Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

Thing with the European Wasp is that it's aggressive.

I don't hate them but I would like them not to attack us the moment we're outside with food.

https://www.bensbees.com.au/2018/01/23/dangers-european-wasps/

Sounds unpleasant, most bugs here leave us alone. Not the mosquitoes though!! Got a few bites from yesterday.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

Sounds unpleasant, most bugs here leave us alone. Not the mosquitoes though!! Got a few bites from yesterday.

Yeah, those can be nasty as well.

Usually DEET will repell those.

As for me, they leave me alon, they prefer my girl's blood..

I like the more friendly insects, we have loads of bumblebees, solitary bees, grasshoppers and butterflies visiting the garden.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, BadgersinMeadows said:
27 minutes ago, Crowley said:

COFFEE!!

I like bottled coffee, there's a bunch in the fridge but I think it's going sour.....

I brew mine fresh every day!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Welp. One of my students has a confirmed case of Plague. And by Plague I mean Covid.

The university has now banned all social gatherings. Good elfing luck?

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

Yeah, good luck.  One of the local universities just put 4 sororities in quarantine because of an outbreak.  Another one has shut down all sports and social events for the same reason.  

This appears to be the case right now for a lot of universities, though thankfully not all. Our local Big 10 University had move in day about 2 and a half weeks ago. They're testing everyone living on campus every week and if you live off campus they are randomly requiring testing in order to continue coming on campus. First week students were back the positive testing rate was around 1.1%. Within 8 days that had jumped to 3.6%. As of last Friday that was at 5.8% and still climbing. They set aside three dorm halls as "quarantine" halls and the first two are already full with the third one filling rapidly. The university has already suspended something like 300 kids over hosting parties and on a drive past campus this weekend I saw every bar packed to full capacity. I think at this point the university is just trying to hold off shutting down in person classes and on campus living until they hit the date where they no longer have to issue refunds for housing.

On a different topic, this is my first day back to work in a while as I was running around the state trying to take care of some elderly relatives last week. My email box is depressingly full. Oh well, in the words of a certain Hamster... Coffee.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, sumbloke said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Yep.  Its apparently a new 'feature' for android using the chrome browser.  Its also not the done button unless they have taken away the return button and replaced it completely.  Only for android and only for my chrome browser.  the generic one and outlook the enter button works normally.  which means most likely someone messed up the operation of the keyboard at the last revision updated for chrome and we will have to wait for chrome to fix it...

46 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yeah, those can be nasty as well.

Usually DEET will repell those.

As for me, they leave me alon, they prefer my girl's blood..

I like the more friendly insects, we have loads of bumblebees, solitary bees, grasshoppers and butterflies visiting the garden.

Grasshoppers are like people, they are only nice individually.  Once they become a mob they get frantic and mean and destroy everything in their path.  Beware the grasshopper/locust and its secret heart of evil and destruction!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Also got to video call the oldest tonight. He's doing better at college this week than last. Still fully online, and his three roommates still hole up in their rooms (apartment style dorm), but he sounded happier.

I have found that the secret to curing loneliness or unhappiness at the beginning of college is the search for the best campus pizza (that delivers, especially now to keep him safe)... this might also be the cause of the infamous "freshman 15" weight gain.

9 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Welp, I'll broadcast my online labs from inside the labs until I get kicked off of campus. Like some guerilla mad scientist or something ::P:

And now you have access to high quality and quantities of isopropyl alcohol (possibly even 95% ethanol), you can make all the hand sanitizer you want!

"It puts the sanitizer on its skin, or else might risk Covid again..."

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Try to refrain from the mad cackling until AFTER you're past the door. ::P:

Can confirm that this is frowned upon. Do it and we'll FIND a reason to stop you. :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I worry deeply for the students on university campuses this year. I went to Texas A&M University and I was in the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. The whole Corps has issued masks for their uniforms now, but I think about the Band... Marching so close together... and you can't wear a mask and play an instrument. I worry. I don't know anyone in the Band this year and I still worry. 

Per SEC rules, no halftime performances will be taking place this year. And no away game travel for bands, cheer, pep, etc. But the Band is over 300 people and (also according to SEC guidelines) have to fit in a certain section of space within the stadium to be fair. So, close. 

And all the high school bands. 

I just can't get over how anyone can do marching band right now and be safe. Maybe I worry overmuch, but I can't help it. I worry for all the musicians this year in schools. 

Well, and everyone else too.

• Like 11

Morning all. Wife is going to work this afternoon, unfortunately today is the sheep auction... Means I have to help my youngest son to do his concession stand...... I hate concession stands..... Which me very little messing around time on my day off. 

Anyways I got my stuff ordered that I wanted from Reaper Con. I liked the boxes, but I did not like everything in every box. Just a little here and a little there. I started writing my begining post for a new PbP, so looks like I am doing that here soon. I will probably wait till after the Con to start it up. Anyways I hope everyone has a great day. Make sure to get your coffee we are going to need it.....

• Like 10

I am so glad my son graduated HS this year. Even with the way his Sr year ended. I think I'd rather him go through that then end up as fodder for whatever the school sets up for the students this year. Luckily, students in OR are being kept home (some town are exceptions but they have to be real "exceptions" like tiny farm towns out in the middle of nowhere to even be considered for that) till the end of September. If cases go down, govnuh will allow them back, if not stay at home/online till whenever they do.

Our town still keeps it's #1 or #2 per capita for positive cases in the state....sigh. I was hoping by this time next week our "drop to Phase 1" would be lifted we could resume Phase 2 things again. Which of course for me is we can game at the FLGS again. After seeing that report last week, I highly doubt it. Gotta love living on the red side of the state..........:rolleyes:.

While not entirely like how I envisioned having D&D at my place, my store gave me the go ahead to use their website/BookFace page for recruiting players. Which is cool, but I was hoping to keep it so the store got the funds that it generates from having people reserve seats for games. Our weather turned a bit colder this week, so I'm not sure how much longer I could even do Backyard D&D this year. Right now it currently looking at D&D in my garage.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

I like bottled coffee, there's a bunch in the fridge but I think it's going sour.....

Coffee has its best flavor when fresh and hot. It starts to go bad within a couple hours of being brewed. A few days or weeks later and yes, you have rancid coffee.  

I thought it was just Americans drinking horrible stale cold brewed coffee.  We're not known for appreciating the subtleties of fine, fresh coffees. 

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

We have loads of bugs, too. And birds to eat them.  I wish the wasps would get more of the grasshoppers, though. 

Yesterday I opened the door to the deck and a hummingbird was checking out all of my potted flowers.  I know they're around, but rarely see them. 

• Like 7

I want to post this just for the "I told you so" rights if it does happen:

Given how crazy this year has been, I have my money on "alien invasion" by the end of the year. I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords. I just hope the probing isn't too bad. ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7