Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

I think I've successfully persuaded hubby that he doesn't need to use Kaladrax for the 'someday' undead dragon encounter we're apparently likely to face in his D&D game.  Fortunately we got the Bones 4 zombie dragon, and test fitting the pre-production Kaladrax we had was a complete pain.  Phew!  Our noble heroes might survive the encounter!  ^_^

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

that's...weird lol

It was about getting around one of those restrictions about eating red meat during lent. The first Bishop of Quebec posed the question to the theologians of Sorbonne, and they replied that beavrs lived in water and were thus fish, which meant it wasn't a sin to eat them. Weird yes, but Quebec did invent poutine afterwards, so they more than made up for it.

• Like 14

Feeling sad  the After School games for this year are both wrapped - and I am pretty sure the players had a good time, even using a virtual tabletop.

I took a [/i]lot[/i] of liberties with the Jingling Mordo Circus - among other things, I dropped the level down to five, with Mordo himself being level 7. (The original was for 10th level characters - but Mordo was 20th level! ::o: )

The PCs did manage to rescue the kidnapping victims, and barely managed to take Mordo alive. (Two of his clown-assassins were not so lucky. The PCs didn't mean to kill them, but they bled out. A third got nabbed by the ettin - who handed him  over.)

Strange thing - I have not yet decided whether the setting has capital punishment or not. I am leaning towards 'Yes, but not common'.

Leaving a chance that Mordo is either rescued or escapes, for next year.

Problem is that Mordo isn't about vengeance - he's about the money. If he escapes he will not seek out the PCs, he will hit the ground running, and get the heck out of Dodge.

So, most likely having him sentenced to life in prison, and if I feel the need, at some point, the PCs can visit him there.

The Auld Grump

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

It was about getting around one of those restrictions about eating red meat during lent. The first Bishop of Quebec posed the question to the theologians of Sorbonne, and they replied that beavrs lived in water and were thus fish, which meant it wasn't a sin to eat them. Weird yes, but Quebec did invent poutine afterwards, so they more than made up for it.

Wasn't there a trend of taxidermy around that time involving adding fur to fish, to show how odd the creatures of the new world were? Perhaps those were presented as "beavers"....

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

Wasn't there a trend of taxidermy around that time involving adding fur to fish, to show how odd the creatures of the new world were? Perhaps those were presented as "beavers"....

Creative taxidermy in order to pass off as a newly discovered animal or legendary creature has been common for centuries. See: Jenny Haniver.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Actual beaver tail is considered a delicacy in some places.  I've never had the opportunity to try it.

How to Butcher a Beaver.

No, not a comedy sketch, it really is about cleaning and dressing a beaver. (For those hoping for something light hearted.)

I had an opportunity to try beaver, once upon a time - but missed my chance. Jackie was going to Sterling College at the time.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

Hm.  How do you tell if something is caused by impostor syndrome, social anxiety, or both?

Both times I've even put forth the idea of speaking in front of people, I've been nervous about doing so.  (Although, the last time, I did end up speaking in front of people and it wasn't bad...  The hard part is being comfortable enough to start talking.  And then the hard part is stopping talking...)

I wonder if I'm going to regret this.  We'll find out!

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

I am considering just stop making WIP threads and just paint them and do Show Off ones from now on

I made the same decision a little while ago, just had way too many unfinished projects floating about.

I liked making my WIP threads, but I don't paint well enough to warrant making one for each mini I paint, but I lose interest too quickly when I try to work on a group of them.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

I made the same decision a little while ago, just had way too many unfinished projects floating about.

I liked making my WIP threads, but I don't paint well enough to warrant making one for each mini I paint, but I lose interest too quickly when I try to work on a group of them.

for me, it's more they don't really serve a purpose. i don't get critique on my projects, it's a lot of effort to try and get good photos for them, but yes also i just have so blinkin' many in progress stuff

but yea think i'll just stick to show off threads

• Like 8

6 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I think I've successfully persuaded hubby that he doesn't need to use Kaladrax for the 'someday' undead dragon encounter we're apparently likely to face in his D&D game.  Fortunately we got the Bones 4 zombie dragon, and test fitting the pre-production Kaladrax we had was a complete pain.  Phew!  Our noble heroes might survive the encounter!  ^_^

Pfftt..I call that bodyshaming, just because poor Kaladrax is such a big girl, she's once again derived of the opportunity to snack on some pesky adventurers.

I demand that she's given an apology and a tribute, preferably in the form of some cleric, please let the cleric remove all armor, it gets stuck between her teeth, we wouldn't want that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

2 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

i don't get critique on my projects

This is something that concerns me as well.  I feel like, when I started posting here, I got more helpful advice but that’s no longer the case.  What I don’t know is why.  Possible reasons I’ve come up with include:

• The community has changed, with the more helpful or expert painters moving on to other venues or no longer having the time to provide feedback.
  • The unspoken rules of the community have changed and critical feedback is no longer perceived as worthwhile.
  • My ability as a painter has improved to the point where fewer people feel qualified to provide critical feedback.

I suspect it’s a combination of the first and third, and possibly something I haven’t thought of.  (For some reason, I find the third option the most frightening.)

I know I normally don’t critique because:

• I tend to review the WIP and Show Off forums during brief periods of downtime at work, so I don’t have time to view minis with a critical eye.
  • I have not spent the time to develop a critical eye for miniatures, so I may not see what improvements should be made.  (I think I’m getting better on this...)
  • I don’t feel comfortable doing so.  I feel like it’s not my place because I perceive myself to be a mediocre painter at best.

Maybe I (we?) should spend more time looking at minis to provide more (and useful) feedback.

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

This is something that concerns me as well.  I feel like, when I started posting here, I got more helpful advice but that’s no longer the case.  What I don’t know is why.  Possible reasons I’ve come up with include:

• The community has changed, with the more helpful or expert painters moving on to other venues or no longer having the time to provide feedback.
  • The unspoken rules of the community have changed and critical feedback is no longer perceived as worthwhile.
  • My ability as a painter has improved to the point where fewer people feel qualified to provide critical feedback.

I suspect it’s a combination of the first and third, and possibly something I haven’t thought of.  (For some reason, I find the third option the most frightening.)

• I tend to review the WIP and Show Off forums during brief periods of downtime at work, so I don’t have time to view minis with a critical eye.
  • I have not spent the time to develop a critical eye for miniatures, so I may not see what improvements should be made.  (I think I’m getting better on this...)
  • I don’t feel comfortable doing so.  I feel like it’s not my place because I perceive myself to be a mediocre painter at best.

Maybe I (we?) should spend more time looking at minis to provide more (and useful) feedback.

Usually when you specifically ask for critique you will get some.

Some people are reluctant to give critique when not asked for fearing to upset the painter maybe.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

I am considering just stop making WIP threads and just paint them and do Show Off ones from now on

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

That's a shame, both of you do such good WIP threads, but it you aren't enjoying it or getting anything from it then I totally understand your reasons for not continuing. I'll still look forward to your finished minis.

21 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I always feel odd critiquing minis, mostly because I don't think that I understand how painting actually works on an intrinsic level. My colour theory is spotty at best and I usually just slap on whatever colours I feel like painting on a given day. I'm happy when it works, but sometimes I look at old stuff and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Oddly, I'm actually planning on doing more WIPs in the future, mostly as a way to keep me focused on a project. I've recently stalled on Ma'al and Argent and any feedback I got for them would be really appreciated. 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 9