Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

9 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Eeeee it's gonna be so PRETTY!! :wub:

I was going to post about being careful going out in it if it does rain, but decided to fact-check first. Apparently, rain during/after wildfires actually does not create acid or otherwise harmful rain. I learned a thing! 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

If you remember how the pioneers made soap, they would pour water through ash to create a base [opposite of acid] as an ingredient for homemade soap.

Acid rain happens when it rains through air with the wrong kind of smog, mostly nitric oxides.

GEM

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I was going to post about being careful going out in it if it does rain, but decided to fact-check first. Apparently, rain during/after wildfires actually does not create acid or otherwise harmful rain. I learned a thing! 

Nope, you just end up with black crap all over everything!

• Like 11

It would be nice to get a shower or two or three.....here. It'd help clear the air out. It's funny when we went over to Eugene a couple years ago for the football game there was smoke in the air but it didn't bother me as bad as it did on Saturday & I'm feeling a bit of it today.

I'll just be happy when the fire season is over & done.

• Like 9

We have bad air and limited visibility today.

Smoke is thick enough to keep temperatures down but the sunlight is a creepy orange, almost like an eclipse.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Costco has carried those or similar off and on for years. 

They seem to be more popular during election years, though. 

They've carried such things for ten years or so here, although typically they've kept them mainly restricted to online ordering only as demand for them fluctuates... 

Kind of surprised that 72 hour emergency kits died off in the country, or seem to have, or the advertising for such... 

• Like 7

I really hope you folks over on the west coast get some relief from this nightmare soon. I'd send you guys a metric butt ton of rain if I could.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

For the second time in a month, I’ve been cursed at under a stranger’s breath.

First time I didn’t buy a guy anything to eat or drink at a gas station while filling up when he asked. “Sorry, can’t help you today”.  Had to walk in to get a receipt and heard MF as I passed him as he was waiting for the other guy who agreed to get him a drink. Maybe he was talking to the suitcase he was struggling with. Maybe it was a directed insult.

Then today was a home improvement salesman who I told I wasn’t interested twice but still insisted I make an appointment for a free estimate when I was available. So told him, “sorry, but I’m really not interested“ and closed the door. Windows are open, so “GD don't just close the door” came through pretty clearly.

I don’t think I’m being a jerk in all this.

Maybe carrying a rusty and bloody sword might help. But, I don’t think I can do the whole “crazed lunatic so let’s be polite when told no” look. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If you remember how the pioneers made soap,

I know we make a lot of old people jokes in here, but... I don't think any of us are THAT old... :poke:

• Haha 13

11 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I know we make a lot of old people jokes in here, but... I don't think any of us are THAT old... :poke:

Didn't they teach you how the pioneers made soap in grade school?  Was a standard part of the US History curriculum in like the fifth grade when I grew up. 

We made soap.  It wasn't great soap but it would get you clean.

Bacon.  -  It's what's needed to make soap.  At least the Bacon Fat.

GEM

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Maybe carrying a rusty and bloody sword might help. But, I don’t think I can do the whole “crazed lunatic so let’s be polite when told no” look. 

It just takes a little practice.:devil:

Seriously though, sorry to hear it.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 10

19 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

For the second time in a month, I’ve been cursed at under a stranger’s breath.

First time I didn’t buy a guy anything to eat or drink at a gas station while filling up when he asked. “Sorry, can’t help you today”.  Had to walk in to get a receipt and heard MF as I passed him as he was waiting for the other guy who agreed to get him a drink. Maybe he was talking to the suitcase he was struggling with. Maybe it was a directed insult.

Then today was a home improvement salesman who I told I wasn’t interested twice but still insisted I make an appointment for a free estimate when I was available. So told him, “sorry, but I’m really not interested“ and closed the door. Windows are open, so “GD don't just close the door” came through pretty clearly.

I don’t think I’m being a jerk in all this.

You are observing the external manifestation of people who are stressed right to the edge of their coping ability.

Another month of this insanity and people are going to start snapping in numbers large enough to be notable and newsworthy.

Addendum: I just learned that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has been essentially cancelled.  According to the press release it has been "reimaged" so the entire event will take place in Herald Square.:down:

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Didn't they teach you how the pioneers made soap in grade school?  Was a standard part of the US History curriculum in like the fifth grade when I grew up. 

GEM

Everything I know about soap making I learned from Fight Club.....

• Haha 9
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

I learned how soap was made from Fight Club. I also learned how bombs were made from that movie too :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, redambrosia said:

I learned how soap was made from Fight Club. I also learned how bombs were made from that movie too :rolleyes:

There are similarities for the production processes.

GEM

>Hides copy of The Anarchists Cookbook<

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

Since it's slightly on topic, I'll say this:

"Any GM/DM worth their salt has an internet browsing/search history that could be made to look very suspicious by law enforcement."

Especially if they hang out here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 13