Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

5 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

I want to nominate a stadium full of cardboard people watching baseball under an orange sky for best picture. 

also saw this at costco today.  apparently this is where we are. 

124 meals, 25 year shelf life.  In a plastic bucket.  just add potable water, and heat.

september 2020.jpg

4 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Costco has carried those or similar off and on for years. 

They seem to be more popular during election years, though. 

So I went to the Readywise website to do a price comparison... 
:blink:

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Citrine said:

Got some nice news from work today, I was selected as Engineer of the Month of July for my department for doing a good job transitioning in from another department with my whole Agile team. (Yeah, they are a bit behind, they also honored June and August in the department meeting). Best part, it comes with $200 to spend on minis!

This summer has been rough at work, so it is nice to be noticed. 

Congratulations! :bday:

GEM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OK, this is weird. 

I'm remotely connected into a site in Utah. i'm having intermittent connection problems, so I fire up Pingplotter to monitor if it's my side or theirs. While i'm monitoring it, I notice this:
image.png.fec0faaeecfa7aa23c54180651d7451d.png

This is the middle connection hops between my location outside of Des Moines, and the site's outside of SLC. 

The connection is going from Des Moines, to St Louis, then to Washington DC and then on to SLC. 

So I fire up ping plotter to check another couple customers in the SLC area.   Their connections don't have that DC hop.

• Like 1
  • Confused 10

36 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Didn't they teach you how the pioneers made soap in grade school?  Was a standard part of the US History curriculum in like the fifth grade when I grew up. 

We made soap.  It wasn't great soap but it would get you clean.

Bacon.  -  It's what's needed to make soap.  At least the Bacon Fat.

GEM

Nope, it was probably a field trip day that I skipped, or if it was fifth grade level my teacher was going through a nasty divorce and skimped on it.

I made soap in a lab, only the experiment didn't allow for fully processing it, so it was too basic to use... and they didn't give it back to us. Probably because the university didn't want a lawsuit from a D+ student using their D+ level "soap" and getting a chemical burn.

• Like 8

On 9/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, ShadowRaven said:

people are dumb. I don't like people

I like people sometimes. The nice people I like most of the time. The dumb ones I like when they're on fire.

21 hours ago, ShadowRaven said:

yeah. Not like some of us whose first exposure to computers included monochrome monitors, and actually floppy disks, or even reel to reel tapes. Kids these days haven't really seen the leaps and bounds technology took to get to where it is now. 

I can still vaguely remember when my family got a color tv for the first time - we had a really big tv in one of those desk-sized wooden cabinets, but until I was about five, it was still B&W... Cable didn't come until I was an early teenager.

First time I used a computer was sixth grade - there was one in each classroom, and we each got half an hour on it, going alphabetically. My last name begins with T, so it was the end of the year by the time I got my turn. I wrote a program that filled the entire screen with "<My name> is God." over and over. It took almost my entire half hour to come up with it and type it out. And just as I was about to run it, one of the other kids ran up and mashed all the keys on the keyboard, screwing it up. The female teacher had to yell for the male teacher next door to come pull me off the kid.

The first "computer" we actually owned at home was the Colecovision Adam. Which, honestly, was a word processor that played videogames on cassette and you could also purchase a separate floppy disk drive to plug into it. That was during high school. I wasin college when my parents bought my brother an Amiga.

19 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Left out one of the biggies - where were you when Kennedy was shot?

And 'Do you remember Ted Kennedy at Chappaquiddick?' I was there, at the time, on Martha's Vineyard. We saw the bridge the next day..

The Auld Grump lose.

I wasn't born until '72...  But my parents had a framed copy on one of JFK's famous speeches on the bookshelf, so it was one of the first things I ever read that wasn't a kids' book.

17 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

It's also a birthday cake if it has dinosaur sprinkles.

Erm, yeah... You can keep your ground up dinosaur bits off my cake, thank you very much, lol.  ::D:

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

For the second time in a month, I’ve been cursed at under a stranger’s breath.

First time I didn’t buy a guy anything to eat or drink at a gas station while filling up when he asked. “Sorry, can’t help you today”.  Had to walk in to get a receipt and heard MF as I passed him as he was waiting for the other guy who agreed to get him a drink. Maybe he was talking to the suitcase he was struggling with. Maybe it was a directed insult.

Then today was a home improvement salesman who I told I wasn’t interested twice but still insisted I make an appointment for a free estimate when I was available. So told him, “sorry, but I’m really not interested“ and closed the door. Windows are open, so “GD don't just close the door” came through pretty clearly.

I don’t think I’m being a jerk in all this.

Maybe carrying a rusty and bloody sword might help. But, I don’t think I can do the whole “crazed lunatic so let’s be polite when told no” look. 

Well, there was that one time I was cleaning my old man's .50 caliber buffalo rifle, and the doorbell rang... I put the gun to the side of the door to answer it, but it was a bunch of Jesus salesmen. Jesus salesmen who looked at me and were clearly passing judgement - as though wondering if the Lord really needed me after all, lol.

So when they asked me, "Do you believe in our Lord, Jesus Christ?"... I leaned the gun  out away from the wall and said, "No, but I do believe in the right to bear arms..." ::D:

Then there was the time in the mall when the pushy cell phone salesman kept pestering me as I walked past pointedly ignoring him. Then he laid a hand on me. (You don't grab me. Ever.)  I was in a bad mood, so I decided he needed to share it - when he grabbed me, I turned around and said, "I'm deaf, you <bleep>, what do I need a cell phone for??", and just kept on walking. (Yeah, I know... Bad Jack. :down:  But being a borderline sociopath means that I'm kind of an a-h by nature, and sometimes I'm not inclined to make the effort to wear my human face.)

45 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

>Hides copy of The Anarchists Cookbook<

I wish you could still find a copy of that without ending up on a list - a "friend" stole mine years ago...

(The same "friend" who year later died still owing me $600 for the two shoeboxes of X-Men-and-related-titles comic books he borrowed and then sold for drugs... Needless to say, the news of his death was not exactly tragic.)

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I haven't caught up yet, but I thought I might pass on some information about the situation here:

The EPA has an Air Quality Index that ranges between 0 and 500. Anything above 50 should be noted.

When I left work today, the AQI was ranging from 232 to 434, depending on your location in the city.

Eugene had an AQI of over 700 this weekend.

We're dying here.

At the levels we're dealing with, they don't have reliable data on what happens to your body. It sounds like ash particles are entering our bloodstream, as your parts can't filter this stuff out at the levels we're seeing, which means we're going to starting having lung damage, strokes, and heart attacks.

I have to work outside and my company doesn't care enough to send even an email to everyone about what to do. And they haven't bothered to even try to get N95 masks for us. When the pandemic hit, you know what they bought us (after someone told the state that they were leaving us flapping in the breeze)? Bandanas. Thin, crappy bandanas. That's it. And the one guy who was trying to organize a union is now getting promoted into management, so we're probably all going to get fired away.

I just... I can't even this whole year.

I feel you. We had the same sort of AQI levels at the start of this year in eastern Australia. Bushfires were close enough to where I live that we were making plans for what situations we would evacuate regardless of notifications and where we would go.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Nope, it was probably a field trip day that I skipped, or if it was fifth grade level my teacher was going through a nasty divorce and skimped on it.

I made soap in a lab, only the experiment didn't allow for fully processing it, so it was too basic to use... and they didn't give it back to us. Probably because the university didn't want a lawsuit from a D+ student using their D+ level "soap" and getting a chemical burn.

This wasn't a "field trip" but an in class exercise over a couple of weeks where the wood ash had to be processed to make the Lye and then converted into soap using bacon [or other fat] drippings brought from home.

First actual introduction to what could loosely be termed "Chemistry".

GEM

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Seer of the Pitt said:

So I went to the Readywise website to do a price comparison... 
:blink:

Which way does the price comparison go?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

OK, this is weird. 

I'm remotely connected into a site in Utah. i'm having intermittent connection problems, so I fire up Pingplotter to monitor if it's my side or theirs. While i'm monitoring it, I notice this:
image.png.fec0faaeecfa7aa23c54180651d7451d.png

This is the middle connection hops between my location outside of Des Moines, and the site's outside of SLC. 

The connection is going from Des Moines, to St Louis, then to Washington DC and then on to SLC. 

So I fire up ping plotter to check another couple customers in the SLC area.   Their connections don't have that DC hop.

Either you or your customer are being monitored by one of the alphabet agencies.:grr::blink:  Which, come to think of it is strange as the CIA has their main monitoring operation in the SLC area.

GEM

Most of my emoticons have gone missing!  -  Now they're back? Who is messing with my just because I mentioned "alphabet agencies"? :blues:

3 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

Which way does the price comparison go?

I did the same.
Spoilered for mentioning proprietary names.

Spoiler

Readywise site is quoting full retail less bulk discounts.

Costco is wholesale plus their standard markup of circa 14%.

Costco for the win, although there are many products on the web site that aren't available at Costco.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

I hope everyone out west is staying safe. It's ugly... And I'm worried about you all...

Same goes for everyone down along the gulf coast. I know @Guindyloo is down that way. :unsure:

Got my first couple of Oktoberfest beers this weekend, and having the first one now. Elf it, I'm tired.

Work today was a bear. Among other things, there was a check sent in for $500 back in april that didn't get processed till today. I mean, pandemic, USPS issues... who knows why, but the sender was raising a stink. I don't know what he wants us to do about it... and neither does my boss, who thinks the whole thing is a waste of time and energy. But then she has us spend 2 hours this afternoon chasing down $20. Talk about a waste of time and money... We found it, but it cost probably in the neighborhood of $200 to track it down.

*sigh

BEER!

• Like 9
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I hope everyone out west is staying safe. It's ugly... And I'm worried about you all...

Same goes for everyone down along the gulf coast. I know @Guindyloo is down that way. :unsure:

Got my first couple of Oktoberfest beers this weekend, and having the first one now. Elf it, I'm tired.

Work today was a bear. Among other things, there was a check sent in for $500 back in april that didn't get processed till today. I mean, pandemic, USPS issues... who knows why, but the sender was raising a stink. I don't know what he wants us to do about it... and neither does my boss, who thinks the whole thing is a waste of time and energy. But then she has us spend 2 hours this afternoon chasing down $20. Talk about a waste of time and money... We found it, but it cost probably in the neighborhood of $200 to track it down.

*sigh

BEER!

Repeat that exercise enough times and you are going to be working for a company that is BK, which means you will soon be looking for a new job.

Won't the Bank that $500 check is drawn on refuse to honor it for a stale date?  I know mine would.

@Guindyloo and all of our other extended family should be OK.  I just saw a report where they have downgraded the Hurricane but are expecting up to a foot of rain [Cripes! That's our total annual rainfall here!] over 24 hours but reduced wind velocities.

We be safe here in our Desert Hideaway, except for the Orange Sky ::(::wacko:  I'm changing out our furnace filters tomorrow as we are currently using the Central HVAC as a whole house air filter. Going to spend the extra $$$ and get the premium Heppa Grade Filters.

Every body else, stay safe and battened down.

GEM

• Like 7

1 hour ago, sumbloke said:

I feel you. We had the same sort of AQI levels at the start of this year in eastern Australia. Bushfires were close enough to where I live that we were making plans for what situations we would evacuate regardless of notifications and where we would go.

I hope everyone near a fire zone has a bag ready just in case. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

*sigh

BEER!

Repeat that exercise enough times and you are going to be working for a company that is BK, which means you will soon be looking for a new job.

Won't the Bank that $500 check is drawn on refuse to honor it for a stale date?  I know mine would.

The check was cashed within the allowed time. But only just...

Worked on session reports tonight, and a blog post about ReaperCon. It's nice to get in a little writing, though I really hate blogger's new interface. It tries to be so helpful. It fails... Really should think about hosting it myself, but... effort. Also managed to miss it's 11 year blogiversary.

Ah well, time to walk the beasts and get to bed.

• Like 11