Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

Curious what the green/iridescent emblem starts the very middle is. Hops?

That is exactly what it is supposed to be.

That was one of the parts that led to contention.  That part was supposed to have some extra lines/details painted/fired on, but then he went and picked an expensive iridescent glass where that iridescence wouldn't survive the kiln firing.  And you can kind of see what I was referring to above in the other green that looks almost black.

Not the same green I used in my plate, but similar. 

One of the things that prompted a phone call discussion between them was the word Wonderland.   He wanted white letters on purple glass, which is what she did. But most glass paints are opaque and look black when back-lit, even white. 

• Like 6

On 9/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, kristof65 said:

No cringeworthy facepalm customers today, thankfully. 

And yes, I logged off and turned my phone off before I posted this. 

Guess what I logged in this morning to find?

An email inbox full of these, starting about an hour after I logged out for the weekend. 

Teach me to open my big mouth...<_<

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Guess what I logged in this morning to find?

An email inbox full of these, starting about an hour after I logged out for the weekend. 

Teach me to open my big mouth...<_<

Rate them according to level of idiocy?  And work through them accordingly, least to most. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

If it is just simple color matching, then it isn't too bad - glass is manufactured in a huge array of colors. It's accounting for the other properties of glass that make it hard. For example, if you want translucent glass so that it can be back-lit, you have to choose the glass while it's back-lit with a similar type of back lighting, because some glasses have a wide color shift.  And then if you're doing any kiln work of the glass, you have to be aware that some colors will actually change color during the kiln firing process. And then not all colors photograph accurately. 

Working with glass is a true art form.

When I worked for the chemistry department, we had a scientific glassblower on staff (fun fact: there are only about 400 of those in the country at the time, which I hope ups ones pay-grade considerably). He was a third-generation glassblower, and had taken the extra training to be a scientific one. He could put hazardous gases into what would eventually be flawless single-piece glass containers. The man could fix just about anything, as long as it wasn't smashed into a jigsaw puzzle. Saved us lots of money on replacing expensive broken glassware. He also eventually had a yellow labrador puppy called Nilla that slept under his desk, so that earned him extra points.

He also still did glass art at his home shop. I got to see pictures of some of his work, and it was beautiful. Always made me rethink my career path when I went down to his shop at the university.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Crowley said:

Had to do it a bunch with one of my hamsters. It's not easy, but he was pretty laid back about it all, and with his diabetes it was was longer than 2 weeks, but not a daily thing. Just when it acted up.

Good luck...

I think when we owned Molly (the family guinea pig) I don't think we ever had to feed her medication. She had a couple surgeries for gall stones but unless those required pills afterwards (it's been a few years), I can't remember. Molly lived almost 10 years too.

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I've never had a bunny or a rabbit, but I've had to syringe meds into cats before, and it ain't easy, so you have my sympathy. What type of meds are you having to feed her?

Carrot juice maybe? (legit, being serious, though the more I think about it, the funnier/dickish it sounds.) Call the vet, see if it's ok to give her (possibly too much sugar?) and if it will mess with the meds you have to give her (i.e. if it will prevent them from absorbing into her system). Possibly give her blended lettuce juice.

Your fine, any advice right now, I'll listen to. Oddly, she's never been a fan of carrots. She'll eat a baby carrot here & there but overall she is like "Got anything better?". If we could, she loves bananas so maybe sprinkle up a crushed one inside what she'll eat?? It has to be crushed, vet's orders. I explained what the meds are down below, but clarity, they are a heart medication.

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I've never been able to give the full dose in one shot of the syringe. Push part of the plunger in to deliver a little medicine, take the syringe out of the mouth, try to calm the animal, then go again. I try to stick to using an amount of water that only requires me to do the process twice, at most three times. And once you get the syringe in her mouth, don't hesitate on shooting it in or else she'll move her head (as I am sure you are/have experienced).

The minimum amount of water to get as much of the med dissolved is critical. I know it can be easier to use more liquid to dissolve a powder, but that just prolongs having to put her through the process. With heavy meds or ones that don't dissolve easily in water, just slurry it, and keep the syringe moving to keep the medicine suspended so it doesn't collect together or clog the syringe (unless you have the syringe in her mouth, of course).

Best of luck!

You pretty much described exactly what I've been going through with her. I'm afraid I'll jab her mouth in a wrong spot, or put too much liquid in at once, etc etc. As long as we see or hear her lips smacking when we do the meds, I think she'll be fine. Last night, I think I added too much water to her meds & that didn't help things. Funny thing is I didn't add allot either!! I think tonight, I'll still go with the little bit of sugar added to tap water again, but only put enough to mix in the meds. I did read a tip to dip the tip in honey or something the rabbit likes to munch on???

At least she is taking the meds.

10 hours ago, kitchen_wolf said:

I haven't had a bunny since I was a teenager, but I do a lot of medicating of cats.

• The Little Wildcat does not do well with the purrito, which was a problem when I had to give her eye meds a few months back.  I wrapped myself around her from behind so that she could really only back into my knees.  This bears an uncomfortable resemblance to jumping on a hand grenade, but I still have all the parts I started with.

(my wife bears scratches from her hind legs, so she knows about the grenade part of it.)

10 hours ago, kitchen_wolf said:
  • If the meds won't mix in water, you could try vegetable oil.  Meds for immediate consumption only have to be edible, not sterile.  Syrup would probably be a bit of shock on the system for a little critter.
  • There's something to be said for efficient ruthlessness.  We have a large deworming tablet that I give to the kittens via the "scruff and stuff" method.  Scruff the little monster, jam the pill as far down as it will go, and release.  Done right, it takes seconds and the poor beastie just goes about their business like nothing happened.  Bunny teeth are more dangerous than cat teeth, so keep that in mind.
  • Most meds are available in different , more costly formulations that may be easier to apply.  Our elderly cat usually gets her antibiotics in a shot because she fights oral meds like a toothless wounded demon.  We also have a compounding pharmacy in the area for when the off the shelf drugs aren't eye-wateringly expensive enough.

Thanks everyone. It's a task that she doesn't like but it has to be for her to get better. When my wife finally got her in at the vet last Friday, we found out she has fluid around her heart, some medical term sound name, but she said that for 2 weeks she can only have greens (she has been wolfing down her cilantro & parley the last couple days, which is good!!) & no citrus. Her meds are for that. When grounded up & in liquid that kinda resemble Metamucil (poor bunny.....). We are hoping to let her back outside by the weekend, but we want to make sure she is well enough to do that.

Plus, hey we are doing a trial winter run I guess. The last couple years since she has come into our lives she has been a communal bunny between us & the neighbor's ex-boyfriend, (who no longer lives there, thus she is now fully ours) & she has been fine being outdoors in the winter. As long as she'd come over every so often we weren't worried. Now that she is truly ours, things are bit changed as far as where she gonna stay. She has been ok inside (feels weird seeing a rabbit hopping around thou + hey she has found a place to poop, corner in my son's room.......::D:) but she is a outdoor. free willing spirit.

• Like 13

On 9/6/2020 at 9:05 AM, CaptainPete said:

I was poking around the Reaper site and decided to look into Warlord. And it looks like the books are long out of print. That's a shame. I can't even find a copy on eBay. I wonder if they've thought about putting PDFs of the books somewhere? Oh, well.

They are working on a new version of Warlord.  The old version relied on very expensive metal minis, so I assume they will be redirecting it toward Bones minis.  I'm personally hoping that means that factions like Korbolas will end up in Bones Black.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, haldir said:

I did read a tip to dip the tip in honey or something the rabbit likes to munch on???

That's a good idea. You might be able to smash up some banana and dip the tip in that? Maybe see if she'll lick it off first, then put more on, and if she goes after it again, push the plunger to give her some medicine along with it? Her meds might have an unpleasant taste to them, so that might be a way to overcome that.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

They are working on a new version of Warlord.  The old version relied on very expensive metal minis, so I assume they will be redirecting it toward Bones minis.  I'm personally hoping that means that factions like Korbolas will end up in Bones Black.

This I would love!

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

That's a good idea. You might be able to smash up some banana and dip the tip in that? Maybe see if she'll lick it off first, then put more on, and if she goes after it again, push the plunger to give her some medicine along with it? Her meds might have an unpleasant taste to them, so that might be a way to overcome that.

I may try that as well. Funny while trying to find tips yesterday after I posted. I read someone got their bunny hooked on canned pumpkin (again, poor bunny...:lol:) but when it came time for meds, the owner just stuck them in that & they had no problems. Smart forward thinking there.

Oddly, I never think of seeing if the bunny would like it. I hear it suppose to be good for them. I guess since I can't stand pumpkin, I just think of it.

Crazy weather day yesterday....jeesh. Extremely high winds came roaring in from the west, like 25 to 35 mph constantly all day with 55 mph gusts. It led to some crappy air quality with smoke from fires in the area & dirt & dust everywhere. We even got a fire evac alert on out phones. The area was way north of Ontario but close enough to matter to the outskirt houses. I read the "local" (ie Boise) news & there were numerous brush fires that started up in the area as well. Freakin 2020, just go away!!!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

what do people do when they have pet rats, and find non pet rats in their house?

Since those are wild ones they can infect your pets with diseases..

Catch them / eliminate them whatever you prefer, but do get rid of them.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:
5 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

what do people do when they have pet rats, and find non pet rats in their house?

Since those are wild ones they can infect your pets with diseases..

Catch them / eliminate them whatever you prefer, but do get rid of them.

Rat Traps ?  Pet rat lives in a cage right?

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

THAT PART SUCKED!!!!!  My nerves kept building and building until by the end I was actually shaking.  Usually, I crack a joke or two during class; if everyone laughs, I'll know the students are relaxed and enjoying it (at least not pissed).  In this format, you get nothing but silence and it caused my subconscious to think that I was failing miserably. Logically, I knew it was probably fine, but I had no way to know except for checking comments, which is very impractical when you are sculpting and trying to cover a lot of material in a short time.

I thought you did a terrific job.  I agree though that it would be a lot more fun to have some interaction.  Having to talk constantly for 2 or 3 hours is a monumental task by itself, especially with very little feedback.  But, as I said before, you did great!

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

Rat Traps ?  Pet rat lives in a cage right?

Preferably live traps, just in case...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1