Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

Well my last day of RCon Live ended with a cold shower of reality.

Someone in my building died. :down:

Ambulance came by earlier today. We have several elderly folks living here, so not that unusual. Then up to three patrol cars, and the police asking questions if we knew if the tenant had health issues. Turns out it was the ground floor tenant and not my immediate elderly neighbors (I live on the top floor). I don't even know if she's the only tenant, but she was a young woman.

I didn't give more thought until a hearse came by a few minutes ago. Not the classic shape, but seeing a police officer with paperwork talking to the nicely dressed vehicle operators, and see them pull out a stretcher lined with a red velvet body bag, and then see them dress up in bio-hazard suits...

A sobering event as I was watching watching the RCon closing ceremony Twitch stream.

• Sad 26

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

a part of my dinner exploded

2 hours ago, Keianna said:

I hate it when that happens. I do that to potatoes about once a week. 

That is about what I expect everytime I do anything in the kitchen….

:rock:

Even if a toaster is not involved.

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

it was a reheated pork rib that 

Interesting.

And this was microwaved….?

• Like 4

Just now, TGP said:

That is about what I expect everytime I do anything in the kitchen….

:rock:

Even if a toaster is not involved.

Interesting.

yep

• Like 4

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Well judgement weekend has come & the verdict has passed. My county is "BLEEP! BLEEP! BLEEP!" Yah, govnah just looked at us & laughed as she kept us at Phase 1.

They're about to start shutting back down in places here. You can guess why. 

1 hour ago, haldir said:

It's a holiday & we don't get our mail till around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I highly doubt USPS is going to make me an exception on a holiday.

USPS dropped off a package for me yesterday (Sunday). I was equally surprised. 

17 minutes ago, TGP said:

Interesting.

I know. The idea that there's leftover bbq to reheat just confuses me. 

Wow, it's getting dark early these days. 

• Like 8

Gummy bear fun on reapercon online. Surprisingly, brown liner worked well on the gummy bear. 20200907_130932.thumb.jpg.f39ce9c16726ceef913eeb2557e635eb.jpg

20200907_131048.thumb.jpg.fbc9f65e6fb463927b544b2c5a7f5a2e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 2

Anyone ever have to syringe feed meds to a rabbit? Day 3 of a 2 week regiment & we are doing ok, but if there is a easier way or tips, please send them our way.

Currently we are using a large plastic syringe the vet gave us & then we crush up her meds before putting them in various liquids. We've tried apple juice, (my wife tried baby food yesterday, that one was a no..) & tonight I did a little bit of sugar in water. The meds are heavy so they don't really mix well with the water. 

Also, we do the bunny burrito method of a blanket, as friendly as she is doesn't like to be held & her back legs are strong.

I hate causing more stress on her & I just want her to get better. So again, if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate them.

• Sad 10

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Annnd.. the brain weasels are having a dance party. What I don't need...

*gets the club and wades in to start playing whack-a-weasel*

mine have been going crazy since things started ending with Reapercon. I'll fight yours if you fight mine?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anyone ever have to syringe feed meds to a rabbit? Day 3 of a 2 week regiment & we are doing ok, but if there is a easier way or tips, please send them our way.

Currently we are using a large plastic syringe the vet gave us & then we crush up her meds before putting them in various liquids. We've tried apple juice, (my wife tried baby food yesterday, that one was a no..) & tonight I did a little bit of sugar in water. The meds are heavy so they don't really mix well with the water. 

I hate causing more stress on her & I just want her to get better. So again, if anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate them.

Had to do it a bunch with one of my hamsters. It's not easy, but he was pretty laid back about it all, and with his diabetes it was was longer than 2 weeks, but not a daily thing. Just when it acted up.

Good luck...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Also, we do the bunny burrito method of a blanket, as friendly as she is doesn't like to be held & her back legs are strong.

I've never had a bunny or a rabbit, but I've had to syringe meds into cats before, and it ain't easy, so you have my sympathy. What type of meds are you having to feed her?

Carrot juice maybe? (legit, being serious, though the more I think about it, the funnier/dickish it sounds.) Call the vet, see if it's ok to give her (possibly too much sugar?) and if it will mess with the meds you have to give her (i.e. if it will prevent them from absorbing into her system). Possibly give her blended lettuce juice.

I've never been able to give the full dose in one shot of the syringe. Push part of the plunger in to deliver a little medicine, take the syringe out of the mouth, try to calm the animal, then go again. I try to stick to using an amount of water that only requires me to do the process twice, at most three times. And once you get the syringe in her mouth, don't hesitate on shooting it in or else she'll move her head (as I am sure you are/have experienced).

The minimum amount of water to get as much of the med dissolved is critical. I know it can be easier to use more liquid to dissolve a powder, but that just prolongs having to put her through the process. With heavy meds or ones that don't dissolve easily in water, just slurry it, and keep the syringe moving to keep the medicine suspended so it doesn't collect together or clog the syringe (unless you have the syringe in her mouth, of course).

Best of luck!

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 10

56 minutes ago, haldir said:

I haven't had a bunny since I was a teenager, but I do a lot of medicating of cats.

• The Little Wildcat does not do well with the purrito, which was a problem when I had to give her eye meds a few months back.  I wrapped myself around her from behind so that she could really only back into my knees.  This bears an uncomfortable resemblance to jumping on a hand grenade, but I still have all the parts I started with.
  • If the meds won't mix in water, you could try vegetable oil.  Meds for immediate consumption only have to be edible, not sterile.  Syrup would probably be a bit of shock on the system for a little critter.
  • There's something to be said for efficient ruthlessness.  We have a large deworming tablet that I give to the kittens via the "scruff and stuff" method.  Scruff the little monster, jam the pill as far down as it will go, and release.  Done right, it takes seconds and the poor beastie just goes about their business like nothing happened.  Bunny teeth are more dangerous than cat teeth, so keep that in mind.
  • Most meds are available in different , more costly formulations that may be easier to apply.  Our elderly cat usually gets her antibiotics in a shot because she fights oral meds like a toothless wounded demon.  We also have a compounding pharmacy in the area for when the off the shelf drugs aren't eye-wateringly expensive enough.
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

For those of you who think 2020 has been bad [count me in] it could be worse - a lot worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=s3YTfhJmh1I&feature=emb_logo

GEM

I gave up on that when it became obvious they don't know what they're talking about - claiming that a 1.6-2.5 degree Celcius drop in temperatures corresponds to over 30 degrees Fahrenheit drop...

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I gave up on that when it became obvious they don't know what they're talking about - claiming that a 1.6-2.5 degree Celcius drop in temperatures corresponds to over 30 degrees Fahrenheit drop...

Wait.. Whut? O_o

For most of the scale a change of 1C makes a change of 1.8F, with the two being the same at -40....  Actually, that's the entire scale where the change ratio is the same... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4