Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, Dicey said:

I think about the Band... Marching so close together... and you can't wear a mask and play an instrument. I worry. I don't know anyone in the Band this year and I still worry. 

And all of the deep inhalations and exhalations that will be taken in those close quarters... the percussion section would be the "safest", if they are allowed to still wear masks while playing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

I want to post this just for the "I told you so" rights if it does happen:

Given how crazy this year has been, I have my money on "alien invasion" by the end of the year. I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords. I just hope the probing isn't too bad. ::P:

What do think the covid is for? You think it was made by some dork in a lab there on Earth? ....... Glad I am in orbit on my battleship... Well when they do show up..... Well it has been nice knowing you all....

• Haha 10

Engineer - (sends me a drawing I did in 2011). I really need you to update this drawing ASAP for a customer.  We can't be using a drawing this old.

Me (sends him updated drawing). We aren't, we're using this one dated from April 2020. 

I'm not even going to mention the 2014 and 2017 versions to him. 

• Haha 15

13 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

if they are allowed to still wear masks while playing.

Well, since it's a safety thing, I'm not sure what they would do. But, from my experience, all members of the Aggie Band must match, at least during performances. I remember games where it was very, very cold and since woodwinds (clarinets) could not play with the uniform's thick black leather gloves, no one could wear gloves for the performance. Brass players had to put cold hands on cold keys for no other reason than so everyone could match. But, there's also not going to be any halftime performances this football season, so... Who knows. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Dicey said:

Per SEC rules, no halftime performances will be taking place this year.

9 minutes ago, Dicey said:

But, from my experience, all members of the Aggie Band must match, at least during performances.

If they aren't doing a half-time show, are they technically doing a performance then? If they are like my alma mater, Ohio State, then they probably play the fight song and national anthem before the start of the game, but do the Aggies march on the field for that? That would be a performance.

It's debatable (or a matter of semantics) if playing in the stands qualifies as a performance, but in the interest of safety, the percussion should at least be allowed to wear masks during that, since they don't require lung-derived wind to play their instruments.

I'll be hoping for them all.

• Like 9

Anne is streaming on her own channel today, not Reaper's.  Anne began at 11:46 AM.  She was having tech issues and Reaper is working on issues with the A/C.

Streaming Miniature Painting - Reaper Bones V Ship's Figurehead, Weathering

https://www.twitch.tv/paintingbig

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also, I feel like sharing this video of the Aggie Band during marching practice. I hope it doesn't break any rules or anything. Those wearing the maroon shirts (instead of the white ones with the Aggie Band eagle on them) are incoming freshman. Video from a couple weeks ago.

The counter march (where the band turns back in on itself, going in the opposite direction) I think is probably the worst thing for the current times, people passing shoulder to shoulder into the faces of those playing instruments. Nightmare. Plenty of high schools who march military style will be doing similar kinds of things too. The only thing worse would probably be the 4-way cross, which normally takes an entire season to perfect, in which two people cross taking up the same "grid" space within the march with someone's toe against the other person's heel as they pass rubbing shoulder to shoulder with bodies turned to slide past each other. 

Man, it takes me back. My days in the Band were probably some of the toughest days of my life, but I look back on it now with extreme fondness and pride.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ManvsMini - Playing in the stands is not the same kind of performance from a uniformity standpoint. People were allowed to wear jackets or not, use music stand or not, etc while in the stands. But, once on the field, everyone is in the same uniform and there are no music stands. So, because there are no halftime performances, it's probably not going to be an issue.

The SEC rules limit those who can be on the field or sidelines to very specific people. There will be no awards ceremonies, no performances, no recognition of alumni on the field, etc. And yes, Aggies normally "march in" to the stands pre-game, then get to their section of seating. Then, they would play from the stands for the entire Corps of Cadets as it passes for Review (on the sidelines) prior to every home football game at Kyle Field. The National Anthem and such are normally played from the stands since the Band is already there. The Corps would typically exit Kyle Field in formation and then re-enter via the normal gates to attend the game. This is all done at least an hour prior to kick-off.

Edited by Dicey
Formatting
  • Like 9

I propose that all marching bands become driving bands, with every instrument player on the rear of an open air golf cart. 

This allows adequate distancing from other band members (save their driver), while upping the thrill factor of their routines and performances. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I propose that all marching bands become driving bands, with every instrument player on the rear of an open air golf cart. 

This allows adequate distancing from other band members (save their driver), while upping the thrill factor of their routines and performances. 

Bonus points for putting obstacles on the field that the drives have to avoid.....even more bonus points if said obstacles are left on the field for the footballers to avoid as well.....MEGA BONUS POINTS if some of those obstacles are land mines....

Disclaimer..... No land mines were hurt in the filming of the accompanying video.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Bonus points for putting obstacles on the field that the drives have to avoid.....even more bonus points if said obstacles are left on the field for the footballers to avoid as well.....MEGA BONUS POINTS if some of those obstacles are land mines....

Disclaimer..... No land mines were hurt in the filming of the accompanying video.

You didn't go far enough. 

Marching band competitions can now become Driving Band Demolition Derbies.     

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Dicey said:

The only thing worse would probably be the 4-way cross, which normally takes an entire season to perfect, in which two people cross taking up the same "grid" space within the march with someone's toe against the other person's heel as they pass rubbing shoulder to shoulder with bodies turned to slide past each other. 

Wow. That is impressive. 

I don't think I've ever seen that. Of course, most of my marching band exposure is merely attending Drums Along the Rockies shows. 

• Like 9

This post was about to be about today's misadventures in painting.....but....

Our schools went back two weeks ago and our area has coincidentally had a rise in cases. We're a cautious little country and lockdown has been tightened again. Most of the cases seem to be from house to house transfer, so we're back to a ban on visiting or receiving guests from other households for at least the next two weeks. 

It's annoying, but if we do this now we can hopefully avoid another big lockdown. Ironically, we had just stopped delivering food to our neighbours because their extended family was visiting them all the time since restrictions relaxed. I just called them to see what they needed and we're going to be restarting the delivery service tomorrow. 

Stay safe everyone

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Hubby got a new job! It’s still graveyard (which is a plus for us) but all the heavy labor at Walmart would be done and over with. We’re both so excited!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2