Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Spent the last day of my vacation laying more cobblestones.

Not finished yet, so upcoming weekend I know what I'll be doing.

Resuming work tomorrow, back to Base.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

*slight story, but I do have a point related, just bear with me.

I once had a US history professor tell me that the electoral college was created because the founding fathers were afraid of what the uneducated masses would do (no idea if that is true or not, but it seems fairly plausible given that formal schooling still wasn't universal back in the 18th century). I'm a fairly progressive thinker, feeling it's an antiquated system (like fax machines, but that's another story altogether), and most voters have education now... and, dare I say it, at least some form of intelligence in at least one area of their life.

But then I read stories like this, or some of @OneBoot's, or some of the many others you all share... and at those instances, while I am face-palming, it makes me think that maybe we aren't quite there yet.

Those stories make me question whether TFF were daft to go for the "One Idjit; One Vote" concept. I am just fine with the Electoral College.

The latest thing I read that has me convinced that Actor James Brolin (among others) should not be allowed to vote is buried in this spoiler:

Spoiler

Really, Seriously, don't look. Remember that you can't unsee ! You were warned:

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

16 hours ago, Inarah said:

Are we supposed to get updates? I haven't heard a peep since I signed up. I've got 6 classes.

That's what I was told. So since I haven't been getting email updates I've been checking back periodically for updates to things.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, TGP said:

The latest thing I read that has me convinced that Actor James Brolin (among others) should not be allowed to vote is buried in this spoiler:

(a) I've seen far worse and (b) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

Oh, I needed that. Thank you much.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:
17 hours ago, Inarah said:

Are we supposed to get updates? I haven't heard a peep since I signed up. I've got 6 classes.

That's what I was told. So since I haven't been getting email updates I've been checking back periodically for updates to things.

So, I posted about this in the ReaperCon forum this morning. We discovered on the Discord that even though Reaper has their Zoom settings set up to email attendees about changes to the class, Zoom does not seem to be doing so. Most of the classes have been updated with google drive or dropbox links to pdfs, but who would know since those emails aren't going out? 

So, basically, you have to go like you're going to register again. When you get to the Zoom landing page to enter your email like you did when you first registered, the updated class description with text links (not hyperlinks) to the class handouts should be there if there is one.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

@Inarah I love your ReaperCon pictures; I can pretend I'm there right now! :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

At least I can almost pretend that someone else is actually enjoying the con directly!  Keep the pictures coming!

on the voting front:  I forget who said it first, I remember it from Cristopher Stasheff's Warlock books... ' a functional democracy is dependent on 2 things:  education of the population, and speed of communication.  If either of these pillars fail then the democracy then those with the best communication or education access will control the system. '

• Like 7

Heh, nice! Just got a email from ebay giving me a $25 coupon code due to I've been there from the start (25th anv for them). Funny, I remember received everyone of these. Thou I don't recall watching the Book of Eldritch Might. Thou that was before I went all digital with rpg books.

Here's the stats the included (good thing there isn't a how much you've spent on ebay.......^_^):

Your eBay journey

Fun firsts, big wins, and memories made together.

Icon of calendar

You registered as haldirhellion7 on 11-7-1998!

Icon of shopping bag

First purchase

You scored Obi-Wan Padawan AI Star Wars CCG Tantooine AI on 11-4-2001.

Icon of money

First sale

You cashed out with SLIXX decal #6 Phzer Mark Martin 2001 on 9-24-2002.

Icon of phone with eBay app

First app purchase

App-tastic! You got Tamiya 1/12 Honda NSR 250 Cup Noodle 14061 on 10-5-2013.

Icon of a question in speech bubble

First offer

Way to negotiate on TAMIYA 1/24 UNISIA JECS SKYLINE NISMO GT-R KIT on 9-11-2010.

Icon of glasses

First watched

You kept your eye on Book of Eldritch Might - Songs and Souls of Power on 12-19-2007.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Keianna said:

I see why it sold quick. It looks like an abstract sunflower. 

Thanks. 

I think my feelings are because I'm not really a big fan of abstract art.  Even when it is mine.  Especially when it is mine. 

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

But then I read stories like this, or some of @OneBoot's, or some of the many others you all share... and at those instances, while I am face-palming, it makes me think that maybe we aren't quite there yet.

What I really want to say is Beekeepers territory. So I'll just keep it to this:

After 35+ years of fixing stuff that breaks, and 20+ of that doing tech support, I still can't decide if we're getting smarter or dumber. In some ways, it feels like the general public is getting dumber than they were 30-40 years ago, but I also know that I didn't have the same exposure to stupidity that I do now. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I'm feeling an '80s music vibe today. Listened to some Cheap Trick, Ratt, The Bangles (Manic Monday, of course), Belinda Carlisle, and now on to some Scandal.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I'm feeling an '80s music vibe today. Listened to some Cheap Trick, Ratt, The Bangles (Manic Monday, of course), Belinda Carlisle, and now on to some Scandal.

Sounds like my normal routine. ha ha

Currently listening to American Top 40 with Casey Kasem. (I'm not sure when the original broadcast was)

• Like 9

School is done.

But I missed half of choir because I had to get my computer all set up.

I'm kinda depressed about that now. Choir's really the only class I like.

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that one of my ditzier CW owners had their very capable manager/tech either go on vacation or quit. I've had no less than four calls from them today, and all of them are things that their manager/tech would have been able to handle. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Different customer:

Customer (six months ago):  I want to spend as little money as possible. 
Salesman: I can do that - let me strip out all the extras!

Customer (today): How does my customer print a receipt? 
Me: Why didn't you buy a receipt printer? 

I'm not sure if the idjit here is the customer or the salesman. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Today is definitely a Monday. 

Yet a different customer:

Customer 3 months ago: We need training now, we're going to be open by the end of the week!
Salesman: OK!
Me: Rearranges schedule to accommodate Salesman's request. 

Customer today:  We need to know how to do X!
Me: gives explanation that refers to their original training.

Customer: We're still confused. 

Me: OK, remember this part from your training?

Customer: No. Friday was the first time we powered up the system since our training. We don't remember any of it.

They haven't yet asked for complete training again, but I expect there to be a fight when they do and I tell them that the repeat training is billable, as they used up all of their included training hours 3 months ago. 

On the plus side,  everything coming in from my distributor techs today has been simple and mostly related to people buying upgrades and new equipment.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6