Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 minute ago, CaptainPete said:

I haven't caught up yet, but I thought I might pass on some information about the situation here:

The EPA has an Air Quality Index that ranges between 0 and 500. Anything above 50 should be noted.

When I left work today, the AQI was ranging from 232 to 434, depending on your location in the city.

Eugene had an AQI of over 700 this weekend.

We're dying here.

At the levels we're dealing with, they don't have reliable data on what happens to your body. It sounds like ash particles are entering our bloodstream, as your parts can't filter this stuff out at the levels we're seeing, which means we're going to starting having lung damage, strokes, and heart attacks.

I have to work outside and my company doesn't care enough to send even an email to everyone about what to do. And they haven't bothered to even try to get N95 masks for us. When the pandemic hit, you know what they bought us (after someone told the state that they were leaving us flapping in the breeze)? Bandanas. Thin, crappy bandanas. That's it. And the one guy who was trying to organize a union is now getting promoted into management, so we're probably all going to get fired away.

I just... I can't even this whole year.

More steps to our cyberpunk future. Everyone wearing respirators. I have a mask with a carbon filter on its way, and a friend is going to 3D print something for Sephy that we can put carbon filters in (since most masks are made for 3 and up).

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

More steps to our cyberpunk future. Everyone wearing respirators. I have a mask with a carbon filter on its way, and a friend is going to 3D print something for Sephy that we can put carbon filters in (since most masks are made for 3 and up).

Somehow that puts me in mind of the WWII Mickey Mouse children’s gask masks, although your problem is fitting it, after which you can worry about getting her to keep it on.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/behold-the-mickey-mouse-gas-mask-from-world-war-ii-5888018

• Like 10

don't know what to do about the smoke, but as far as masks for covid go there's a "jesse" mask pattern that me and a bunch of folks at work have been using that works pretty well and can be assembled by people with only very basic sewing experience. 

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I want to nominate a stadium full of cardboard people watching baseball under an orange sky for best picture. 

also saw this at costco today.  apparently this is where we are. 

124 meals, 25 year shelf life.  In a plastic bucket.  just add potable water, and heat.

september 2020.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

also saw this at costco today.  apparently this is where we are. 

124 meals, 25 year shelf life.

Costco has carried those or similar off and on for years. 

They seem to be more popular during election years, though. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well that was fun.

I got some sort of scareware on the laptop with a popup that wouldn't go away.

So I had to close that one in Task Manager and then reset the laptop, reinstalled Win10 etc.

Now in the process of reinstalling some programs.

( I did keep my files and photos)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 12

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would really like to feel better. I took all my antibiotics like a good girl, I’ve been taking my mucinex regularly, drink an absurd amount of fluids... but right now I feel worse. Like, seriously, can I feel better now???

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I can sympathize.  I recently had a sinus infection and things got better while on the antibiotics but the day after I finished the course, the symptoms came right back.  I had to take a second course to finish the thing off.  

Hope you feel better soon!

So very much this.  I got antibiotic resistant pneumonia when my oldest was just turning 1.  Probably because the doctors back then were on a crusade to reduce antibiotic use and didn't give me any soon enough.  These days I always push for a 14 day course because it's either that or take the stronger antibiotics when the first course doesn't work.  (My immunologist tortures me with a 21 day course when I get a sinus infection, which sucks.)

If it's just your sinuses, you can help things along by adding a small amount of mupirocin ointment to one of those squeeze bottles of saline rinse.  It can help flush out those sinus infections that are just starting or stubbornly refusing to resolve.  But again, pneumonia can be fatal and can cause permanent lung damage, so if the antibiotics are done and you're not getting better then you should ideally see a doctor again.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

53 minutes ago, CaptainPete said:

I haven't caught up yet, but I thought I might pass on some information about the situation here:

The EPA has an Air Quality Index that ranges between 0 and 500. Anything above 50 should be noted.

When I left work today, the AQI was ranging from 232 to 434, depending on your location in the city.

Eugene had an AQI of over 700 this weekend.

We're dying here.

At the levels we're dealing with, they don't have reliable data on what happens to your body. It sounds like ash particles are entering our bloodstream, as your parts can't filter this stuff out at the levels we're seeing, which means we're going to starting having lung damage, strokes, and heart attacks.

I have to work outside and my company doesn't care enough to send even an email to everyone about what to do. And they haven't bothered to even try to get N95 masks for us. When the pandemic hit, you know what they bought us (after someone told the state that they were leaving us flapping in the breeze)? Bandanas. Thin, crappy bandanas. That's it. And the one guy who was trying to organize a union is now getting promoted into management, so we're probably all going to get fired away.

I just... I can't even this whole year.

when AIQ goes over 100 I'm good for about 10 min outside before symptoms set in.  

Late August had the worst air in Denver, and it seems to bee improving here. But I now have a AQ app on my phone, and check it before venturing out. 

• Like 10

I'm currently working on replacing the hard drive in my camera system.  I'm pretty sure this series of events happened:

Engineer: I'm going to design a really clever hard drive mount that uses a key hole system so you don't have to unscrew the screws all the way out to remove the hard drive bracket. 

Purchasing:  Those longer screws the engineer specified for the hard drive mount cost a quarter penny more than these shorter screws.  Tell production to use the shorter screws, we'll save a penny per unit. 

Me: Why the broccoli did they design this clever hard drive mount if they weren't going to use long enough screws to make it work!

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

We're in the mauve range, according to the map, and I've been treating that as 'outside? Mask mandatory', and not the cute little fabric masks we have, no. No, that's the full N95 masks I got for particulate filtering. Those are NOT comfortable. They work (and apparently, I can sleep in one, I don't know what that says about me, but I'm already used to sleeping in a mask because sleep apnea), but they aren't comfy to wear.

If we get to a point where I have to wear the monster I bought for airbrushing, I ... eheh. That's.. worst than usual, and I'm adding goggles to the outfit. My mucus membranes don't need whatever the hell that is.

We've been promised rain. I'm looking forward to rain. Hopefully, a good, solid downpour for an hour or so before I have to go outside...

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Dogs are dumb too. 
But you’ll never catch them pretending to be otherwise. People on the other hand...?

Reason #12 dogs are better than people. 

Don't lump my canine companions in with the masses. They are highly intelligent, and have offered valuable insight:

dog-poop.jpg.59bdcb59f2e35ff062c62eb80d6f3032.jpg

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Haha 14

45 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

So very much this.  I got antibiotic resistant pneumonia when my oldest was just turning 1.  Probably because the doctors back then were on a crusade to reduce antibiotic use and didn't give me any soon enough.  These days I always push for a 14 day course because it's either that or take the stronger antibiotics when the first course doesn't work.  (My immunologist tortures me with a 21 day course when I get a sinus infection, which sucks.)

If it's just your sinuses, you can help things along by adding a small amount of mupirocin ointment to one of those squeeze bottles of saline rinse.  It can help flush out those sinus infections that are just starting or stubbornly refusing to resolve.  But again, pneumonia can be fatal and can cause permanent lung damage, so if the antibiotics are done and you're not getting better then you should ideally see a doctor again.  

This sounds like something I need to consider.  my sinuses are like little nurseries for bacteria these days, at least that's what it feels like. Ho do you get it to dissolve into the saline solution?  all the ointments I have are oil based, not water based and I don't know how I feel about a slug of petroleum jelly getting lodged in my sinuses.

16 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

We're in the mauve range, according to the map, and I've been treating that as 'outside? Mask mandatory', and not the cute little fabric masks we have, no. No, that's the full N95 masks I got for particulate filtering. Those are NOT comfortable. They work (and apparently, I can sleep in one, I don't know what that says about me, but I'm already used to sleeping in a mask because sleep apnea), but they aren't comfy to wear.

If we get to a point where I have to wear the monster I bought for airbrushing, I ... eheh. That's.. worst than usual, and I'm adding goggles to the outfit. My mucus membranes don't need whatever the hell that is.

We've been promised rain. I'm looking forward to rain. Hopefully, a good, solid downpour for an hour or so before I have to go outside...

I am always very thankful that my respiratory system is highly resistant to the effects of particles and smoke, and yes that includes the occasional time I have accidently inhaled while evaluating a cigar.  I was out in Oregon during the last fires and it was no fun but it didn't cause any real irritation.  I hope you all get rain and some relief soon!

• Like 8

17 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Sneaking into my wife's glass shop again tonight to work on her birthday present.

And here is a view of her work progress most of her clients never get to see:

16000500839262867169417658266070.thumb.jpg.2f8f46b6f8187adb0482a3cbec8d2113.jpg

Eeeee it's gonna be so PRETTY!! :wub:

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I was going to post about being careful going out in it if it does rain, but decided to fact-check first. Apparently, rain during/after wildfires actually does not create acid or otherwise harmful rain. I learned a thing! 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 11

Yah, that seems to be a common misconception. I'm not too concerned. ^^;

Also, yay! New monitor! I'm back to my regular two-monitor screen! Woo! The new one is very minimally framed; going to take a bit to get used to it.

• Like 10

Miniature Monday #034 started at 3:13 PM after working on some tech issues.  Josh is painting 77275 Kelpies.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

ETA: Due to continuing bad connectivity, the stream was stopped early, but Justin said the recording will be on Twitch ASAP.

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 3