Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Congrats!

Hey thanks, but I still haven't gotten in to the play yet. It's just my audition.

In other news, my computer's running like a piece of trash today, particularly when using Chrome. It relentlessly decides to stop responding, make the text in the tabs disappear, and whenever I right click it gives me this huge empty box instead of the little one with the words in it.

Not to mention randomly whiting out. Guess I'm supposed to grow in patience today.

Edited by MusicalFeline
  • Like 7

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

what do people do when they have pet rats, and find non pet rats in their house?

I've had this situation with mice, not rats, but my solution was catch and release far from the house.

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

With ReaperCon Live and the long Labor Day weekend, it took a while to realize we're Tuesday.

I strangely feel like Monday didn't really exist and went straight from Sunday to Tuesday.

It's  been a very Monday style Tuesday.

Okay, closed out of work for the day. Time to walk the beasts and spend the rest of the evening studying...

• Like 8

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Holy Broccoli. 

Trying to get shipping quotes for shipping that glass panel to the client this morning:

image.thumb.png.9226a9eb324324fb529dbcb761242079.png

Lowest one so far is 4x what the same crate cost to be shipped to us. 

You ready found an alternative but in the future I suggest shipping from a commercial address.  Never got a good reason why but the cost can be a third of residential rates and the bigger the load the higher the difference.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

True, but then we're giving away our time for free. Maybe if we had a bigger vehicle so that the whole family could go AND the window properly packed, that would be an option.  We're open to the client driving out and picking it up in person, though. 

But all is not lost. 

After chatting with a customer support agent, and properly checking off needed services, I got some more reasonable quotes:
image.thumb.png.44d1f41ee4fc246caf16a0f544c7a3dc.png

What's weird is how all over the place these quotes are.  FedEx Freight was $2200 compared to UPS's $676, and I have an account with FedEx and not UPS.  One company came in at $4700. 

My wife contacted the client to discuss this, and he didn't flinch at the freight prices - all he was concerned about was if he could pay the final invoice and shipping with a credit card. 

One of my favorite distributors came to our rescue. She called me on another matter this morning, and we wound up having a chat about shipping in general, which led me to mention this pricing issue I was having.  She handles freight shipping for them, and she offered to look into shipping it on their account for me. Just got the quote in from her, and it came in less than the lowest rate above. We can even pay her a "surcharge" on top of it, and still save the client money. 

You would think so :devil:

Getting her glass supply and finished pieces from her old studio in Colorado to her new studio here in Iowa a few years ago was a real challenge.  Despite all the care we took, we still had some damaged glass. 

And then we had to do it again with her dad's glass studio after he passed away last year, and despite what we learned from the first trip, we still had more damaged glass. 

I feel a lot better about the big heavy crate we have this one packed in. While it won't survive being dropped off a forklift, or being run through by one, it will handled bouncing along the highway a lot better. 

Just some advice from one who has seen how this stuff gets handled in transit.

A.  Make sure that you have the thing insured for at least twice the amount your customer was invoiced for the job.  If there is any damage in transit you are going to have mega hassles dealing with either a repair or a complete redo of the job, especially when the extra freighting charges both ways are taken into account.

B.  Get a guarantee In Writing that no other freight will be piled on top of this pallet.  The lumpers who load the trucks will try to pile as much stuff as possible in the available space, and if possible they will pile stuff [including boxes of heavy automotive replacement parts like Truck Brake Drums or Rotors] on top of your cargo, even if it is marked "fragile".

C.  If possible, specify "Top Load Only".  It will probably cost extra but that makes sure that your pallet gets put on the top of the load, hopefully on top of a full crated item.

-

I know this is a new area for you and your wife to be dealing with.  Given the delicate nature of the product and the extra care required in packaging and shipping it, any extra precautions you can take will go a long way towards the customer receiving the item with no damage claims.  Best of luck to you both.

GEM

2 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

New is in.

OPERATION: AUDITION FOR "YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN"

TIME: 16:05, 9/9/2020

I will be singing Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" and performing Act 2, Scene 1, "Snoopy's Imagination".

Yay?!?

"Break a Leg", trouper.

GEM

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Did she tell him no, she wants it all in coins so she could swim through it like Scrooge McDuck? #lifegoals

Specify New Minted Gold and Silver coinage.

GEM

• Like 7

On 9/7/2020 at 5:19 PM, Crowley said:

My trending score is in the low 70's. I need a 75 to pass. Saturday is the test.

*STRESS*

:;,;:

Do the practice tests at least identify what your problem area(s) is/are so you know what to focus on?

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

They are working on a new version of Warlord.  The old version relied on very expensive metal minis, so I assume they will be redirecting it toward Bones minis.  I'm personally hoping that means that factions like Korbolas will end up in Bones Black.

PREACH IT BROTHER!!!!

I've been begging for Koborlas in Bones since Bones 2.

• Like 6

So I'm attempting to actually paint a nice character mini for my daughter in an attempt to distract myself from the crappy things in life that make me ragingly angry.  I could try and start a WIP, but I'm not sure if I'll keep up with that.  I'm wondering, though, if anyone has any suggestions on what would make good shadow/highlight colors for the Clouded Sea paint from RCon?  I'm planning on doing a soft, cool color scheme with greyish blues, greens and purples.  And I really like the shade of Clouded Sea, but I'm not sure what might go well with it.

Oh, and hey, still alive and all that.  

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

You ready found an alternative but in the future I suggest shipping from a commercial address.  Never got a good reason why but the cost can be a third of residential rates and the bigger the load the higher the difference.

Yeah, I've known that for a long time.  About twice a year I get a small pallet of receipt paper rolls shipped to me from the Calgary factory. In Colorado, I had the pallet shipped to a vendor the factory buys parts from, and I would pick up from there. Here in Iowa, I have it shipped to one of the car washes, in exchange for them getting free shipping on their paper order. 

Really don't have an alternative for this one. The crate had to be packed and stored here at the house, and we have no means of loading/moving the whole crate. 

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just some advice from one who has seen how this stuff gets handled in transit.

A.  Make sure that you have the thing insured for at least twice the amount your customer was invoiced for the job.  If there is any damage in transit you are going to have mega hassles dealing with either a repair or a complete redo of the job, especially when the extra freighting charges both ways are taken into account.

B.  Get a guarantee In Writing that no other freight will be piled on top of this pallet.  The lumpers who load the trucks will try to pile as much stuff as possible in the available space, and if possible they will pile stuff [including boxes of heavy automotive replacement parts like Truck Brake Drums or Rotors] on top of your cargo, even if it is marked "fragile".

C.  If possible, specify "Top Load Only".  It will probably cost extra but that makes sure that your pallet gets put on the top of the load, hopefully on top of a full crated item.

-

I know this is a new area for you and your wife to be dealing with.  Given the delicate nature of the product and the extra care required in packaging and shipping it, any extra precautions you can take will go a long way towards the customer receiving the item with no damage claims.  Best of luck to you both.

GEM

We will have it specified to put nothing on top, but I doubt they could if they wanted to. We're using the same crate that the glass manufacturer used to ship a load of glass to the distributor, and the distributor used to ship our order to us.  It's basically a narrow 10 inch wide crate built on top of a pallet - and the crate is built with 2x8 "posts" at either end and 1x4 cross beams, and then braced with angles.  When wrapped with the pallet wrap, it looks like a tent.  

I'm not a complete stranger to shipping stuff via truck - a lot of stuff in the car wash industry is shipped by truck, it's just that I'm more on the periphery than the one doing the the paperwork and making arrangements. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Oh Tuesday, why are you masquerading as Monday?

Woke up to another extremely smoky day, but with moderated temperatures.

The west side of the same weather system that is supposed to dump snow in Denver is supposed to roll through here this evening, causing a Santa Ana Wind Condition.  If we get lucky, it will blow most of the smoke from the fires out of our valley [visibility has been a half mile or less all day] but at the cost of fanning the flames of the fires the other side of the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains.

Grumbling at UPS today.  For the last week they have been informing me to expect a package ~today~, the Kickstarter Reward for sponsoring a Wild West Theme Board Game.  When I check my e-mail this morning, they are now telling me to expect the package tomorrow.  Good thing I hadn't relied on their [demonstrably unreliable] tracking system to plan my week.

I hope everybody else is having a good Tuesday.

GEM

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

THAT PART SUCKED!!!!!  My nerves kept building and building until by the end I was actually shaking.  Usually, I crack a joke or two during class; if everyone laughs, I'll know the students are relaxed and enjoying it (at least not pissed).  In this format, you get nothing but silence and it caused my subconscious to think that I was failing miserably. Logically, I knew it was probably fine, but I had no way to know except for checking comments, which is very impractical when you are sculpting and trying to cover a lot of material in a short time.

If it makes you feel any better, last year I loved your class even though I felt awful through all of it.  (I was having a lot of stomach issues last summer.)  I even used some of the techniques recently to sculpt a tiny, tiny flower that I never could have done before.  

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I'm wondering, though, if anyone has any suggestions on what would make good shadow/highlight colors for the Clouded Sea paint from RCon?  I'm planning on doing a soft, cool color scheme with greyish blues, greens and purples.  And I really like the shade of Clouded Sea, but I'm not sure what might go well with it.

Oh, and hey, still alive and all that.  

Welcome back. 

I like clouded sea but have trouble matching it to other paints.  It doesn't really go with the deep ocean/marine teal triad, it's a little more green and desaturated. I think if I was looking for two other colors I would go with a dark rich color like monarch purple, and a lighter, brighter color like the grey you are thinking of. That will give you good contrast, and allow you to do a little blending, say to make a greyish purple,  or a brownish color with the purple and clouded sea, and lighten the clouded sea with the grey. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Inarah said:
9 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I hope they do some 'cool' things like chariots and other types of war machines. 

Hope everyone's day is going great. 

Yes! I want artillery for my armies. 

It is hard to imagine ..why.. in a Warlord game. 

Cannons and Catapults are for shooting at Barns or Watchtowers located 5 or 6 tables away. Big Cannons are very ponderous to aim at nearby troops unless grapeshot is involved. (I guess Razig does have little 3 pounders...) Grapeshot out of a big cannon would be an all or nothing sort of weapon. But one-shottting half the opposing forces? ...not a great, balanced Wargame. 

Trebuchets could not hit anything on a 3x3 or 4x4 foot table, anywhere would be  inside minimum range. Catapults same story, unless they were dinky ones. 

Ballistas and Bolt Throwers though, I could see being a thing. Especially if a ballista fires ball-shaped ammo in accordance with its name, like the Roman ones did. 

Caveat: I could see Trebs and Catapults being objectives in scenarios of the form: Take Out the Artillery Piece/Defend our Artillery. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

Cannons and Catapults are for shooting at Barns or Watchtowers located 5 or 6 tables away. Big Cannons are very ponderous to aim at nearby troops unless grapeshot is involved. (I guess Razig does have little 3 pounders...) Grapeshot out of a big cannon would be an all or nothing sort of weapon. But one-shottting half the opposing forces? ...not a great, balanced Wargame. 

You got reality in my fantasy game.  Lobbing big rocks or cannon balls at the enemy is fun. If I can have a big stompy  tree or a flying angel shooting lightning bolts, why not artillery pieces?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The "Center of The Universe" is located in Wallace, Idaho:

Strangely, they are correct —[?]— If our current astrophysics theories are correct. Inflation from a single point. 

My refrigerator is just as close to universe center as that manhole cover; the same is true of whatever Inarah’s cat is curled up on. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

In other news, my computer's running like a piece of trash today, particularly when using Chrome. It relentlessly decides to stop responding, make the text in the tabs disappear, and whenever I right click it gives me this huge empty box instead of the little one with the words in it.

Not to mention randomly whiting out. Guess I'm supposed to grow in patience today.

Chrome is a PITA...as are most of the other browsers....when it comes to RAM and system usage.

It sounds like it's trying to use system resources that aren't available, so maybe try disabling some add-ons and find the option to disable hardware acceleration and see if that makes a difference

• Like 5