Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I have a love-hate relationship with flow chart troubleshooting. 

I understand how it can simplify troubleshooting and make sure simple things don't get overlooked.   But far too many companies and people get too attached to them, and when things "go off the flowchart", they're stumped, and they don't know what to do.  This is even more irritating when dealing with companies that have a front line of "techs" who basically just read scripts/flow charts that they have to follow to escalate. More than once I've been "stuck" in a loop with a front line CS rep, where I either have to lie to get past them to a real tech, or go down a path I know is completely wrong. 

The most infuriating one I had was Microsoft for my son's XBox a few years back.  They insisted that the problem was the power supply, when I could prove it wasn't.  But because their flow chart insisted I wait until the replacement power supply arrived before they would go to the next step, we were stuck.  Turned out it was a bad HDMI cable - something their flow chart should have looked at first. 

That reminds me of another sound troubleshooting principal.

Always eliminate the cheap fixes first.

GEM

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Because his brother was using the pirate outfit :poke:

DSCN1123.thumb.JPG.cd61c40276fd5b5b70c07e7bba3d8c22.jpeg.aceb86c09228d66dcc599bede0a8f24c.jpeg

Captain Black Fur.

Of the Cardboard Box Fleet.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

That sounds like a very good way to run up their bill. Sending the tech down the wrong troubleshooting pathway only makes the meter run longer.

Good Luck.

The lament of every troubleshooter ever has to be "Why are there so many stupid people in the world?".

GEM

Actual conversation I had a couple of days ago:

Coworker: The juice machine in the dining room isn't working.

Me: Did you turn it on?

Coworker: Yes! And I checked the plug. It still isn't working.

Me: *Walks into the dining room and flips the switch that I just asked if they fliped* *glares at coworkers*

BTW, said switch only turns on the light behind the display. The machine still works if it is off, if you bother to check. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The lament of every troubleshooter ever has to be "Why are there so many stupid people in the world?"

True. OTOH, they keep us employed. 

8 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

That sounds like a very good way to run up their bill. Sending the tech down the wrong troubleshooting pathway only makes the meter run longer.

Except when you get the complaints of "Why should I have to pay this bill? It was just unplugged?"

It seems like there is a triad of dumb, needy and cheap. 

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

That reminds me of another sound troubleshooting principal.

Always eliminate the cheap and easy fixes first.

FTFY. 

I live by this rule. And yet, I have customers fight me on it.  For example, we have a $1500 module that connects to the site network. I know from experience that a bad cable can cause an issue that looks like the module, even though it's not. So before I sell people one, I always make them replace the ethernet cables and change/check ports on their switches/routers first. Most people will have done that before they call me anyway or are at least willing to try it, but I've run into a few that haven't, don't want to and are then like "well, can you go ahead and send me the part right now anyway?" 

Of course, they don't want to pay for it up front, and I know they'll take months to return it if it isn't needed, and then complain about the restocking fee. 

The XBox one is sort of my own fault.  I was out of town on an install when it failed, so my son (14 at the time) had to do all the initial trouble shooting with Microsoft, including packing it up and sending it to them. He didn't follow the instructions, and sent the power supply.  If you've never sent an XBox in for repair, they don't want you to send accessories unless you ask for them, and then if you do, they separate all the accessories into separate RMAs and they go to separate departments.  We got the XBox back first, but no power supply. We were told that it would be 3-4 weeks before we got the power supply back.  So I bought an aftermarket one, but had the same problem. MS latched onto that, and wouldn't do anything until we got the "correct" power supply back. It didn't matter that we borrowed two of his friend's XBox power supplies, and it did it on all of them - they decided they weren't going to do anything until we received back "our" power supply. 

I wound up starting from the beginning without Microsoft's help, and found that we had a bad HDMI cable. 

On the plus side, my son learned some valuable lessons.    The last time he had an issue (a couple of months ago), he not only got to the bottom of it without my help, he got MS to give him $20 worth of Xbox gift cards for his trouble. 

• Like 14

Just now, Inarah said:

That turned into an interesting color class. 

Occasionally, she goes off topic.  I don't mind, and this time it was likely more interesting than the planned painting.  She is good at explaining her interpretation of color theory, better than many who try it.  Corporea has a class on that this year I may have to watch.    

• Like 8

5 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I have been recommended for hire!

Adjunct instructor at Temple University!

I go through the hiring process tomorrow but from what the guy who heads the chem labs says it's just a formality.

Now tonight when I go to work I need to get that paperwork for voluntary furlough done reeeeeeal quick :blink:

Congratulations, Missy! Now you can start corrupting educating all the students!

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Now you can start corrupting educating all the students!

Some people feel that teaching people to think is corrupting them. 
And I have the feeling that our @NebulousMissy is the type to teach people to think. ::D:

Once again my son came into my office ranting about how our internet is crap, and it just needs to be fixed. 

It does have issues, but they're really not that bad for rural America. It's the best I've ever had in my life. 

I wish I could subject him to a full week of the 90's internet experience - dial up modems, GeoCities, AOL, etc.  He'd be a lot more appreciative of what we have. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

@NebulousMissy CongaRats!!

Anne's color theory class today was great. I'm glad she went off script and did it. Now to put it into practice. Also I learned that Paint Rack app has a lot more features than just keeping track of your paints!!

Okay, time for dinner then studying, then gotta clean up the ReaperCon swag that's still sitting in the box in the middle of the living room.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Some people feel that teaching people to think is corrupting them. 
And I have the feeling that our @NebulousMissy is the type to teach people to think. ::D:

Once again my son came into my office ranting about how our internet is crap, and it just needs to be fixed. 

It does have issues, but they're really not that bad for rural America. It's the best I've ever had in my life. 

I wish I could subject him to a full week of the 90's internet experience - dial up modems, GeoCities, AOL, etc.  He'd be a lot more appreciative of what we have. 

AOL  is still operating as a dial-up ISP with over a million paying customers at last check.  You can make him experience the pains of 90's internet (with the exception of the "walled garden" system where you could only access what your ISP allows you to see).

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

AOL  is still operating as a dial-up ISP with over a million paying customers at last check.  You can make him experience the pains of 90's internet (with the exception of the "walled garden" system where you could only access what your ISP allows you to see).

That's insane. Unless they're all stuck in those areas that still lack access to high speed internet.

Also, did the forum just... glitch for anyone else?

• Like 8

Ok. It is only 5:00pm, but I am beat. Got home just a little bit ago. Think I will take a nap. Had to jam out in the way home, my eyelids kept wanting to shut. I also drank the cold coffee from this morning. I think that is all that is keeping me going at this point. Ready to fall into the Oblivion of slumber.

• Like 11

19 hours ago, redambrosia said:

It bad enough when my hands go numb while I’m sleeping, but do they have to go numb when I’m painting?!?!? :down:

Utterly aggravating.

I hear ya on that... Mine do the same thing. I also have arthritis as well.

4 hours ago, haldir said:

I need that shirt, and one for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as well.

47 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Lol - just make him have to get off the internet every time somebody in the house needs to make a phone call... ::D:

• Like 10

Just now, Crowley said:

Also, did the forum just... glitch for anyone else?

I noticed that.  Got a 522 error, I think it was.  Both the forum and the website. 

• Like 6