Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

A long time ago I had a friend who loved Man O' War.  He loved it so much that he flew to Nottingham, got an appointment with one of their directors and kept throwing money at them until they gave in and cast a new set of fleets for him with all the remaining functional molds.  To this day he wont tell anyone what it cost

That's fair. Sometimes the answer is to toss a coin to your witcher  throw cash at your mini caster until you get what you want. 

4 day week.... 4 day weekend.... 3 day week... 3 day weekend (with CPA exam)... could be worse.

Dinner and study time!

• Like 8
6 hours ago, OneBoot said:

@Inarah I love your ReaperCon pictures; I can pretend I'm there right now! :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Ok, well, let's have a look through the swag bag....

IMG_20190901_110407976.jpg.86de4c782833b4ef46e4b887d78b2b96.jpg

Hop on the bus and go to the factory where Dave will give us a tour:

IMG_20190831_162953303.jpg.952c2feab3f7fc010135bbd2a0259511.jpg

Buy $1 paint out of a tub!

IMG_20190831_163540795.jpg.8d9bac43c555d94c89ea88d61f0d7739.jpg

Oh, hey,  free cocktails and snacks at the hotel bar!

IMG_20190830_175635512.jpg.c4f7d7d907f2078b28080da5688fddb4.jpg

And you can hang out with Sophie!

20180902_094943.thumb.jpg.14d60c311ecdd2d038475c2ef5225c59.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Spent 6 hours yesterday looking at butterflies and flowers at a park for a lab report, which was great but the heat and humidity were awful. Did see a few cool bugs, lizards and birds like a waterhen that came pretty close to me, that was cute. I adore butterflies though so it was nice to see them. 

• Like 10
4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Thanks. 

I think my feelings are because I'm not really a big fan of abstract art.  Even when it is mine.  Especially when it is mine. 

What I really want to say is Beekeepers territory. So I'll just keep it to this:

After 35+ years of fixing stuff that breaks, and 20+ of that doing tech support, I still can't decide if we're getting smarter or dumber. In some ways, it feels like the general public is getting dumber than they were 30-40 years ago, but I also know that I didn't have the same exposure to stupidity that I do now. 

This is confirmed by the trend line of I.Q. measurement.

USA has lost 2 -  I.Q. points from the average over the last circa 30 years, when measured against the entire world.

GEM

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that one of my ditzier CW owners had their very capable manager/tech either go on vacation or quit. I've had no less than four calls from them today, and all of them are things that their manager/tech would have been able to handle. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Different customer:

Customer (six months ago):  I want to spend as little money as possible. 
Salesman: I can do that - let me strip out all the extras!

Customer (today): How does my customer print a receipt? 
Me: Why didn't you buy a receipt printer? 

I'm not sure if the idjit here is the customer or the salesman. 

Bookends?

Sounds like there is enough collective idjitiocy to spread evenly across both.

GEM

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

USA has lost 2 -  I.Q. points from the average over the last circa 30 years, when measured against the entire world.

Ye gods, I hope they're not taking the IQs of everyone in the country and averaging them to get the country's IQ...  :blink:

I mean, even my god-like intellect can only counteract so many thousands of microcephalic idjits... :rolleyes:

• Haha 11
47 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Ye gods, I hope they're not taking the IQs of everyone in the country and averaging them to get the country's IQ...  :blink:

I mean, even my god-like intellect can only counteract so many thousands of microcephalic idjits... :rolleyes:

Yep.

The really frightening part is there are entire countries with an average of less than 70. :upside:

GEM

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Yep.

The really frightening part is there are entire countries with an average of less than 70. :upside:

GEM

Extreme poverty isn't conducive to test taking.

*looks at pudge* 

*looks at CPA exam in less than 2 weeks*

*eats more*

• Like 9
  • Confused 1
3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:
22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Pfft... if you're just sitting in front of the computer, who bothers with pants these days?

Well, she did say she's going to be doing it at her in-laws' place...

Then I guess it depends on how much she likes her in-laws? I mean, if they call you family, and treat you like family...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Got the last of the write ups from the after school campaigns.

Most were between a half page to a page and a half - one was three pages.

The bard/reporter's was four pages - she wants a story feat she called The Big Story, uncovering something that will change the City.

Fortunately, the adventure they are in right now will qualify. ::): The captain of the Precinct has been accused of a crime he... may or may not have committed. Casey certainly had the means, motive, and opportunity to petrify the corrupt sergeant, and shatter him.

But the big surprise was the write up that came in today from my 'problem player'.

Five pages. And a lot more self aware than I had expected.

Starting before the adventure that began the last day of school.

His character... got called on the carpet by Big Blue, because of a complaint from the Deputy Medical Examiner.

Big Blue gave him a choice - sensitivity training or having a complaint written into his permanent record, and mandatory sensitivity training.

Yeah, he had his own character getting a dressing down for being a sexist insensitive jerk. By a beholder. :lol:

He wants a trait making Diplomacy and Sense Motive class skills, and to spend a point in each to actually have the skills.

In case anyone was wondering, I said yes. He is trying to have his character experience character growth.

Classes were supposed to start this week, instead they are beginning the day after my birthday.

The Auld Grump

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

I got to go to work today! First time I've been on company property since April! Needed to help put an assembly together. Good thing I was there, as my first question to them uncovered several steps they weren't going to do that would have doomed everything.

So I earned my keep again.

Get to go in a bit tomorrow as well, then off to a car service appointment. Found out the kids' car has had brake service lights on for months. Uh, those come on for a reason, kiddos!

Also got to video call the oldest tonight. He's doing better at college this week than last. Still fully online, and his three roommates still hole up in their rooms (apartment style dorm), but he sounded happier.

• Like 13
3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Agreed.

There's a pretty much direct correlation between aggregate IQ and the GDP for each nation.

Which really tells me that IQ tests measure education as much, if not more than they do cognitive abilities. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Welp. One of my students has a confirmed case of Plague. And by Plague I mean Covid.

The university has now banned all social gatherings. Good elfing luck?

Yeah, good luck.  One of the local universities just put 4 sororities in quarantine because of an outbreak.  Another one has shut down all sports and social events for the same reason.  

• Sad 9