Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

On 7/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, PaganMegan said:

That's nice to know. ::):

Just had some of the skunkiest, most bitter IPA I have ever tried.

Worse, it was the first can out of a twelvepack. :zombie:

Just sampled a can, planning on using it for cooking.

One sip, and threw it away,

There is no way that a canned beer can get skunked - it's caused by light contamination.

Nevertheless, that was some of the skunkiest beer I have ever tried.

How the Hell did they manage to skunk a canned beer?

*EDIT* Getting Megan a six pack of Stockyard Stout by way of apology - that stuff was every bit as skunky and nasty as she had claimed.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:
47 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I gave up on that when it became obvious they don't know what they're talking about - claiming that a 1.6-2.5 degree Celcius drop in temperatures corresponds to over 30 degrees Fahrenheit drop...

Wait.. Whut? O_o

For most of the scale a change of 1C makes a change of 1.8F, with the two being the same at -40....  Actually, that's the entire scale where the change ratio is the same... 

I think they must have just plugged the temperatures into Google and found the corresponding absolute values (not relative).

Edited by sumbloke
Submit didn't seem to be working. Deleted repeat.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Thanks. I certainly think so.  She is so happy this piece is done - the early frustrations she had combined with how long it took to assemble nearly burned her out. Her next piece is a commission from a standard pattern, but she's a lot more excited to work on it because she knows it will go a lot smoother and quicker. 

I'm very excited to see it come to life! :wub:

I didn't expect to be able to pick out the glass colors myself, so I'm looking forward to that. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Just sampled a can, planning on using it for cooking.

One sip, and threw it away,

There is no way that a canned beer can get skunked - it's caused by light contamination.

Nevertheless, that was some of the skunkiest beer I have ever tried.

How the Hell did they manage to skunk a canned beer?

*EDIT* Getting Megan a six pack of Stockyard Stout by way of apology - that stuff was every bit as skunky and nasty as she had claimed.

The Auld Grump

It came pre-skunked. The skunking process probably happened in between the pointless bittering and the canning but before the pasteurization.

IPA-dislike aside, since I'm down 40 pounds I'm seriously considering going off keto more often. I'm not stressed by the IRS this term and there's all these noodles in my pantry and I really miss beer...

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I didn't expect to be able to pick out the glass colors myself, so I'm looking forward to that. 

::):

Oh, yeah, she does like clients to collaborate with her on colors. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression in my stories of her frustration. 

Most people are "Ooh, I like these colors" & "I liked this type of glass at HL, but not that color" & "Could you make this part a shade of green/blue/red/some other color?" and then let her figure the rest of it out, based on what glass she can get/has in stock.  Especially on the panels that have dozens and dozens of pieces.  

The last guy didn't like any of the glass at HL, nor any of the glass she sent pictures of.  Part of the problem is that he was looking to closely replicate colors/patterns on his existing product packaging - he didn't really want any artistic interpretation. 

I don't think she is going to do any more projects like that. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

::):

Oh, yeah, she does like clients to collaborate with her on colors. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression in my stories of her frustration. 

Most people are "Ooh, I like these colors" & "I liked this type of glass at HL, but not that color" & "Could you make this part a shade of green/blue/red/some other color?" and then let her figure the rest of it out, based on what glass she can get/has in stock.  Especially on the panels that have dozens and dozens of pieces.  

The last guy didn't like any of the glass at HL, nor any of the glass she sent pictures of.  Part of the problem is that he was looking to closely replicate colors/patterns on his existing product packaging - he didn't really want any artistic interpretation. 

If she does do any of that sort of work in the future she should have a much better idea for how much the "agravation factor" should contribute to the total cost.  Trying to duplicate a color pallete in a different medium always presents challenges, and I imagine it is especially difficult in a medium such as glass where the properties of the medium are completely different from any print medium.

GEM

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

1599442036838.thumb.jpg.4ee7bf5afed43849f2cab9aee6c56a03.jpg

...for the Halloween of 2020, a full moon shall be upon us.....

My roommate posted our plans for social distanced trick-or-treating on the city's social media and had it pinned by the city. Now we have a bunch of people wanting to come see our house, so more reasons to go all out with decor and stuff :wub::;,;:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Since its the anniversary of the first broadcast one of the most iconic sci-fi series ever.....

Happy Star Trek Day everyone! 

tribbles.thumb.jpg.ce660009624fd4988dc697d7dd1cb5dd.jpg

There are some virtual panels being put on today that... I'm not going to watch till Saturday after the exam... assuming they host them for later viewing.

image.thumb.png.f60a6cdc180f15df9348ba59b3848c0d.png

COFFEE!!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Well....the client is a micro brewery trying to sell brews. 

Curious what the green/iridescent emblem starts the very middle is. Hops?

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

This client wanted an artist / stained glass technician

Charge more, if SGT is the role a client wants her to play. 

• Like 9

On 9/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, Inarah said:

Regarding notReapercon, I think @TaleSpinner said it today in his class: "I can't hear any of you laughing." 

THAT PART SUCKED!!!!!  My nerves kept building and building until by the end I was actually shaking.  Usually, I crack a joke or two during class; if everyone laughs, I'll know the students are relaxed and enjoying it (at least not pissed).  In this format, you get nothing but silence and it caused my subconscious to think that I was failing miserably. Logically, I knew it was probably fine, but I had no way to know except for checking comments, which is very impractical when you are sculpting and trying to cover a lot of material in a short time.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

THAT PART SUCKED!!!!!  My nerves kept building and building until by the end I was actually shaking.  Usually, I crack a joke or two during class; if everyone laughs, I'll know the students are relaxed and enjoying it (at least not pissed).  In this format, you get nothing but silence and it caused my subconscious to think that I was failing miserably. Logically, I knew it was probably fine, but I had no way to know except for checking comments, which is very impractical when you are sculpting and trying to cover a lot of material in a short time.

I think the solution is to have a wingman/sidekick/moderator who reads the chat to you. Kinda like radio talk show guys have call-screeners. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I imagine it is especially difficult in a medium such as glass where the properties of the medium are completely different from any print medium.

GEM

You got that right.

If it is just simple color matching, then it isn't too bad - glass is manufactured in a huge array of colors. It's accounting for the other properties of glass that make it hard. For example, if you want translucent glass so that it can be back-lit, you have to choose the glass while it's back-lit with a similar type of back lighting, because some glasses have a wide color shift.  And then if you're doing any kiln work of the glass, you have to be aware that some colors will actually change color during the kiln firing process. And then not all colors photograph accurately. 

I just did a plate that uses a green that looks black when sitting on the table, but when held up to the light is a brilliant green to the naked eye, but still looks black if you photograph it.

• Like 11