Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I can answer all 4 questions. That just means I'm old.  I remember Watergate. My husband remembers the moon landing. 

If you did your homework on a typewriter while listening to cassette tapes, you are probably GenX. 

If you did homework with a computer keyboard while listening to CDs, you are probably Gen Y/Millennial.

I did my homework on a computer keyboard while listening to cassette tapes, so that probably just makes me confused. :lol: Actually, it's probably because my parents were very early Gen-x that I grew up with a lot of that influence. 

As a kid, I had a Walkman I would drag all over the house while doing chores. My mom got tired of me stretching out my pockets from shoving it in them that she finally got me a cheap little purse to carry it in. We also had a rotary phone, as well as both a manual and an electric typewriter, but all 3 things were used for play rather than for actual use. I did learn how to use them though, and had fun typing up rambling nonsense stories just to feel/watch the keys clicking (I also discovered what happens when you press a lot of buttons all at once, lol, as well as how to then unjam it). I have fond memories of dial up, since I was mostly too young to use it at the time so I don't think I ever had to deal with its peculiarities. I was just fascinated by the amazing sounds it made, and when I asked my dad about it, he explained it was our computer talking to other computers through the phone jack. Which of course fascinated me more, so I would listen and try to understand what they were "talking" about when they were saying "hello" to each other during that initial handshake. 

I got my first CD when I was in Junior High (won it from a call-in radio contest, actually. It was the soundtrack for Disney's animated Tarzan movie). That's also the earliest I can remember using a computer to actually do homework on, rather than just play educational games on like in 4th and 5th grade. I also remember my 5th grade teacher using laser discs in class to show science - related pictures on the classroom TV. 

Not sure where I'm going with all of this, just having fun reminiscing. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I was born late '82. Some charts call me an early millennial, others lump me into gen x, and still others throw up their hands and give up on me. I'm a generational cusp but definitely feel more like a millennial than anything prior.

My favorite label for our age group (I was born early-mid 1980) is “the Oregon Trail generation”.

I don’t know if there’s anything specific to our age group that suggests better troubleshooting capability or understanding of computers.  (I feel like, of the people I have encountered, more people in our age group are capable of troubleshooting - but I’m certain there’s a large amount of selection bias here.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

When RPG references make it into Real Life:

At some point - actually, fairly recently, because we were using Pathfinder - we were playing through the Kingmaker campaign. As most of you might know, it's a sandbox-lite kingdom-building exercise that runs you into all kinds of wacky shenanigans, including some minor fey. Well, we did a powerful dryad a favor (there were trees involved), and at some point after that, my character got thrown off a cliff. She didn't survive the landing (sorceress, but not high enough level for flight). She wasn't the only one, admittedly, the trolls we were arguing with were fond of that tactic.

So, she gets reincarnated, because, you know, favors. She wakes up to the whole party going WTF?! and the dryad going, '... that wasn't supposed to happen', stands up, takes three steps and promptly falls on her elegant silver snoot. Fey-tinged Adult Silver Dragon. Oops.

At some point later, after re-learning how to walk (never go from being bipedal to quadruped, or vice versa, it'll screw you up for months), and fight and pretend to be human, we got into a fight with something undead. It was nasty enough that a lot of whacking, smacking and spell-mazing just Was Not Working. So, dragon-form activate, cue chomp.

" ... Bleahyech! You guys OWE ME A KEG!" It became something of a running joke through the rest of the campaign.

And ever since, one or the other of Andi and I has said, when something has Not Gone Well, and we've had to go out of our way to sort it, we have said, 'Somebody owes me a keg!'.

It's been kind of a keg week. :/

• Like 19

21 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I was born late '82. Some charts call me an early millennial, others lump me into gen x, and still others throw up their hands and give up on me. I'm a generational cusp but definitely feel more like a millennial than anything prior.

Bah, my system is simpler.

People born before the original Star Wars trilogy (Baby boomers and Gen X), meaning they experienced it on the big screen before it was available on home video. And the "Get off my lawn" generation, who never full appreciated the magic.

Closely related, see the Ewok Line from "How I met your Mother".

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

My favorite label for our age group (I was born early-mid 1980) is “the Oregon Trail generation”.

I don’t know if there’s anything specific to our age group that suggests better troubleshooting capability or understanding of computers.  (I feel like, of the people I have encountered, more people in our age group are capable of troubleshooting - but I’m certain there’s a large amount of selection bias here.)

You have died of dysentery ::P:

For me, I had to learn computers by fixing them myself. Because nobody else would. Software ate your file, go get it yourself. Hardware needs replacing, fix it yourself. The how-to books were hard to find, insulting, unhelpful, and expensive. So if you had tech at home you self-taught because of necessity.

My dad worked with computers and yet the first time I had to replace bad hardware he spent the whole time scowling at me from the doorway, telling me I was going to fail and he would have paid for a professional but not now that I'd messed it up. The fix went fine btw and he never mentioned it again. Never insisted on a professional again either. Now my brother and I both build our own machines and my gen x-like sister (who didn't learn the way we did) is Apple-only because it's easy.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I was born mid-1981, and lemme tell you, I no longer know whether to laugh or cry at some of the stuff I have seen/worked with/experienced that kids seem to have trouble with.

I have worked with actually-floppy disks! Feeding the machine disk after disk to install an operating system! Disk. After. Disk!

These days you just tell the machine to pull it from someplace, and pow! you're ready to go.

Wild, I tell you. Just WILD.

Nevermind being able to cart a computer that can make phone calls and take pictures around in your hand. That's CRAZY.

... I don't usually feel old until I remember working with a monstrous computer when I was very young. Or logging into a BBS to do a turn on a game (screeching modems!). Or noodling around in X-Tree and MS-DOS, trying to figure out how to get to a game I wanted to play. Then I look at my hand-held computer/phone/camera and just sorta boggle. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Here I was walking Brutus in a little piece of the woods nearby.

Suddenly there was an encounter with some myconids!

We were lucky to get out of there without any harm.

@malefactus could you keep your shrooms in check  please? They're popping up everywhere!

IMG-20200824-WA0000.jpg

this is called chicken of the woods.  It is probably eddible and tastes like chicken.

I painted a mushrroom man in those colors. 

In the two campaigns it has a appeared, no one has eaten him, im kinda dissapointed 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

Do you remember the fall of the Berlin Wall? If so, did you know what it meant?

Yeah, it meant David Hasselhoff singing at the Brandenburg Gate in a b*tchin' jacket that lit up!

Why has no one mentioned that? That's high-tech for the end of the 80s.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

That's my favorite descriptor too. Sounds better than Xennial.

Line for the grocery store keeps being longer than usual today. But I need to go... Ugh. Guess I'll bring a book after I finish lunch.

• Like 7

On 9/11/2020 at 11:29 PM, MusicalFeline said:

I have received the role of...

SCHROEDER!!!!!

I had to do the peanut butter monologue for an acting class back in college. I can still remember it all.

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Suddenly there was an encounter with some myconids!

I found some giant round mushrooms growing in my front yard near the curb a couple days ago - they were each larger than my fist.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

Edit

Forgot to insert Pepperidge farm meme

I am falling down on the job Pocket. I sorry. 

D795EE93-668C-4751-B592-DF74BE380579.thumb.jpeg.8ad3d02016f6c1db2a7bff3b1e3bd702.jpegB9EE8653-ED57-4E44-827F-A32B35A5569D.thumb.jpeg.2d50c7493fd5f40dbc6eae398331c147.jpeg

Sometimes What I am really photographing is the tree or other things seen as silhouettes, but blue skies get captured anyhow. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am bummed.

Just was able to start personal training sessions again, because my trainer is willing to stay outside and do sessions on a playground with me instead of indoors. But the smoke is so bad that that's hazardous, especially since I have to bike up a big hill to get there. Still not going into an indoor gym though. And I feel bad for my trainer, since he's lost income due to less people training in the first place.

I can exercise in rain, but not smoke :(

• Sad 14