Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

If nobody knows that one, I may have to google that also. 

*** stops watching approaching thunderstorm; ponders search terms ***

Too many variables - wind direction affects the distance the thunder can travel, and rain also helps to dampen the sound.

Then there is heat lightning, which is the reflection of lightning off of an atmospheric inversion layer, which can be quite some distance away.

The Auld Grump - need to get to bed, brain is getting pedantic.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

"We're gonna need a bigger kitchen!"

GEM

@Glitterwolf Is that you???

^_^

Had a good adventure in the City of Brass in one my recent (well less then a year old) FLGS game nights. Players were brought to the plane via "summon lesser beings" spell & then were embroiled in a inner court scandal amongst a noble efreeti house. Good times.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Naturally... About five minutes after I accept I won't get an early paycheque (my bank usually does such at like 15:45ish my time, the day before I'm supposed to be paid).... Email comes in that moneys in. (it's just 4.5 hours later than I'm used to such happening) 

Whooooo, I can order stuff (and pay bills) tonight while I'm awake, instead of at 05:45ish while my coffee is still too hot to drink! 

Now the question is whether or not to tidy up the list of things before posting it to the Acquisitions thread, or to just slap it in there... Yaaaaay for "one last hurrah before winter rears it's head" orders! ..There's going to be a suspiciously large amount of Tamiya and AK Interactive stuff in said order... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8

578,000 minis in the wall. 578,000 minis. Take one down, something something lose all motivation.

*faceplant*

578,000 minis on the wall.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, TGP said:

How far away is a bolt of lightning (minimum distance in miles) if the flash is seen but no noise from it reaches the observer ?

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Consider that the speed of sound is roughly 0.2 miles/second or 1100 ft/s (or 0.333 km/s).

Math does the rest.

If there's no apparent sound, either it's really far (over 10 miles), or not powerful enough for a significant bang.

Classic physics problem. But you don't have enough info to solve it, because you never heard the thunder or have time between seeing the flash and hearing thunder. Thus, as the Cranky Canine says, nothing to worry about unless you hear the bang.

But if you are curious for the future, watch for the flash, count the time until the bang and then use this equation to figure out the distance:

distance = time x 346 meters/s

*346 m/s is the speed of sound at room temperature. 333 m/s is closer to freezing air temperature. The higher the air temperature, the faster the speed of sound.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

How far away is a bolt of lightning (minimum distance in miles) if the flash is seen but no noise from it reaches the observer ?

According to http://lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/thunder2.html about 16km under ideal conditions, but it could be less in non-ideal conditions.

14 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Classic physics problem. But you don't have enough info to solve it, because you never heard the thunder or have time between seeing the flash and hearing thunder. Thus, as the Cranky Canine says, nothing to worry about unless you hear the bang.

But if you are curious for the future, watch for the flash, count the time until the bang and then use this equation to figure out the distance:

distance = time x 346 meters/s

*346 m/s is the speed of sound at room temperature. 333 m/s is closer to freezing air temperature. The higher the air temperature, the faster the speed of sound.

As a quick estimation technique - 3s per km or 5s per mile (depending on which units you're more comfortable with). So if it's 15s between, it'll be about 5km or 3 miles.

Edited by sumbloke
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Adept Legacy said:

578,000 minis in the wall. 578,000 minis. Take one down, something something lose all motivation.

*faceplant*

578,000 minis on the wall.

That's so truthful it hurts.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

RQfNt0gLaE.thumb.jpeg.0b002a5f185bf84b81cf03af701e7811.jpeg

GEM

'Oh, I'm not going to eat this. It's all about the presentation.'

The Auld Grump - when I was young we had a cat that would chase mice, catch them... then wash them before letting them go. :wow:

• Haha 14

We decided to take a last minute trip to the mountains. The wife is tired of being in the house all the time and I'm burned out with the hours I've been working the last couple months. Last night we staid with friends of ours that moved to Calgary a couple years ago. Drank a bit too much, staid up a bit too late but had a great visit. After a late start we took a quick tour of Lake Louise and Morraine Lake. I've been to Lake Louise enough times it doesn't excite me much. Lake Morraine was interesting and it's the first time we've been there. Then we spent an hour or so trying to figure out where we were going to spend the night. I like having my stops planned and booked with room to change things a bit. The wife wanted to wing it this time. So we ended up in an expensive room because it was the only thing available and eating a supper of various microwaved food.

Tomorrow of to Jasper with a bunch of stops along the way for various waterfalls, the Athabaska icefields and not sure what else.

• Like 16

Boom, and my poor poor wallet never saw it coming.. Got a bunch of tools, pigments, weathering effects, and basing supplies headed my way now.  Yup, for a "simple" order I sure got a lot o_O 

Mr Wallet never saw it coming... Nor did it stand even a single hope against such a skillfully laid blow.. 

On the flipside, by sheer fluke I managed to FINALLY find those annoying hard to find via Google little metal paint mix cups I've been trying to figure out the search term for for the past week.  Apparently it was "paint tray" that wound up being the magic words.  Thank you random Australian hobby site for having such attached as a "recommended extra" on a pigment set I was contemplating. Of all the things... Also thank you Mr. Hobby for having sets of them for cheap cheap cheap so I could throw a pack in one of the boxes! 

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - when I was young we had a cat that would chase mice, catch them... then wash them before letting them go. :wow:

A clean toy is a happy toy. :rolleyes:

GEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That cat was ahead of it's time.................damn 2020...

T-Storm a brewin outside!! No much rain, but hopefully we get some out of this. Lots of lighting flashes & loud booming. I was outside & staring at the sky when a bolt appeared. Slightly blind right now, damn.

Update: & there's the rain!!! I can smell & hear it through the open window.

• Like 11

Later yesterday evening youngest vixen's boyfriend came by and gave me some birthday presents, macademia nuts, dried sausauge ( Spanish Fuet) and licorice liqueur.

Then my girl's sister and her family dropped by to look at the new Gazebo and I got a big piece of dark chocolate topped with nuts and coconuts and dried fruits.

Today we will go search for a lounge set to put in the gazebo, taking grandpa with us, he likes the store we're going to and needs some things as well.

• Like 14