Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Then I look at my hand-held computer/phone/camera and just sorta boggle. 

This. :lol: We didn't get smartphones until 2015 (still rocking that same Samsung Galaxy S6 :B):), and the first time it was handed to me, I stood there holding it in two hands kind of terrified of this very expensive and complicated piece of glass. :lol:

Now I've got a very sturdy case for it, am no longer terrified of it, but I still do occasionally boggle at it. Because really, it's an absolutely incredible piece of technological wonder that I wish more of the younger folks (oh gosh the "kids these days" has begun) appreciated. Because I can see how far this thing is from the "OS on floppy disk" days, it's kind of unreal. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

The MX-9102 Computer Processor Drawer of the AN/WLR-8 Countermeasures Receiving Set would occasionally throw faults due to vibration unseating the cards over time.  The tech manual took  the whole long troubleshooting method to determine which card was the culprit and had you reseat/replace the card.  Actual practice in the fleet was to rack out the drawer, open the top and tap all of the cards with a rubber mallet (as the cards were really tight to seat by hand).  30 second fix vs 1-3 hour fix.

We had a similar situation with the radar displays on Phantoms.  The cage for all the display processing cards was located in the rear seat and the more astute back seaters would ask questions when a reported problem would have the fix reported as "reseated XXXX cards".  Since the cage was easily accessible, even in the cramped back seat, a lot of the cages had "body damage" to the covers [Addendum: it was a stamped aluminum sheet and not very thick] from repeatedly being whacked on by adrenaline fueled operators desperate for an "in air fix" on malfunctioning equipment.  A few of them went so far as to carry small rubber mallets in a calf sleeve on their flight suits.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

I have to say, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to fall.  Rain would be nice.  But I'm grateful that at least it hasn't been both hot and smoky, that was a possibility but apparently the smoke is bad enough that it's keeping the sun from warming us up.  

My sympathies, @redambrosia, having pneumonia and heat and smoke really does sound like you've got the worst possible scenario.  :down:  

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Line for the grocery store keeps being longer than usual today. But I need to go... Ugh. Guess I'll bring a book after I finish lunch.

I hadn't considered the hassle, due to your being in NYC, of having to stand in line to get your groceries. The times I visited there (pre-COVID) and shopped for groceries, I considered it to be one layer of hell. It has to be torture for you now.

If it will make you (or anyone in your situation, or on the west coast) smile or a laugh, I am pretty sure everyone who saw me in the parking lot of Walmart this morning thought I was having a breakdown of some sort or someone off their meds. I was about finished putting the week's groceries into the car (and I park a good distance from other cars) when a yellow jacket decided to hang out around me and the open car door. It resulted in me routinely jerking my head and body in random directions to avoid it, while trying to get the last few bags into the car. I looked like a guy doing the worst attempt of the Robot dance.

The icing on the cake for that particular story was that the yellow jacket, with the last two bags left to load, decided to take an interest down near my knee and I was wearing shorts. Fear of having it fly up them and lead to further issues led me to grab the bags, high-step/run around to the other side of the car, throw the bags in, run around again shutting doors and shoving the cart out of the way, and leaping into the driver's seat. A lot of cars passed by during those last moments... :unsure:

And now that I think about, the parking security cameras probably saw it to... all except for the dang yellow jacket. Curses.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

Last night I won an argument with Grump with a warped extempore rendition of Fight Song.

This my Fight Face!

You know I'm Right Face!

Stand in the Light Face!

I won, but by the time I was done I'd forgotten what were fighting about. ^_^

Still, it was GLORIOUS! ::D:

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

I can answer all 4 questions. That just means I'm old.  I remember Watergate. My husband remembers the moon landing. 

If you did your homework on a typewriter while listening to cassette tapes, you are probably GenX. 

If you did homework with a computer keyboard while listening to CDs, you are probably Gen Y/Millennial.

The other day I was wondering why Grump's music was playing so loud when he wasn't home.

It wasn't Grump, it was our 90 year old neighbors! ::P:

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

23 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm, my birthday cake seems to be a largish rectangular object covered in colored paper....

The Auld Grump

21 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

If it doesn't have blue or green frosting, then it's not a real birthday cake. It's only cake.

It DOES have Blue!

And Green!

And Red!

And Black!

And Gray!

And White!

But they didn't have Yellow!

Not a cake, and that box may have weighed thirty pounds. ::): My BDay present for him goes with our Anniversary Present!

We did ORDER the cake, just waiting for the lettering.

Hoping the "cake" BD chose doesn't melt before Grump can blow out ALL the candles! It takes three boxes to have enough candles! ::D:

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Haha 9

40 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I hadn't considered the hassle, due to your being in NYC, of having to stand in line to get your groceries. The times I visited there (pre-COVID) and shopped for groceries, I considered it to be one layer of hell. It has to be torture for you now.

If it will make you (or anyone in your situation, or on the west coast) smile or a laugh, I am pretty sure everyone who saw me in the parking lot of Walmart this morning thought I was having a breakdown of some sort or someone off their meds. I was about finished putting the week's groceries into the car (and I park a good distance from other cars) when a yellow jacket decided to hang out around me and the open car door. It resulted in me routinely jerking my head and body in random directions to avoid it, while trying to get the last few bags into the car. I looked like a guy doing the worst attempt of the Robot dance.

The icing on the cake for that particular story was that the yellow jacket, with the last two bags left to load, decided to take an interest down near my knee and I was wearing shorts. Fear of having it fly up them and lead to further issues led me to grab the bags, high-step/run around to the other side of the car, throw the bags in, run around again shutting doors and shoving the cart out of the way, and leaping into the driver's seat. A lot of cars passed by during those last moments... :unsure:

And now that I think about, the parking security cameras probably saw it to... all except for the dang yellow jacket. Curses.

Honestly, the whole standing in line means that the store has fewer people in it. It's just... usually the line is a lot shorter. Today, it's 2-3 times longer than it usually is on Sundays. It was fine though. The book is good, and the weather is beautiful.

Now we're making dinner, then on to D&D!!

• Like 9

Just wrapped the Big River box the present came in, right there at the UPS pick up point.

Mandalorian Present Paper! ::D:

And encountered a Quintessential Karen.

Parked in the bus stop, clearly LABELED Bus Stop. With yellow zebra stripes on either end labed NO PARKING.

And she thought the bus driver was rude for beeping his horn because he COULDN'T MOVE HIS BUS with her in the way. WTAF Lady?!!!

• Sad 9

15 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

So, I saw people trying to figure out if they were Gen X or Gen Y/Millennial. Here's a quick test from a Gen Xer I knew:

Do you remember the fall of the Berlin Wall? If so, did you know what it meant?

If yes to both questions, you're Gen X. If yes and then no, you're an early Millennial. To see if you're a Millennial, here's the questions:

Do you remember 9/11? Did you know what it meant?

Again, if you answer yes to both, you're a Millennial.

Yes and sort of, it meant my older relatives would finally stop elfing talking about us being a "target" because Los Angeles. It always struck me as weird that it made them feel so important. Still weirded out by that.

Yes and yes and lol I learned entirely different lessons than the ones those same older relatives wanted me to learn. Almost got disowned for it, too. There's a reason why there's a continent between us.

So probably a very early millennial.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Honestly, the whole standing in line means that the store has fewer people in it. It's just... usually the line is a lot shorter. Today, it's 2-3 times longer than it usually is on Sundays. It was fine though. The book is good, and the weather is beautiful.

Now we're making dinner, then on to D&D!!

Still a few places around here with lines now and then.  Not like before. 

I snapped a few pics of the sky, for those who want to see it. It was a beautiful day.  Our sunsets are red this summer, because we've been getting a fair bit of the smoke even this far out, it's just a faint haze most of the time. 

IMG_20200913_154008004_HDR.jpg.c03100cdad3bfe61455e8cf6f6641661.jpg

IMG_20200913_153824897.jpg.0d37e57436fc8c6be8fbcc84a04159d5.jpg

Helpful kitten is helping:

IMG_20200913_154040927.jpg.892e97cd4cf076631669e806293124a2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, ShadowRaven said:

people are dumb. I don't like people

Dogs are dumb too. 
But you’ll never catch them pretending to be otherwise. People on the other hand...?

Reason #12 dogs are better than people. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2