Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The next major investigation for the adult Fantasy Cops campaign has started.

Captain Casey has told them that he would like them to investigate - but that he will not, and cannot order him to do so - it is a cold case, going back years... but that they could consider it a test of sorts for when the new Detectives branch is created.

It began with the Deputy Medical Examiner's undead hench-orc dredging up a long forgotten memory of how he died, having seen something that he shouldn't have... ending up in a shallow grave.

Until now, he has never been all that concerned with how he died - he thinks that he is a much better person now than he was then.

But now he realizes that just because he was a bad person does not mean that the people that killed him were not worse.

Plus, it bothers the necromancer, and that bothers him.

Also - I do not care what anybody says - pineapple does belong on pizza!

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Also, there should something about threatening it with a hammer, too.

This immediately brought to mind an incident in my Navy ET school that still makes me chuckle. 

We were doing a troubleshooting test of high frequency radio receivers.  Class was broken up into pairs, with each pair troubleshooting a unit that had a different fault that was introduced by the instructors.  

When you identified the faulty module, you took your troubleshooting paperwork over to the instructors, and if you got it right, you passed. If you didn't, you were sent back to try again.   Most of the class was breezing through it, but one pair was having trouble.  They were among the first to think they found their problem, but were told they were wrong, and sent back.  Eventually they were the only ones still working on the test, and had given the wrong answer at least 6 times. The instructors and they were getting frustrated. 

Finally the instructor tells them what the problem is. They tell him, no it's not. He gets irritated, makes the fix, and proudly flips it on to show them how stupid they are. It doesn't work. He double checks his sheet that listed the problems, double checks his fix, still doesn't work. Then he goes through the troubleshooting himself, and finds that the pair got the right answer the first time - the unit had developed an actual fault, one that did not match any of the ones the instructors had done. 

The one instructor kept working on the unit while the other instructor started us through the next lesson.  All of a sudden the entire class jumps because of loud bang.  The instructor had pulled the unit drawer out and slammed it back into position. He realizes what he has done in front of us at the same time the unit starts working again. He turns to us with a red face.

"In this school, this is not a legitimate troubleshooting or repair method for you students," he says.  "But out in the fleet, things may be different."

• Haha 20

Decided to try an instant pho bowl on sale from the grocers, because, eh, why not? If it turns out good, then we can store a few for emergencies.

Oh, how wrong I was.

So terribly wrong.

Took two full swirls of Siracha around the top to make it edible.

Lesson learned. Pay an extra $3 and the time to get the real thing.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

Heyo - are the West Coasters here doing okay?

I'm locking myself in my box in Vancouver and not doing my usual Saturday night bike ride due to the smoke. My mom is sandwiched between two fires in Oregon (not yet in an evacuation warning area, but the air is crazy thick for her). Even locked inside, without a well sealed apartment, I'm feeling the smoke on my lungs. My air purifier can only do so much.

• Sad 20

I have friends in Portland,  we camped with last summer (and stayed in their house after a weather disaster) 

They posted  pictures of an orange sky - and mentioned being advised to stay inside, and wear masks indoors to prevent lung damage. 

But they are not in direct fire danger. 

Meanwhile Denver finally had good air quality.  So I did a short bike ride, but pushed hard on the speed. 

• Like 11

Southern part of California is under an inversion layer so all the smoke is getting trapped like steam under a pot lid.

It's 20 degrees+ cooler than it has been, but I'm running the fan full time to filter out as much of the smoke as possible.

The power supply on my computer is telling me it's about to fail.  Not surprised with all the power shocks it's been subjected to lately.  It's knocked my computer off line 3 times today. ::(:

GEM

• Sad 14

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Watch for Mechmann on there, he's an old friend and KNOWS Battletech...

No idea who that is, but I have a tendency to shoot those that get in front of my guns... My Mad Dog is a fun ride... 

5 hours ago, Keianna said:

They do that for ServSafe tests too. Those are considerably easier to pass, though. Only 1 day of studying and I get upset if I don't get 100%. I think like 80 is passing. 

I was rather upset I only got 80% on one portion of our anti-phishing training, mainly because the way they wrote that particular email had soooo many red flags by modern standards... A courier company doesn't send you an email, with "dear sir/madam" as the start (it's your name, because you have an account, or its been copied from the label), it doesn't just say "there's been an update to your tracking, click this link"... By that point I considered it phishing just because yeah, every single courier company (well, minus Intelcom and Amazon) will give you the tracking number PLUS the most recent activity, since those emails are because you opted into them... 

But that training was for stuff that was barely correct five years ago... Yet was being given now.

If you're in IT, only click this if you want to read something horrifying... 

Despite the regular emails about it, workshops, and mandatory training... 37-43% of people in our company will still click a link in an email without verifying it. About half of those are people who have accounts that have access to managerial or higher level permissions...

I like getting 100% on tests as well. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

40 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

No idea who that is, but I have a tendency to shoot those that get in front of my guns... My Mad Dog is a fun ride... 

I was rather upset I only got 80% on one portion of our anti-phishing training, mainly because the way they wrote that particular email had soooo many red flags by modern standards... A courier company doesn't send you an email, with "dear sir/madam" as the start (it's your name, because you have an account, or its been copied from the label), it doesn't just say "there's been an update to your tracking, click this link"... By that point I considered it phishing just because yeah, every single courier company (well, minus Intelcom and Amazon) will give you the tracking number PLUS the most recent activity, since those emails are because you opted into them... 

But that training was for stuff that was barely correct five years ago... Yet was being given now.

If you're in IT, only click this if you want to read something horrifying... 

Hide contents

Despite the regular emails about it, workshops, and mandatory training... 37-43% of people in our company will still click a link in an email without verifying it. About half of those are people who have accounts that have access to managerial or higher level permissions...

I like getting 100% on tests as well. 

I'll let Megan tell you the story of when the bookstore she worked at got a new system.... (USER:USER and PASSWORD:CHANGEME hard coded in... on the Admin level... on PoS software. (PoS in more ways than one.))

The Auld Grump

• Sad 9

So, I saw people trying to figure out if they were Gen X or Gen Y/Millennial. Here's a quick test from a Gen Xer I knew:

Do you remember the fall of the Berlin Wall? If so, did you know what it meant?

If yes to both questions, you're Gen X. If yes and then no, you're an early Millennial. To see if you're a Millennial, here's the questions:

Do you remember 9/11? Did you know what it meant?

Again, if you answer yes to both, you're a Millennial.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

So, I saw people trying to figure out if they were Gen X or Gen Y/Millennial. Here's a quick test from a Gen Xer I knew:

Do you remember the fall of the Berlin Wall? If so, did you know what it meant?

If yes to both questions, you're Gen X. If yes and then no, you're an early Millennial. To see if you're a Millennial, here's the questions:

Do you remember 9/11? Did you know what it meant?

Again, if you answer yes to both, you're a Millennial.

Again, this seems incomplete.

More questions needed possibly.  <_<

Did you see Challenger and Columbia perish?

Did you watch and hear Neil Armstrong live?

Did a teacher make you write on a chalk board with chalk?

Could you recognize the smell of chalk dust?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TGP said:

Again, this seems incomplete.

More questions needed possibly.  <_<

Did you see Challenger and Columbia perish?

Did you watch and hear Neil Armstrong live?

Did a teacher make you write on a chalk board with chalk?

Could you recognize the smell of chalk dust?

I think you missed the "quick test" part of my statement... :upside:

• Like 6