Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Simple. Just break the old rules:

Rarely simple when you're up against tradition and/or bureaucracy. 

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

It was good! I now know what my default BD Needs Food Meal is going to be! ::D: Tradition, updated. Spaghetti and meat sauce was Mum's default Megan Needs Food Meal. ::P:

My daughter would eat spaghetti 5 times a week if she could.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, haldir said:

Tamiya's acrylic line is alcohol based. Why your getting such a strong smell. Don't bother thinning with water, as it'll just be a big mess.

I wonder how the Enamel thinner from them is gonna smell like. I need to pick up my bottle tomorrow from the hobby shop. Plus, need to put a small order for Tamiya spray cans. I feel like I'm just getting started with models, with the amount of stuff, I've had to order to re-start!!

Tamiya makes two thinners... X-20, which has a blue cap, and is designed for enamel and oil paints, aaaand X-20A, which has a clear cap...  I bought X-20A without realizing there were two types.  No wonder it smells like processed alcohol!

Good thing I have a 35mL bottle of odourless thinner from AK Interactive, and can order 100mL bottles without issue.  Sure, I can get Tamiya X-20 (non-A) from that same supplier, but the largest they have is 40mL bottles from Tamiya, so eh. ^_^;;;

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Tamiya makes two thinners... X-20, which has a blue cap, and is designed for enamel and oil paints, aaaand X-20A, which has a clear cap...  I bought X-20A without realizing there were two types.  No wonder it smells like processed alcohol!

Good thing I have a 35mL bottle of odourless thinner from AK Interactive, and can order 100mL bottles without issue.  Sure, I can get Tamiya X-20 (non-A) from that same supplier, but the largest they have is 40mL bottles from Tamiya, so eh. ^_^;;;

250mL also for X20A. Probably just not available from your supplier. Remember thou, panel line wash from Tamiya is enamel based product!!!

I tend to use Windor & Newton brush cleaner for cleaning Tamiya out of brushes. It just works better. ::D:

• Like 4
Just now, haldir said:

250mL also for X20A. Probably just not available from your supplier.

I tend to use Windor & Newton brush cleaner for cleaning Tamiya out of brushes. It just works better. ::D:

They carry them, they're just out of stock for the large X20.  Worst case there's like five shops in town I could probably get it at, but since I'm not really doing any kind of enamel or oil painting (yet), I suspect I'll be fine.  X20A will be useful enough in a month or so when I order those Tamiya clears, plus maybe a few more, because one can't have enough paint apparently....

• Like 5
2 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

The tendrils of Starbucks reach far and wide! Singapore's local kopi is pretty good, but I prefer the tea. 

Teh tarik? Teh O? Teh kosong?

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

My toaster is a TR1256B !

Tango Romeo One Two Fiver Six Baker. Cool. 

I thought it was supposed to be "Tango Romeo One Two Five Six Bravo". Niner is to distinguish nine from the audibly similar Five.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Just did the instant pot spaghetti, with one change.

Sauteed the beef and an onion in our cast iron pan, getting my stubby little arms up and into the pot is harder than just using the stove. I would need to stand on something.

Everything went into the pot, meat first, then pasta, then a mix of one jar spaghetti sauce and two cups of water.

Fifteen minutes to reach pressure, eight minutes to cook, tossed with some cheese, and done.

It was good! I now know what my default BD Needs Food Meal is going to be! ::D: Tradition, updated. Spaghetti and meat sauce was Mum's default Megan Needs Food Meal. ::P:

You and Grump.

To me, tea tastes like old leaves stewed in boiling water. ::P:

could you share the link to the video you watched? My instant pot spaghetti has always been a fail.

• Like 7
35 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

They carry them, they're just out of stock for the large X20.  Worst case there's like five shops in town I could probably get it at, but since I'm not really doing any kind of enamel or oil painting (yet), I suspect I'll be fine.  X20A will be useful enough in a month or so when I order those Tamiya clears, plus maybe a few more, because one can't have enough paint apparently....

Scoots bottles of paint under the rug.... "Whachu talkn about?!?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
9 hours ago, Dicey said:

Also, I feel like sharing this video of the Aggie Band during marching practice. I hope it doesn't break any rules or anything. Those wearing the maroon shirts (instead of the white ones with the Aggie Band eagle on them) are incoming freshman. Video from a couple weeks ago.

The counter march (where the band turns back in on itself, going in the opposite direction) I think is probably the worst thing for the current times, people passing shoulder to shoulder into the faces of those playing instruments. Nightmare. Plenty of high schools who march military style will be doing similar kinds of things too. The only thing worse would probably be the 4-way cross, which normally takes an entire season to perfect, in which two people cross taking up the same "grid" space within the march with someone's toe against the other person's heel as they pass rubbing shoulder to shoulder with bodies turned to slide past each other. 

Man, it takes me back. My days in the Band were probably some of the toughest days of my life, but I look back on it now with extreme fondness and pride.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ManvsMini - Playing in the stands is not the same kind of performance from a uniformity standpoint. People were allowed to wear jackets or not, use music stand or not, etc while in the stands. But, once on the field, everyone is in the same uniform and there are no music stands. So, because there are no halftime performances, it's probably not going to be an issue.

The SEC rules limit those who can be on the field or sidelines to very specific people. There will be no awards ceremonies, no performances, no recognition of alumni on the field, etc. And yes, Aggies normally "march in" to the stands pre-game, then get to their section of seating. Then, they would play from the stands for the entire Corps of Cadets as it passes for Review (on the sidelines) prior to every home football game at Kyle Field. The National Anthem and such are normally played from the stands since the Band is already there. The Corps would typically exit Kyle Field in formation and then re-enter via the normal gates to attend the game. This is all done at least an hour prior to kick-off.

The most impressive precision drill team that I have ever seen was from New Zealand - top notch, precise, incredible discipline, and... amazingly silly - dropping into a precision haka, for example, without missing a beat.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Took my son’s car in for service. Oil change, alignment, and find out why the brake warning lamps were lit. Well, just got the call on the possible why. 

Bunnies. 

Some rodent, probably of a larger size, has reached up into the warm engine well and chewed through a wire or too. 

Might need W.O.O.F. and MEOW’s help in fighting back this menace to keep it from reoccurring!

L.O.T.S.

Has had [unfortunately] experience in this area.

Either bunnies or squirrels to the tune of $550+ a number of years ago.

GEM

• Sad 6
On 8/31/2020 at 9:15 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Got the last of the write ups from the after school campaigns.

Most were between a half page to a page and a half - one was three pages.

The bard/reporter's was four pages - she wants a story feat she called The Big Story, uncovering something that will change the City.

Fortunately, the adventure they are in right now will qualify. ::): The captain of the Precinct has been accused of a crime he... may or may not have committed. Casey certainly had the means, motive, and opportunity to petrify the corrupt sergeant, and shatter him.

But the big surprise was the write up that came in today from my 'problem player'.

Five pages. And a lot more self aware than I had expected.

Starting before the adventure that began the last day of school.

His character... got called on the carpet by Big Blue, because of a complaint from the Deputy Medical Examiner.

Big Blue gave him a choice - sensitivity training or having a complaint written into his permanent record, and mandatory sensitivity training.

Yeah, he had his own character getting a dressing down for being a sexist insensitive jerk. By a beholder. :lol:

He wants a trait making Diplomacy and Sense Motive class skills, and to spend a point in each to actually have the skills.

In case anyone was wondering, I said yes. He is trying to have his character experience character growth.

Classes were supposed to start this week, instead they are beginning the day after my birthday.

The Auld Grump

Read it.

Bet you a box of donuts he's also submitting it for a creative writing class. ::D:

And good on him! Getting double mileage AND character growth? Priceless. ::):

On 8/31/2020 at 9:15 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Got the last of the write ups from the after school campaigns.

Most were between a half page to a page and a half - one was three pages.

The bard/reporter's was four pages - she wants a story feat she called The Big Story, uncovering something that will change the City.

Fortunately, the adventure they are in right now will qualify. ::): The captain of the Precinct has been accused of a crime he... may or may not have committed. Casey certainly had the means, motive, and opportunity to petrify the corrupt sergeant, and shatter him.

But the big surprise was the write up that came in today from my 'problem player'.

Five pages. And a lot more self aware than I had expected.

Starting before the adventure that began the last day of school.

His character... got called on the carpet by Big Blue, because of a complaint from the Deputy Medical Examiner.

Big Blue gave him a choice - sensitivity training or having a complaint written into his permanent record, and mandatory sensitivity training.

Yeah, he had his own character getting a dressing down for being a sexist insensitive jerk. By a beholder. :lol:

He wants a trait making Diplomacy and Sense Motive class skills, and to spend a point in each to actually have the skills.

In case anyone was wondering, I said yes. He is trying to have his character experience character growth.

Classes were supposed to start this week, instead they are beginning the day after my birthday.

The Auld Grump

Read it.

Bet you a box of donuts he's also submitting it for a creative writing class. ::D:

And good on him! Getting double mileage AND character growth? Priceless. ::):

46 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

could you share the link to the video you watched? My instant pot spaghetti has always been a fail.

https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-spaghetti-264230

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
50 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

Teh tarik? Teh O? Teh kosong?

I thought it was supposed to be "Tango Romeo One Two Five Six Bravo". Niner is to distinguish nine from the audibly similar Five.

F-I-V-E is also pronounced "feye-eyeve" if you are from a certain era.

For that same era N-I-N-E is pronounced "Neye-ine".

GEM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I propose that all marching bands become driving bands, with every instrument player on the rear of an open air golf cart. 

This allows adequate distancing from other band members (save their driver), while upping the thrill factor of their routines and performances. 

So, the Shriners are recruiting again?

The Auld Grump

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, haldir said:

Scoots bottles of paint under the rug.... "Whachu talkn about?!?"

*snickers* I hear you on such...  This winter, I'll probably be trying to find ways of getting Tamiya Acrylics home alongside more from Mission Models, as well as Vallejo Mecha, and come spring, I'll be ordering in the rest of the Reaper Bones paint I don't have (assuming that they don't decide to just nerf the line out of the blue, like they did with HD...), and right now that's two sets more or less of Bones, and both Pathfinder sets...  I also kind of really want to try out Monument's Pro-Acryl, but that will have to wait until spring...

Somewhere in all of those plans I'm picking up an airbrush too...

My assembly desk is also going to grow from it's current 4' wide to 6' in order for me to have two workspaces - one for assembling smaller stuff as well as terrain, and the other for a long term project (the first of which will be my A-10, unless some Star Wars kits like say the Tie Interceptor manage to sneak themselves in...), and it will be getting two shelves above it for paint storage too..

• Like 4