Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

This morning has started off interesting:
in the service inbox:
- email from someone offering up to $10k for the company domain name.  I think they're going to need a few more zeroes at the end of that to get the company owner to bite. 

- an email supposedly from UPS telling us to contact them immediately or our shipment to Turkey will be abandoned.  The only countries the factory ships to are US, Canada, Australia and Iceland. 

Those made me chuckle, but the best part was the first call of the day.  Found the solution to an intermittent but frustrating problem that has plagued a handful of sites. When connected to the system locally, everything would work fine - but if you connected remotely, certain screens would cause the connection to lock up and drop out.  Only thing in common among all the sites I've seen this at was that they all had commercial grade routers with extensive firewalls.  As far as I can tell, those screens were triggering some sort of security lock down by the router.  Found a setting on our side that stops that from happening. 

The second call wasn't too bad either - figured out how someone exploited the system at one site to buy a couple dozen $100 gift cards using stolen/bad credit cards. Sent a bug report to the engineer, and had the pleasure of tagging all of the stolen gift cards so not only will they not work, they'll alert the attendant that the card was purchased with a bad credit card.  More than likely the person who "bought" the gift cards was turning around and selling them to people for cash, so maybe if enough people get burned, the person they bought the cards from will get caught. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well Broccoli. 

Just pulled this from the kiln. An air bubble formed while slumping and ruined the whole piece. 

20200911_101048.thumb.jpg.9110639048c925e4c4efddaa1a336d22.jpg

20200911_101111.thumb.jpg.0cc0a53802dcf6031f3556a84be12b7d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 22

8 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Well Broccoli. 

Just pulled this from the kiln. An air bubble formed while slumping and ruined the whole piece. 

20200911_101048.thumb.jpg.9110639048c925e4c4efddaa1a336d22.jpg

Good lookin' piece thou. I like the green near the base. Is the whole "black" area, green?

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

With all the smoke and ash in the air last night, this is how I've been feeling since I woke up...

Now Entering Silent Hill.jpg

It's funny you posted this as I recall last time I was over in Portland, we were walking around in the Montavilla neighborhood, 82nd ave but there was a kids at play sign for a school ground (see saw) & someone had pasted 2 opposite Mr. T heads onto the stick figures. It was funny as all hell. I wish I had a phone at the time when I seen it.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hmmm, something in the Universe decided to Ying my Yang.

I had to pay the medical bill for Brutus, a little over € 100...

Today I noticed I have won € 100 in the National Lottery..

This is the Universe looking out for Brutus. 
That means all is well. 

3 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

Had some pumpkin spice latte today, wasn't that bad but not what I was expecting. Have had a bit of a bad day, but it'll be better soon!! :)

If you’ve learned your lesson about PSL and avoid from now onward things can only improve. <_<

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

These days, you might need to be more specific as to which particular apocalypse.....

Weeeeeeelll. the western US is gonna burn up. Luckily, no fires other then a almost contained one down the road on US 26 here, but it's nasty over on the western & southern side. Hopefully no political BS from you know who comes around if the state needs federal assistance.

What a night a work, I almost told my boss (not the big boss or assistant big boss, but the grocery manager) where he could have shoved his order gun this morning when I seen him. We had 2 load in a row due to the Utah high winds & such. You'd think last night's order would have been significantly smaller then the Weds-Thursday load? I mean it was a blind order. We have tech in place to help with those. Yet, the GM totally ignored the beeps & boops from the order gun & just order whatever he felt like ordering. Luckily my co-worker & I have been throwing crap like this for it seems like an eternity, that we only got an hour of OT. Still, just tired of this crap with him + other things I mentioned to him that were bugging the hell out of me. I did say the same things to the asst manger as well, cause I knew it goes in one ear & out the other with "Buddy Holly" (yes, the kid (he's 22) looks like the second coming of Buddy Holly).  Glad I have tonight off.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, haldir said:

Good lookin' piece thou. I like the green near the base. Is the whole "black" area, green?

Thanks - yes, that's the "black" green area I was referring to.  Held up to the light it's a very pretty deep green. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, haldir said:
1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

So it is a Goblet Design Plate with a custom, unique, one-of-a-kind guacamole dish holder in the middle?  (Guacamole dish sold separately...)

Seriously, find a little dish that will fit the center, fill it with Salsa, dump some chips all around it, snap a photo ...and put that sucker on eBay!  (...or wherever you sold that last one).

At 3x the usual price. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

So it is a Goblet Design Plate with a custom, unique, one-of-a-kind guacamole dish holder in the middle?  (Guacamole dish sold separately...)

Seriously, find a little dish that will fit the center, fill it with Salsa, dump some chips all around it, snap a photo ...and put that sucker on eBay!  (...or wherever you sold that last one).

At 3x the usual price. 

My thought exactly.  

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Music is only that...music.

Taste differ, nothing to worry about.

Unless she listens to Justin Bieber, then worry!

And Fall Out Boy...

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hmmm, something in the Universe decided to Ying my Yang.

I had to pay the medical bill for Brutus, a little over € 100...

Today I noticed I have won € 100 in the National Lottery..

Proof that everything loves dogs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think I found my new favorite band last night while at work:

4d4f26d0a6344b5957b3b7629b8ee699.jpg

POWERWOLF!!!! Epics hard music!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Inarah said:

Do you want Bones minis that you can paint right out of the box, or do you want a machine you have to tweak and twiddle with which will allow you to make a variety of interesting and entertaining objects?  A 3d printer is a project by itself, even before you get to the cool files you can print.  

If you just want to paint, get the Bones.  If you like longer, involved projects, get the printer.    

15 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

That is a tough choice, assuming the answer can't be both of course.

If I could only pick one, and didn't have a bazillion, er 20, miniatures and 2 3D printers already, I would go with Bones.  There is a real deadline on that (which reminds me, I need to actually get my pledge picked in the pledge manager) while 3D printers (both kinds) will just keep getting better if you wait a few months or so. Also remember that Bones gives you everything you need, while a 3D printer gives you the tool, but then there are still consumable costs, like filament or resin, and all the really cool STLs that @Glitterwolfkeeps mentioning....

15 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Since I've done both I can't show partisanship.

GEM

Still waiting for the printer to ship.

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Based on that, no I would say you do not count as "angsty." If anything, I'd say you're leaning more towards qualifying for an AARP membership if you are listening to Neil Diamond and Simon & Garfunkel. (It's a joke! I grew up listening to them on car trips with the family.)

And yes, I know the answer to your acronym, You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. But, I must say, if you continue to reduce your text font that small, I'm going to stop paying attention to your comments. (That text may be in purple, but seriously, that small of font is hurting my eyes to try and read it.)

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Yes.

12 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Ugh.

I will tell you that an awful lot of the money we were planning to put into Bones V has been channeled into 3D Patreons.

On the other hand, we have something like $400 in Bones Black - so it wasn't exactly starved.

So, alternate between the two?

The Auld Grump

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I've backed them since version II ( missed Bones I but bought almost all of them later).

However since I own a 3D printer I'm using funds for patreons and get files every month.

With a printer you can print as many copies as you like on the other hand you need to support/print/clean/cure etc.

Kickstarter is buy and wait, the waiting game is the worst..and the shipping/VAT.

On the subject of storage, 3D files are stored on the hardrive instead of a cabinet/boxes/shelves full of minis.

Of course when you start printing those shelves will be filled anyway..

I would say 3D printing is a great addition to the hobby, not a replacement.

It's kinda personal.

All in all, for me personally I find myself buying files instead of minis lately, still backed Bones IV and Desert of the Dead from TT Combat though.

It just opens a new dimension.

Here is a wise man who can tell you how to choose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JB8xizXnT0

Thanks all for your responses

@ManvsMini I'm already a member of the AARP - Animals Against the Rodent Population!!

Apologies for my lack of self-control when it came to shrinking down text. At least I didn't make it white so that it'd be completely invisible, like I did here!

@Everyone else talking about 3D printing

Thanks for your input. Couple things I thought of, that maybe are smaller than I think, or maybe are larger. We'll see.

1. Lasting-ness. I.E. which will keep me supplies with minis longer.

2. Variety.

3. Fun.

@Glitterwolf That video was super helpful. I never even considered that option. Thank you so much for that.

10 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

You missed a chance to Rickroll.

Alas, what a travesty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5