Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kuroneko I think it's a hotel, I've never seen it super close.

@ManvsMini Singapore has some historic sites but you need to dig a little deep to find some, though I feel the main appeal for me is the cleanliness and order in the city as well as the really interesting local spirit and culture. 

@Corsair Good to hear about the new stuff! 

@WhiteWulfe Sending my sympathy. 

Edited by BadgersinMeadows
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

Both of the previous ones came out nice.

Thank you.  ::):

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

I saw some on Amazon that were not as artful, and cost waaay more than I'd pay for a plate that collects dust.  One looked like they'd tossed the floor sweepings into the kiln.

You probably really wouldn't like the prices on our stuff then. My wife's pricing formula includes kiln time and materials, and that's only a fraction of the cost.  The bulk of her prices is labor rate, which she calculates at $10/hr. And that's probably low, because both of us are bad about logging ALL the time we spend on a piece. She's really bad about not charging her time working on patterns. After this big piece of hers is finished, she's probably going  to start implementing a non-refundable pattern fee for all pieces over 12" x 12".  Earlier this year, she put in something like 10 hrs designing a pattern for a potential client for a 12" x 24" piece, only to have that client back out once the final price was quoted.  

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

well he's doing the same thing... he is just doing it with STYLE!. Seriously though cool asthetic!  Those plates look really nice.  Maybe some day they'll be worth millions and you'll be recognized as the Glass van Gosh!:winkthumbs:

Thank you. ::):

It's a nice dream, but I doubt that will happen. One of the FB groups I belong to is call Fused Glass Fanatics, and has 22k followers - a lot of the work shown there is truly amazing. Those guys will get recognized long before I do. 

Edited by kristof65
to remove double post
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Almost weekend!

Saturday I will be working with the cobblestones in the garden again, hope I can finish it.

Sunday one of my Girl's nephews does his confirmation for Church, so we will attend at the party after that and bring him some gifts.

Due to the virus we will not go to the Service itself and won't stay long because other family will attend as well, we're going in shifts..

Tonight I will cook fresh spaghetti with bacon, shrooms, zuchinni and red wine and tomatoe/garlic sauce. Grated cheese and olives as condiments.

For Saturday night I'm thinking about a Tapas/Mezes dish with all sorts of little dishes.

I love that, I really miss not going to Greece  or Spain this year, I especially always love Greece.

So I will try to emulate it by making a nice mezes/tapas style dinner.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Well, it’s my day off, and I had expected to spend some time painting.  Unfortunately, I popped up with symptoms last night that are consistent with a retina about to detach.  ::o: So, I am being seen right after lunch.  In the meantime, stay calm, and probably not the best day for the painting...

@MusicalFeline, definitely no need to feel shy about sharing good news.  I am in the “like to know that not everyone’s day is bad” on my off days.  Have fun with the musical...I was in “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” once...(er, counts on fingers)...43 years ago.

So, nothing so cute as otters, but I meant to post this when it happened; two weeks ago on a day off, I went out for a long bike ride.  I stopped in a park to safely eat my energy bar mid-ride, and felt a disturbance at my ankle.  When I looked down, I saw that I had picked up a passenger:

AEFE61AC-51E0-4BDA-9DA0-E82824821B16.thumb.jpeg.58af232245ddcae48e7e40296633d21b.jpeg

She/he was persistent, and clung there long enough for me to get the picture.  I had to shake my leg firmly to get them to move on ...

I didn't know you were a Disney princess!!! ::P:

Very cool, I love animals!

And good luck with the retina thing, hope it will turn out to be alright.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

14 hours ago, Citrine said:
21 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I needn't have worried. Crippling impostor syndrome strikes again ::P:

One of last night's class-crashers was in the office hours today with myself, her normal TA, and the professor. Student made the plea to switch sections, saying in front of her own TA "and [Neb] actually taught us" :blink:

First, no nobody is being transferred to my class and that's fine. I'm already teaching a 28 person section when it's supposed to be 10 students max. Second, the professor waited for everyone else to leave and then begged me to stay on next term :ph34r: Not sure the IRS would allow it given filing season and all but I think I'll have the opportunity to teach all of the Fall Semesters I want from now on.

I think if you enjoy teaching more and it pays the bills, you should do that instead of the IRS...

^Agreed

COFFEE

13 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I can pay the bills if I only do this one term a year. I can't pay the bills if I do only teaching. The IRS pays me twice as much as teaching and gives me good health insurance. Kinda need those...

Ah, well that's fair. The government does have solid benefits.

Today - Study for the CPA, and taking 2 reapercon classes. Still need to pull the paints out... and find a mini to use for the tartan class...

• Like 10

And caught up.  Finally.  I hate skipping pages.

Was hoping to do a bunch of work in the garage this weekend, but had something grab in my back Wednesday night after my massage (happens occasionally, some little annoyed spot gets missed and then takes advantage of all the normal problem spots being relaxed...). This one was annoying in that sitting up, like in my desk chair for work, was hideously uncomfortable, then trended quickly into painful. So I took a day off.

Today is a lot better, but still not optimal for me doing what I wanted to this weekend. A bit frustrating. But on the plus side there is F1 and a new season of The Boys, if I HAVE to sit and rest....

• Like 12

It's a good and bad day today. 

Good, I finished early with the Agile planning meeting, and now I have a 3.5 day weekend yay! I feel less stressed already. 

Bad, I donated 3 hours to the company, instead of burning up some vacation. 

Worse, my son was supposed to visit this weekend,  but his girlfriend's coworker just tested positive for Covid, and he is protecting me by staying away. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

@ManvsMini Singapore has some historic sites but you need to dig a little deep to find some, though I feel the main appeal for me is the cleanliness and order in the city as well as the really interesting local spirit and culture. 

It is on my list of places to go to someday. If I am ever qualified to do a job that sends me there, I'd probably jump at the chance. But that is also true for several other places.

@Glitterwolf you clearly enjoy cooking (or so it seems). Have you ever made nasi goreng, and if so, do you have a good recipe for it?

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Was hoping to do a bunch of work in the garage this weekend, but had something grab in my back Wednesday night after my massage (happens occasionally, some little annoyed spot gets missed and then takes advantage of all the normal problem spots being relaxed...).

Do you have access where you are to product called Namman Muay Boxing Liniment? Looks like this:

namman_muay.jpg.c89c3e732d16c2fe491d763ec1200bf7.jpg

The stuff works extremely well when it is massaged in, and a little bit can go a long way. It's like Tiger Balm or Icy Hot, except that it is a liquid so you can cover more surface area. Works wonders for muscle pains (and bruises, just not on the face). Here in the States I can find it at most Asian grocery stores, just have to ask the clerk. Costs about between 7 and 9 USD for around 150mL (roughly, maybe less). I've recommended it to a lot of friends and family that suffer from muscle or joint pain (one even had sciatica) and they all said it helped.

It needs to be massaged in though to make it work: my brother recommended it to a co-worker, who tried it, used a whole bottle, said it didn't work, but hadn't rubbed it in, was putting it on like cologne...

Edited by ManvsMini
typos
  • Like 10

Today's been crazy. Up early for a class, barely made it, no breakfast. Three of my neighbors decided to mow their front yards this morning during the class.  Two hours later I'm trying to shoo flies out the window, being bit by mosquitoes while trying to fry bacon. Four bites, burned bacon, no more flies, house smells like smoke.  After yesterday's class I went and did some painting, I think I may have learned something. This morning my brain is like a sponge dripping with class info....

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, whether they are doing reapercon stuff or not. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

@Glitterwolf you clearly enjoy cooking (or so it seems). Have you ever made nasi goreng, and if so, do you have a good recipe for it?

Of course!

I love Indonesian food.

Question, to make sure I use the right measurements and to know if you can get certain stuff...

Which country do you live in?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Of course!

I love Indonesian food.

Question, to make sure I use the right measurements and to know if you can get certain stuff...

Which country do you live in?

I am in the USA. As for measurements, I am fluent in converting from metric to imperial systems (thank you science background and with having lived in Germany for two years).

• Like 7

Afternoon everyone..... Coffee is made we all slept in this morning. The youngest is having allergy problems so she stayed home from school. The youngest son did not have to go to college as they have a four day weekend. I have to be at work at three and odds are I will work all weekend..... It is crap, but hey, I just need to win the lottery so I can have everyday off. 

Anyways I got some painting done yesterday, so today I need to work on laundry.  Hope everyone's day is going great.

• Like 8