Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

10 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

This post was about to be about today's misadventures in painting.....but....

Our schools went back two weeks ago and our area has coincidentally had a rise in cases. We're a cautious little country and lockdown has been tightened again. Most of the cases seem to be from house to house transfer, so we're back to a ban on visiting or receiving guests from other households for at least the next two weeks. 

It's annoying, but if we do this now we can hopefully avoid another big lockdown. Ironically, we had just stopped delivering food to our neighbours because their extended family was visiting them all the time since restrictions relaxed. I just called them to see what they needed and we're going to be restarting the delivery service tomorrow. 

Stay safe everyone

Stay safe!

Hope you can avoid getting the plague.

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Hubby got a new job! It’s still graveyard (which is a plus for us) but all the heavy labor at Walmart would be done and over with. We’re both so excited!

Congrats!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@kristof65 - Honestly, one of the hardest things about the 4-way cross (besides not getting your mouthpiece knocked into your teeth by an errant shoulder) was staying on beat. The band is spread so far apart, it's hard to stay together sound wise. That's why the head drum major stands in the exact middle and the two side drum majors stand on each end zone. All 4 quadrants can see. Can't play by what you hear, only what you see. 

Also, fun fact (since I'm being nostalgic today): the Aggie Band very rarely if ever practices on Kyle Field. Kyle Field is a real turf grass field. Even after one halftime show, the grass shows the wear of hundreds of footfalls in the same place for 8-12 minutes. You can see it even in that short video of the 4-way cross. 

The drill field they use now is fake turf. The one they had when I was there was real grass, but the divots could sometimes be several inches below the rest of the field. The field had to be graded and sodded a couple of times while I was there. And a drainage system installed because it turned into a muddy mire when it rained.

Edited by Dicey
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, Dicey said:

Also, fun fact (since I'm being nostalgic today):

I'd try to build up the OSU marching band, but the alumni spirit in me isn't strong. Plus, every member I ever knew while in school acted like an elitist male-anatomical-appendage; it's an all brass instrument and percussion band, no woodwinds allowed. I played saxophone... so screw 'em.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Stay safe!

Hope you can avoid getting the plague.

Thank you! We're taking every precaution that we can, Awesome Housemate joked that we're probably 50% hand sanitizer at this point!

We still have to go out to work and our social lives still weren't back to normal so it isn't too bad for us. We can still go out and visit our local nature reserves, so we'll be ok. It just means that we'll be watching more films and (gasp!)maybe more mini painting -_-

Seriously though, small spikes in infection are inevitable once you start to relax lockdown measures. It's how you deal with them is what matters.

Dinner time, we're having butternut squash, riccota and spinach lasagna with string beans fried with garlic butter.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@ManvsMini - There are many that think that the Ohio State band rivals A&M's for the "best college band". I think Ohio State is possibly more popular because the style is "more accessible". But, the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band is special. Not perfect, but certainly special. I did not know that Ohio State was a brass/percussion-only band. Learn something new every day. I played clarinet (no way I was heard over all that brass), but I was glad to have the opportunity. The amount of women in the Band was still fairly small when I was there. In my class year and my outfit there were 3 of us girls. And 24 boys. I say that to mean that even a decade earlier and I probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to join at all.

Edited by Dicey
  • Like 9

43 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I'd try to build up the OSU marching band, but the alumni spirit in me isn't strong.

So what you're saying is that if I give out a big O-H I'm not going to get the return call? Don't worry too much about not building up the marching band, any group going by "TBDBITL" is certainly building themselves up enough without your support.

Yeah, OSU alum too. Not really feeling the spirit right now either, they're the university I was complaining about having soaring Covid rates earlier. That part of town is one giant crapfest right now. Most other times too, but especially right now. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

We can still go out and visit our local nature reserves, so we'll be ok. It just means that we'll be watching more films and (gasp!)maybe more mini painting 

How will you ever survive such cruel punishment? Clearly Scotland is in violation of the Geneva Convention.

41 minutes ago, Dicey said:

There are many that think that the Ohio State band rivals A&M's for the "best college band".

Well, someone decided to dub OSU "The Best Damn Band in the Land" for I-have-no-idea-how-long (TBDBITL for short), so it definitely goes to their heads. Ego-fueled. The school's team chant is literally spelling out the state's name, which for a four-letter name show's our genius... though it may actually be genius to keep it easy for the drunk crowds to chant... food for thought...

That said, they have done some pretty good shows. And the traditional script Ohio spelling is fun to watch when you first see it (lost it's charm for me after a dozen times though).

41 minutes ago, Dicey said:

The amount of women in the Band was still fairly small when I was there. In my class year and my outfit there were 3 of us girls. And 24 boys.

I can't quote numbers, but in fairness, it did always seem that the band had a very good proportion of women in the band (who I won't completely lump into the elitist category, as I only interacted regularly with two).

3 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Yeah, OSU alum too. Not really feeling the spirit right now either, they're the university I was complaining about having soaring Covid rates earlier. That part of town is one giant crapfest right now. Most other times too, but especially right now. 

Yeah, I saw the news reports about the suspensions. Just thankful my time working there ended years ago.

Edited by ManvsMini
post merge and forgot purple text
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Had a rather strange evening.

It started during dinner when I just suddenly lost my appetite, didn't think much of it at the time (I'd made a pretty lousy lentil curry I won't be making again). Next thing I know, I'm really tired, I'm flip-flopping between being too hot or too cold, my sense of taste and smell went really dull and I was getting double-vision. So I went to bed expecting to feel terrible for the next few days, but after a couple hours sleep I'm mostly right as rain and eating a bag of onion rings.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 9

Oh my.

I just caught myself watching a video on how to cook spaghetti in an instant pot.

I'm, I'm, I'm turning into a MOM!

Grump's been a mom since before we met! ::P:  This is new for me!

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I'd try to build up the OSU marching band, but the alumni spirit in me isn't strong. Plus, every member I ever knew while in school acted like an elitist male-anatomical-appendage; it's an all brass instrument and percussion band, no woodwinds allowed. I played saxophone... so screw 'em.

Like I've told my wife, some people, yah well they deserve to get COVID19. Cruel thinking but some people just don't get it & need to swift kick in the head.....

Wow! I spent the afternoon out on my outside table/workbench working on a model kit. Very nice day today. Gotta love September around here some times. Anyways, the kit I'm working on is molded in a light primer grey  color (ohhh think Dupicolor sandable primer, but maybe a smidgen darker) & I needed to spray some parts a bright red. I have a can of Pink Tamiya primer which is made for this. I bought it long ago for red car bodies as Ferrari paints their cars this way.

Sprayed the pink primer over that grey plastic & instantly I knew this was going to be great. It comes out a nice solid color. Waited about 10 to 15 mins, then sprayed Tamiya TS49 Bright Red on top. OMG! It's like the part was never a dark color. I can't wait to try this for a car body that is red! Your even suppose to prime it even on a white plastic car. Something about the pink helps the red cover better. 

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

So what you're saying is that if I give out a big O-H I'm not going to get the return call? Don't worry too much about not building up the marching band, any group going by "TBDBITL" is certainly building themselves up enough without your support.

but, but richy OSU football dad, flew all the way from Georgia (I think) to Chicago last week to complain that his precious little boy couldn't play football when other conference (ie SEC) is!! TRAVESTY!!!

Ducks fan but I am in total agreement about delaying their season right now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

Had a rather strange evening.

It started during dinner when I just suddenly lost my appetite, didn't think much of it at the time (I'd made a pretty lousy lentil curry I won't be making again). Next thing I know, I'm really tired, I'm flip-flopping between being too hot or too cold, my sense of taste and smell went really dull and I was getting double-vision. So I went to bed expecting to feel terrible for the next few days, but after a couple hours sleep I'm mostly right as rain and eating a bag of onion rings.

You might want to consider covid testing if it's available in your area, just in case. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Took my son’s car in for service. Oil change, alignment, and find out why the brake warning lamps were lit. Well, just got the call on the possible why. 

Bunnies. 

Some rodent, probably of a larger size, has reached up into the warm engine well and chewed through a wire or too. 

Might need W.O.O.F. and MEOW’s help in fighting back this menace to keep it from reoccurring!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I want to post this just for the "I told you so" rights if it does happen:

Given how crazy this year has been, I have my money on "alien invasion" by the end of the year. I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords. I just hope the probing isn't too bad. ::P:

I welcome them to GIT OFFA MAH LAWN!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Dicey said:

I worry deeply for the students on university campuses this year. I went to Texas A&M University and I was in the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. The whole Corps has issued masks for their uniforms now, but I think about the Band... Marching so close together... and you can't wear a mask and play an instrument. I worry. I don't know anyone in the Band this year and I still worry. 

Per SEC rules, no halftime performances will be taking place this year. And no away game travel for bands, cheer, pep, etc. But the Band is over 300 people and (also according to SEC guidelines) have to fit in a certain section of space within the stadium to be fair. So, close. 

And all the high school bands. 

I just can't get over how anyone can do marching band right now and be safe. Maybe I worry overmuch, but I can't help it. I worry for all the musicians this year in schools. 

Well, and everyone else too.

Simple. Just break the old rules:

Close order marching — gone, replaced by 2 meter intervals. 

Seating area in the stadium — doubled or tripled. 

“Spread out, you’ll do less damage that way...” is the new modus operendi. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, haldir said:
3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Like I've told my wife, some people, yah well they deserve to get COVID19. Cruel thinking but some people just don't get it & need to swift kick in the head.....

*I'm not entirely sure why my quote regarding marching bands is applicable to your statement (I am assuming it somehow relates to elitist male appendages). What I am going to write is going off assumptions, so I'll beg your pardon in advance if I have misinterpreted you; no offense is meant, and my words are written without malice.*

I don't believe anyone deserves to get this illness (with a few notable exceptions, but that is Beekeeper territory, and I want no part of that). Most of the people in those marching bands are receiving school credit for participating, or are on musical scholarships that may require them to partake. Yes, they could opt out of the course or scholarship, take out a loan instead, but sometimes life is not always that simple. So I genuinely hope that none of the students or staff contract Covid (though I think it is unrealistic that such fortune will happen).

As for the high school or college kids holding parties during this time, don't wear masks and avoid using common sense, I don't believe they deserve it either. That said, that doesn't mean I excuse their actions and behavior; you reap what you sow, so my sympathy is very low to those who knowingly endanger others so recklessly. I do hope they recover, and learn from their mistakes.

As my friend Forrest Gump would say, that's all I have to say about that.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 8