Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

I have some large ongoing projects in those I will make a WIP of every mini that fits in.

Some single solo minis might just get one or not.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

I am considering just stop making WIP threads and just paint them and do Show Off ones from now on

Also I ordered a weighted blanket in hopes it will help my anxiety and insomnia 

Awww, I like your WIP threads, but I can understand the reasoning. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

This thread needs some cute/funny animal pictures, STAT!

I'm late, but in my defence I was asleep when the call went out ::P:

Here's Kurogane, where a weird forced perspective gave him Ghibli-esque ears.

RSCN9766.thumb.JPG.451d1f8ac74db2da9fe1065ade9126ed.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I made the same decision a little while ago, just had way too many unfinished projects floating about.

I liked making my WIP threads, but I don't paint well enough to warrant making one for each mini I paint, but I lose interest too quickly when I try to work on a group of them.

I enjoyed your WIPs and miss seeing them.

Personally, if I have time, I check out the WIPs section.  I enjoy seeing the process folks go through much more than just seeing the finished product.  I might make it to the show off section once a month or so if I'm looking for inspiration for something I'm going to paint or follow a link from somewhere else.

I don't often comment, other than encouragement, unless someone asks for input. And often not then, usually because I'm a week (or more) behind and they've moved on to another step.

For me show off pics are often just "wow that's great! I wonder how they did that?  I wish I could paint that well" *clicks like*
I enjoy watching the process in a WIP much more.

But I understand WIPs are more work and not for everyone.

I do them because it usually keeps me motivated to work on something, and at least usually gives me an idea how I did something (and maybe even the colours) when I come back to a project after being distracted for a few weeks (or months.....or years....).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The critique on WIPs on this forum has never been strong, going back years. People here are too cautious to avoid offending. I used to suggest trying the CMON forums, as when I was super active there it was the place to get really honest advice. That is NOT the voting gallery postings! Completely different beast that suffers from severe biases. But I haven't been on that forum for years (no mobile friendly version) and it was getting terrifically slow then due to a lot of the regulars moving some other forum.

• Like 7

I'm not a good critique"r" when it comes to miniatures. As long as you've got the paint in the right spots & it looks great, it's a great mini + hey you actually put paint on a mini! That is something that is very hard for me to do anymore. So your one up on me when it comes to that. I'll leave you with this:

Pic-2-394x394.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

I used to be a major contributor to the community. I’ve been withdrawing from it for a long while. That may have contributed in some small way to the changes here, I don’t know.

I’ve almost completely shut down my WIPs. I’ve found the joy draining out of Show Off threads.

It hurts. I like this place and the people here and I have many happy memories of lively interactions and discussions. It’s been inspiring and enjoyable to be among a community of people who like what I like who I can bounce ideas and inspirations off of, who understand about art and gaming and play.

I used to try to critique figures, when asked, with an eye and the experience I have, to the level appropriate for the artist. But I’ve found my energy for it draining away.

And it’s all Beekeeper stuff that’s done it.

You all know world events have gone way weird. And I never made any secret that I was, as my Twitter profile says, a Big Ol Lefty. I’m a progressive from a family of abolitionists, underground-railroaders, Spanish-fascism-fighters, child-labor-enders, union organizers, Civil Rights activists, and a whole lot of other stuff I haven’t talked about.

And the community here has shifted and I’ve been feeling less and less welcome for years.

I love y’all. Yes, even you. But my heart is breaking and there’s work to do.

I’m truly sorry I haven’t been here to cheer you on, to talk about funny art stuff, to commiserate, to share a mutual joy in the hobby. But it’s probably also better I haven’t been here to rant, to weep, or to rage, or to trade tips on organizing marches, which is a lot of what I’ve been doing outside of art, minis, and illustrating RPGs. Especially if I am inclined to say things that will only make people unhappy and get me censured. I need a community that I can talk honestly in.

I miss you guys awfully. I hope you have fun with the hobby. Peace out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 18

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Usually when you specifically ask for critique you will get some.

Some people are reluctant to give critique when not asked for fearing to upset the painter maybe.

I think this is a lot of it, a lot of the communities I was in people started to give the critique of "that sucks" instead of "I think it would look better if you xxxx" and it lead to a general sentiment of "don't critique unless they ask for it".

It's hard sometimes to know if someone actually wants critique or just wants to show off.  

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I miss you guys awfully. I hope you have fun with the hobby. Peace out.

I feel like I barely know you but I'll miss you too.

Maybe this will be a better community for you when the world ceases to be on fire quite so much.

• Like 8

@Pingo this is a hobby forum, it is to be expected not everyone shares the same views on life/politics/religion etc.

I respect you and I love to see your work, maybe we don't always agree on everything but that's also fine, people can learn from each other's view.

Consider this:

Maybe this can be the forum where you talk hobby and relax, if the beekeepers thing is too much, then leave just that.

Not everything in life has to revolve around one thing.

Plenty of political forums out there, why not just hang out here and relax?

It might be good to take a small break from world events every now and then after all.

Unwind here and talk politics in Beekeepers or if that's making you uncomfortable seek out a political forum for that and enjoy the art/miniatures/fun stuff here???

Just a thought.

Stay safe, hope you're alright.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

for me, it's more they don't really serve a purpose. i don't get critique on my projects, it's a lot of effort to try and get good photos for them, but yes also i just have so blinkin' many in progress stuff

but yea think i'll just stick to show off threads

Yeah, I made that decision, too. WIP threads are a lot of work to maintain, and it's work that takes away from painting time.  I'm not that good of a painter that anyone over the age of 12 wants to know how I did that, and the few times I've asked for advice I seldom got anything useful.  I paint for fun and games, not competition so I don't need feedback on everything I do. 

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

And the community here has shifted and I’ve been feeling less and less welcome for years.

I love y’all. Yes, even you. But my heart is breaking and there’s work to do.

The community has changed, and Reaper has changed, but there's still a lot of us here who enjoy your presence and contributions.  I hope when the world stops burning you'll remember us and return, and we can talk paint not politics. 

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Yeah, I made that decision, too. WIP threads are a lot of work to maintain, and it's work that takes away from painting time.  I'm not that good of a painter that anyone over the age of 12 wants to know how I did that, and the few times I've asked for advice I seldom got anything useful.  I paint for fun and games, not competition so I don't need feedback on everything I do. 

i'm thinking only big projects will get a WIP. like the bones pirate ship. Or something i'm sculpting, or heavily converting. I know some people do like to see how i do some of my blends or color decisions, so if i feel like the project would benefit someone on the forums by having a WIP thread for it to show how i do something, i'll do a WIP thread. But for most stuff, meh. not worth it

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

And it’s all Beekeeper stuff that’s done it.

Have you considered dumping Beekeepers? And I'm being serious. Get your access to it removed.

When I was there, I started recoiling at certain individual's posts outside that thread group because they were the opposite politically from me. I didn't like that change in me one bit, so when they refreshed the forum and everybody got bumped, I took that opportunity to NOT regain access. I no longer cringe mentally when I see a post from people with opposing politics, and feel it's been very healing to avoid the political threads. I continue to treat Reaper's forum as hobby only, and I can play divisive politics elsewhere.

• Like 14

RTB Pro Tips! Painting Bright colors!! started at 11:38 AM.  She's painting 44026 Razormouth and is on closeup camera now.

https://www.twitch.tv/reaperminiatures

ETA: Justin said on Crow's Nest today at 4 PM, the guest will be Jen Greenwald.

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2