Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

2 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

It's through a website (which you've granted access to webcam and microphone) or an app (which I didn't try). You only get to see the question a little while before you have to answer it. I would have loved to be emailed the questions so I could prepare properly...

As I said, it's a very impersonal way for them to do it, and I'm certainly not pleased about it either. Businesses that do that don't care about getting to know the person, they only care about how well you can respond to a question you received 30 seconds before to see if you'll be sent to the meat grinder that is their workplace.

There may be a bit of hyperbole in that, but it doesn't change the fact that the company is trying to be as detached from their future employees as possible.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, DocPiske said:

So blue is considered a "cool" color; as the paint you're looking to work with has blue and green, you could try adding blue or indigo to shade. Green can be either cool or warm depending on the adjacent colors, so adding pale green or yellow-green can be used as a highlight color. Paint overlapping swatches, let it dry and see how it looks.

Thanks!  I think I'm going to just dig out a sacrificial Bones mini and test colors on it.  Because I've done a fairly nice job of prepping the intended piece and I don't want to experiment on it.  

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

So, I went to an urgent care (hopefully it won’t cost me too much), and they have me antibiotics and told me to get some mucinex. They also did a covid test. So yay, out of work again.

The worse news is that Sephy is worse and now has boogers coming out of her eyes.

Sounds like Sephy has a sinus infection, which as I recall is often caused by the same bacteria that causes pneumonia.  My little girls had a lot of those when they were little, it was not a fun time.  

Having had pneumonia multiple times, I'm glad you're on antibiotics.  Mucinex can definitely help, but drink lots of water!  Lots and lots!  it only works if there's enough fluid in your system to thin out the congestion.  Sorry you're both so sick, it somehow seems to be part of having small children.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I also did one, though it was 4 years ago now. It was both unsuccessful and the very first interview I ever performed without pants. Not sure of the correlation, I've handled all of my pantsless meetings just fine this year.

Yeah but in this case, the person answering your questions ( you) knew that the person asking them (you again) was pantless, and therefore got a little distracted.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Home Depot has these for sale...

262442762_halloween-decorations-fog-breathing-dragon-4-5f3284e259f20__700(1).jpg.a9b5e94c5069d2364f67132b0f3cfd20.jpg

How did you find this?  My home depot fu is lacking, I NEED this!  

My other Halloween dragon is starting to fail after 5 years.  He needs a friend...

14 hours ago, haldir said:

I keep threatening my wife that I'm going to order this for Christmas yard decor:

515fUfQUbeL._AC_SX425_.jpg

She obviously doesn't care for yard inflatables & she is lucky I'm not into Christmas!!

And maybe a snack...

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Indeed. 

The only flaw I noticed was what might have been Sardaukar in space armor that was not Jet-Black. But one could hope those were Household soldiers or something. 

Matte black might not show up on the screen very well.  There might be artistic license involved.  I'm just happy to see a movie I might want to watch come out, something with a plot that doesn't revolve around slapstick or emotional drama or wearing a leotard supersuit

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I got an email today from a little speech therapy clinic I applied to a few months ago, asking if I'd like to interview for the SLP-A position (I'd applied to both that and their front desk position, been interviewed for the front desk and didn't get it). 

I about fell over myself responding with "Yes please!" and now I'm just waiting to hear back with a definitive day/time. :bday:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

That's great news!

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

How did you find this?  My home depot fu is lacking, I NEED this!  

My other Halloween dragon is starting to fail after 5 years.  He needs a friend...

It was from an article on Bored Panda

https://www.boredpanda.com/halloween-decorations-fog-breathing-dragon/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Make sure you get the optional smoke machine too ::D:

• Like 9

11 hours ago, haldir said:

zardoz-1.jpg

Sorry, Sting still wins. He was more fit, and that's not truly a diaper... I mean, suspenders with buckles? In keeping with the Dune vibe, that fashion is sooooo Butlerian Jihad...

Extremely thankful I didn't see that before I went to bed. Scantily-clad hairy men wearing Puss 'n Boots footwear and bearing revolvers give me nightmares.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, sumbloke said:
10 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:
10 hours ago, sumbloke said:

I just did a one-way video interview. Man that was weird...

That SOUNDS weird...

Did you just have a list of questions or something you read and answered or something?

Basically, yeah. It's apparently the new "in" thing for HR. You get some period of time to read the question and formulate your response, then record a video of your response (with a time limit on that as well). Shake and repeat for the remaining questions.

That sounds more like standardized testing than an interview. Though I have to admit, your original post made me think "no, no, that wasn't an interview, that was something that originates in a much darker place of the internet..."

10 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I also did one, though it was 4 years ago now. It was both unsuccessful and the very first interview I ever performed without pants. Not sure of the correlation, I've handled all of my pantsless meetings just fine this year.

I approve. Whatever else comes of this year, we can at least say we threw off pants.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 11

I don't know where all the hate for Sting in a diaper comes from.

image.png.5ab2c5e92797eb07911ce699ee921cd4.png

This is GLORIOUS!

COFFEE!!

Today's a day full of meetings. I'm going to try to get my boss to cancel the last one. It was supposed to be our weekly check in, which usually happens on Mondays, but, between the holiday, the month close, the fact that I'm taking Friday off... just kept getting bumped. And last night she rescheduled it for 4:30 today. And we're meeting at 10 on Monday. Nothing we talk about will have any action taken between now and then.

MOAR COFFEE!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

Today at work...had communications like this with a colleague

Me: I need you to update this URL to point to the new server.
Him: What about this line, doesn't this mean that it will match here and put in the wrong information
Me: It's  if_then_else logic, if it matches something earlier in the sequence it won't get to that point, ONLY update the lines I asked you to.

A few hours pass

Him: Can you check this, I've updated this line and this line and put this in so it doesn't match the wrong thing (on the lines I'd already told him to ignore)
Me: :zombie:

Some people just can't take direction...or need to make things more complicated than they actually are...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

Read on the website of the local newspaper that there's a ship with an ammonia leakage in dock at one of the shipyards in the fjord I'm from. 

300meter evacuation zone, lots of people evacuated, some sent to hospital....

Mostly this is their retelling of Tweets by the police, but want to know the really horrifying thing?

The complete article is behind a paywall. 

They didn't even mention the name of the shipyard in the title. 

Not that my parents live close to any of them... except one, and that one is converted to a fabrication shop and doesn't even have docks any more. Still, the local grocery store and post office is within the 300meter zone of one shipyard, and the road that leads to where my sister lives is right next to another. 

• Sad 18

The Canadian Cobra Chicken invasion has begun and is on the move!

1052339650.jpg

My heart filled with national pride as I heard them honking on their way this morning.

Now excuse me while I clean up the mess they left.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I'm just happy to see a movie I might want to watch come out, something with a plot that doesn't revolve around slapstick or emotional drama or wearing a leotard supersuit

Sooo... I guess I should scratch your name off the premiere invite-list if they finally make a movie based on my life?

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Make sure you get the optional smoke machine too ::D:

There. Fixed now. ^_^ If you have a dragon in your yard, it's not optional.

• Haha 11