Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

6 minutes ago, MusicalFeline said:

EUREKA!!!!

Do I get an award for my great scientific accomplishments?

Of course!

Here:

Spoiler

a36f8c863a961043aaff5f73f91873a1.jpg.fa82ce4713724668aea3d201e9288349.jpg

• Haha 12

Saw Saturn and its rings plus Jupiter and four moons last night. Clouds fought me quite hard but I managed to do it anyway. 

Now happily eating banana Runts candy. Had two handfuls of Tart n Tinys before that. Sugar crash in 30.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, MusicalFeline said:

Yay, I'm not blamed! 

In all seriousness, I believe @redambrosia is correct on all accounts. I use the forum on both mobile and PC, and when I checked that post later on, indeed, it was in that unintelligible attempt at a fancy font rather than Comic Sans MS.

To prove this, let's conduct a simple experiment. I, using my PC, will write a simple line in Comic Sans MS. Other users on PC, tell me what you see. Other users on mobile, tell me what you see. Heck, and if we have any tablet users, why not throw them in there too?

This is the test line. I'm sorry, I know I could have/should have done something clever, but I'm just not feeling it.

Samsung Galaxy A10 (the cheapest smartphone Verizon had at the time) shows it as a cursive font, no problem reading it.

"This is the test line.  I'm sorry. I know I could have/should have do e something clever, but I'm just not feeling it."  That is what I see.

• Like 6

Yay, I'm not blamed! 

In all seriousness, I believe @redambrosia is correct on all accounts. I use the forum on both mobile and PC, and when I checked that post later on, indeed, it was in that unintelligible attempt at a fancy font rather than Comic Sans MS.

To prove this, let's conduct a simple experiment. I, using my PC, will write a simple line in Comic Sans MS. Other users on PC, tell me what you see. Other users on mobile, tell me what you see. Heck, and if we have any tablet users, why not throw them in there too?

This is the test line. I'm sorry, I know I could have/should have done something clever, but I'm just not feeling it.

It’s in fancy cursive for me. iPhone 8.

4 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Saw Saturn and its rings plus Jupiter and four moons last night. Clouds fought me quite hard but I managed to do it anyway. 

Now happily eating banana Runts candy. Had two handfuls of Tart n Tinys before that. Sugar crash in 30.

When Sephy gets older, I must get a telescope so she can look at planets. That’s one thing that my dad and I shared that I want to share with her.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

It’s in fancy cursive for me. iPhone 8.

When Sephy gets older, I must get a telescope so she can look at planets. That’s one thing that my dad and I shared that I want to share with her.

I've off and on had a powerful urge to build a 12" Dobsonian.  one of these days maybe I'll get around to it...

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF's Log.

TOP SECRET.

OPERATION GAZEBO.

Date August 12th 2020

Operative : Glitterwolf himself.

20200812_153251.thumb.jpg.a0b89f204c07bf2465dbc8a5b8db1f34.jpg

There it is, still oblivious of it's fate, basking in the Sun as if there's nothing to worry about.

Look at it!

I swear I can feel the evil oozing from it.

A few birds that flew in were never seen again.

Tomorrow!

The exact time of the attack will be kept classified till the last minute, but it will happen tomorrow.

First I need to rescue the garden table and chairs, they're about to get devoured if they stay there for too long.

I will need to distract the vile contraption somehow in order to get those out.

Then I will cut it's power!

God knows what unholy things it can do with the electricity it has acquired.

Hopefully it will wonder what is going on when it loses power so I can attack!.

When I succeed, the real battle will begin.

Tearing it down!

From top to bottom,  I suspect the battle can last for days!

I will report how it goes, should I fall, remember me.

Glitterwolf.

Oh come on.

You know what to do, being the keeper of the GlitterBombs.

Luck.

GEM

• Haha 10

EUREKA!!!!

Fellow forum members, I daresay we have diagnosed the source of the problem definitively and once and for all. The font known as Comic Sans MS, when viewed on a mobile device, appears as a horrible-looking, unintelligible cursive font. Now that we know how this error occurs, we can take measures to avoid it for the sake of our mobile-using comrades.

Or we can keep using it so that they can't understand what we PC users are saying... :devil:

Do I get an award for my great scientific accomplishments?

Comic Sans, the death clown font of all devices and resumes.  I don't think there is any device or HR person who likes this font.

3 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

I've off and on had a powerful urge to build a 12" Dobsonian.  one of these days maybe I'll get around to it...

I have a 10 and when I remember to use it, I love it but I need to get a different spotting scope, I cant twist my head to use the bullseye sight anymore.

• Like 6

Ok, so.... USPS truck is on our street with DH's Reaper package, and UPS has driven by twice with mine..... waiting to see which arrives first. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, TripleH said:

On my Samsung S9, it reads as printed cursive.

Same here, Samsung S6. 

Today's :huh: customer service experience:

If someone gets a negative covid test result, we send a generic text message that basically says 'Your test came back negative, call [phone number] if you have questions.'

I had a gentleman call, saying he got a text. I asked him whether it said his test result was negative (to verify he was actually calling about test results), and he said he hadn't read it. I was like...but how did you get this number then, since it's at the end of the message...? :huh:

I didn't say the last part, but I really wanted to. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Haha 9
  • Confused 4

DH has his package. UPS has gone by a 3rd time...

Edit: UPS showed up ~3 minutes after USPS. 

Swag! New toys! Time to party!

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 10
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I ordered 6 books for my mother from 1/2 price books and one from Amazon. Each of the 1/2 price is coming from a different store I got three yesterday and the other four are in route.... Hopefully they get here before she does on Sunday.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF's Log.

TOP SECRET.

OPERATION GAZEBO.

Date August 12th 2020

Operative : Glitterwolf himself.

20200812_153251.thumb.jpg.a0b89f204c07bf2465dbc8a5b8db1f34.jpg

There it is, still oblivious of it's fate, basking in the Sun as if there's nothing to worry about.

Look at it!

I swear I can feel the evil oozing from it.

A few birds that flew in were never seen again.

Tomorrow!

The exact time of the attack will be kept classified till the last minute, but it will happen tomorrow.

First I need to rescue the garden table and chairs, they're about to get devoured if they stay there for too long.

I will need to distract the vile contraption somehow in order to get those out.

Then I will cut it's power!

God knows what unholy things it can do with the electricity it has acquired.

Hopefully it will wonder what is going on when it loses power so I can attack!.

When I succeed, the real battle will begin.

Tearing it down!

From top to bottom,  I suspect the battle can last for days!

I will report how it goes, should I fall, remember me.

Glitterwolf.

...And So It Begins....

"Even with the assorted weirdness of 2020, we weren't expecting that among the murder hornets, zombie cicadas, unicorn conspiracies, plague, and civil unrest, that in the end it would be Glitterwolf's battle with the gazebo-mimic that would have the most dire consequences in the upcoming months. From the surviving screenshots of his posts, it seemed that Glitterwolf had the element of surprise and had the upper hand right up until 3/4s of the way thru. We don't know if it was the gazebo-mimic unleashing some unholy power, or if an electrical charge somehow got into the glitterbomb storage area...but we do know that by the morning of August 14th, a good part of Europe was experiencing panic and bowel clenching terror as the coastline of the Netherlands abruptly changed, the sea rushing in to where it really hadn't been wanted and  large islands arising in the middle of the English Channel. 

Looking back, I think that had it just been those two things, people would've dealt with it better, but it was the layer of sparking glitter falling from the sky like multicolored snow over the destruction that broke more than a few minds. The surrealness of that, and the defilement of every decent rug for hundreds of miles as people tracked the foul stuff back into their homes, followed by the collective suicide of the Roombas, who had been far more self aware than even the most paranoid of us expected...

Over the next few months, the Forum organized several expeditions into the area, both to learn the fate of Glitterwolf, and also to raid whatever of his minis may have survived the blast. The first excursion was unable to get within a hundred miles of the site, due to the presence of military authorities, and angry mermaids swimming through the new sea, (the refrain of "I told you so" for the rest of the trip from a certain forumite was also not the easiest of things to bear either), although they did manage to claim one of the largest of the new islands in the Channel. Naming it "ReaperLand", they proceeded to colonize and fortify it. 

The second attempt managed to sneak it's way all the way to ground zero, where a bellowing voice was heard from the ether, demanding Stroopwafels. Hundreds of minis, some painted, some not, all covered with a layer of glitter, patrolled the area, one Forumite reporting that they had managed to get the 3d printer up and running again, providing a rate of military build up frightening in it's implications. Coming on top of the news that Glitterwolf had become some manner of Chaos Demi-God, the expedition retreated, leaving a stock of Stroopwafels and Bacon behind, which was to pay dividends in the upcoming months as the Forumites of ReaperLand faced a bit of push back from various nations who did not appreciate their declaration of the new islands as being "their lawn" and telling the world in no uncertain terms to "stay off of it"....(a certain forumite's habit of raiding England for tea and then trying to depth charge the mermaids with it did not help diplomatic efforts either)...."

from Chapter 2 of "2021: Not Our Fault, a collective history of the Reaper Forum" published by Oltorf Press, ReaperLand 2035.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

3 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

...And So It Begins....

"Even with the assorted weirdness of 2020, we weren't expecting that among the murder hornets, zombie cicadas, unicorn conspiracies, plague, and civil unrest, that in the end it would be Glitterwolf's battle with the gazebo-mimic that would have the most dire consequences in the upcoming months. From the surviving screenshots of his posts, it seemed that Glitterwolf had the element of surprise and had the upper hand right up until 3/4s of the way thru. We don't know if it was the gazebo-mimic unleashing some unholy power, or if an electrical charge somehow got into the glitterbomb storage area...but we do know that by the morning of August 14th, a good part of Europe was experiencing panic and bowel clenching terror as the coastline of the Netherlands abruptly changed, the sea rushing in to where it really hadn't been wanted and  large islands arising in the middle of the English Channel. 

Looking back, I think that had it just been those two things, people would've dealt with it better, but it was the layer of sparking glitter falling from the sky like multicolored snow over the destruction that broke more than a few minds. The surrealness of that, and the defilement of every decent rug for hundreds of miles as people tracked the foul stuff back into their homes, followed by the collective suicide of the Roombas, who had been far more self aware than even the most paranoid of us expected...

Over the next few months, the Forum organized several expeditions into the area, both to learn the fate of Glitterwolf, and also to raid whatever of his minis may have survived the blast. The first excursion was unable to get within a hundred miles of the site, due to the presence of military authorities, and angry mermaids swimming through the new sea, (the refrain of "I told you so" for the rest of the trip from a certain forumite was also not the easiest of things to bear either), although they did manage to claim one of the largest of the new islands in the Channel. Naming it "ReaperLand", they proceeded to colonize and fortify it. 

The second attempt managed to sneak it's way all the way to ground zero, where a bellowing voice was heard from the ether, demanding Stroopwafels. Hundreds of minis, some painted, some not, all covered with a layer of glitter, patrolled the area, one Forumite reporting that they had managed to get the 3d printer up and running again, providing a rate of military build up frightening in it's implications. Coming on top of the news that Glitterwolf had become some manner of Chaos Demi-God, the expedition retreated, leaving a stock of Stroopwafels and Bacon behind, which was to pay dividends in the upcoming months as the Forumites of ReaperLand faced a bit of push back from various nations who did not appreciate their declaration of the new islands as being "their lawn" and telling the world in no uncertain terms to "stay off of it"....(a certain forumite's habit of raiding England for tea and then trying to depth charge the mermaids with it did not help diplomatic efforts either)...."

from Chapter 2 of "2021: Not Our Fault, a collective history of the Reaper Forum" published by Oltorf Press, ReaperLand 2035.

*Flashback to the past, Pezler whistling as he finishes anti-glitter enchantments on the gazebo, suddenly stops and looks around* Why do I hear narrative?

• Haha 15

9 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

...And So It Begins....

I figured it would be nuked from orbit.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Colonel Kane said:

I figured it would be nuked from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

• Like 12