd gear synchro issue, common to the first gen box, getting a 2nd gen box used was cheaper than getting the 4 parts needed for the old one).  It got back together in time for the move, was put on a trailer, driven here, and stuffed in the garage.

So I'm in the process of trying to get it on the road.  Step one was getting it registered and licensed in this province.  Straightforward enough, even with the pandemic.  Book appointment with DMV, go stand in line for an hour anyway, give them lots of money, receive a flat rectangle of tin.

The next step should have been easy.  Remove old plate from back of car, install new license plate.  So last weekend I started this process:

  1. Grab a screwdriver to remove bolts holding on license plate
  2. Note that bolts are actually plastic, 17 years old and faded from the original black to a translucent white.
  3. Oh so carefully attempt to gently remove bolts for first time in 17 years.
  4. Have the head of one bolt explode anyway.
  5. Thankfully extract other bolt successfully.
  6. Call it a day since is Sunday and can't get parts.
  7. Call the Mazda dealership to see if they have bolts.  Also order new gasket for left rear taillight.
  8. Drive to Mazda to spend $4 to get two new metal bolts.
  9. Call it a day because it's game night.
  10. Spend half an hour with a dremel carefully trying to clear out the old plastic bolt from where the shaft is still stuck on the receiving plate for the bolt.
  11. Attempt to put new plate on.
  12. Have the new bolt catch, presumably on some plastic I missed, causing the receiving plate to break loose inside the bumper cover.
  13. Do research.  
  14. Curse.
  15. A lot.
  16. Put it off until tonight.
  17. Remove interior trunk panel.
  18. Remove both tail lights (2 bolts, 4 wiring clips per tail light).
  19. Removed both exhaust surrounds (2 plastic clip thingies per side, wrecked at least 2 of the 4, go 17 year old plastic.....)
  20. Remove both rear fender liners and anything holding bumper on (2 plastic clips, 3 bolts per side, destroyed at least one of the plastic clip things per side)
  21. Remove the 3 plastic clips under the car (destroyed all 3).
  22. Remove the two bolts and plastic clips that were under the tail lights (this clips were in great shape as they are normally hidden.
  23. Remove the entire rear bumper cover.
  24. Spend 30 seconds with a pair of pliers and a screw driver to remove the bolt from the plate, clear the problem bit of plastic and test that it goes through the plate fine now.
  25. Call it a day, since I need to go to Mazda tomorrow and buy a bunch of 2 different kinds of plastic clips.  Assuming they have them in stock, since they may not use these type anymore.

So yeah, that wasn't at all frustrating....

 

I'll make sure to get some extra clips, and should probably pick up new high beam bulbs tomorrow too (both are out) as they need to be working for the safety inspection.

Then I can go back to figuring out how I'm going to actually get the car to a garage to get it safety inspected since my insurance company won't even insure it to drive to the garage to get it done without having a valid safety inspection......

 

I was about this ->  <- close to stuffing it back in the garage this afternoon and leaving the whole thing for next year......

 

I would suggest the hire of a tow vehicle, a flat bed for preference, to get it there and back again.  That way you aren't exposing yourself to any unavoidable liability issues.  While it's in transport the Tow Company bears the liability burden.  And if they break it, they get to fix it.

GEM

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

 

Part of me wants to run something for them over the summer, but... I think it is better to wrap for the summer.

 

Leave 'em wanting more.

 

28 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

 

 

Then I can go back to figuring out how I'm going to actually get the car to a garage to get it safety inspected since my insurance company won't even insure it to drive to the garage to get it done without having a valid safety inspection......

 

 

The shop I take my cars to will come get it and do the inspection.   Also, for a small fee you can drive it  with no inspection sticker, but you have to stop and talk to the police along the way. :)    Next time I will do a temporary plate swap from one of the other cars. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...