Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

52 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Have you considered dumping Beekeepers? And I'm being serious. Get your access to it removed.

When I was there, I started recoiling at certain individual's posts outside that thread group because they were the opposite politically from me. I didn't like that change in me one bit, so when they refreshed the forum and everybody got bumped, I took that opportunity to NOT regain access. I no longer cringe mentally when I see a post from people with opposing politics, and feel it's been very healing to avoid the political threads. I continue to treat Reaper's forum as hobby only, and I can play divisive politics elsewhere.

I have hobby friends like this. As much as some of their views differ from mine, I remember why I'm friends with them in the first place, the hobby!!

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Pingo this is a hobby forum, it is to be expected not everyone shares the same views on life/politics/religion etc.

I respect you and I love to see your work, maybe we don't always agree on everything but that's also fine, people can learn from each other's view.

Consider this:

Maybe this can be the forum where you talk hobby and relax, if the beekeepers thing is too much, then leave just that.

Not everything in life has to revolve around one thing.

Plenty of political forums out there, why not just hang out here and relax?

It might be good to take a small break from world events every now and then after all.

Unwind here and talk politics in Beekeepers or if that's making you uncomfortable seek out a political forum for that and enjoy the art/miniatures/fun stuff here???

Just a thought.

Stay safe, hope you're alright.

THIS!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSURC9QOHnlPnIVb7ZJM1a

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

i'm thinking only big projects will get a WIP. like the bones pirate ship. Or something i'm sculpting, or heavily converting. I know some people do like to see how i do some of my blends or color decisions, so if i feel like the project would benefit someone on the forums by having a WIP thread for it to show how i do something, i'll do a WIP thread. But for most stuff, meh. not worth it

Yes please!!

• Like 5

Since I can't reply in the News, Announcements section:

Awesome releases for July! Thanks for the "warning" @Reaper_Jon ^_^

(jeesh, I need sleep, totally pooched that post.......)

Edited by haldir
(jeesh, I need sleep, totally pooched that post.......)
  • Like 9

I haven't been in Beekeepers for years now, but I'm a big ol' right-wing turd, so, sorry, I guess. I've caught some pretty good shade for it, too. All very polite, to be sure, but I'll be really honest and say that it can get passive-aggressive af around here. I think refusing to allow casual mention of certain topics actually exacerbates the issue to some extent. Lord knows nobody wants this to be r/politics or whatever, but you can't really respect someone and silence them at the same time. It's always been weird to me, but I have a really easy time not giving a broccoli about other people's disagreeable opinions, so I'unno.

Anyway, all creative forums peak and decline. A base gathers, generally folks who're around the same skill level, and they learn and grow together to a point where the kind of general knowledge and basic advice that can be shared in an online forum isn't what they need anymore, so then they move on as they begin to apply all the craft they've learned in an idiosyncratic way as all artists do. If you're learning and growing, that's just what you do. If that's all you want out of a forum, you're gonna move on.

It happened with the writing forum I grew up in. I just happened to land in the place at just the right time, a lot of us were at that Creative Writing 102 kind of level, and we had a great run where we were grappling with the same problems and learning to do the same stuff and it was easy to be helpful to each other. We'd examine and tear down a piece and study how it worked and find ways it might work better. But there came a point where we'd write a poem, and, you know, it just didn't need a line-by-line critique anymore. It was structurally sound and all the basics were there. We still could read and enjoy each other's work, and still offer critique, but it was a different kind of thing, specific instead of general. A paragraph where a page of feedback once went. New folks would come in, but there was a limit on how many times we could offer the same old intro advice over and over when we were trying to do other stuff. Most of us were not meant to be teachers lulz.

The community was still awesome, though. Some people wandered off, like people always will, but the real value of the forum turned out to be the way it allowed us to pour our lives through a filter of shared interest. Like, writing a poem and attacking it workshop-style was great and all, but it was even better just to have a chance to shoot the breeze about what was happening at school or work or at home or in the world, and have writing and lit and all permeate it. (The forum eventually died anyway, as the site enacted changes that drove us all out, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

I'm in a similar spot on with painting minis, I guess. I pretty much peaked, don't have the talent to get better but know what I'm doing wrong and all, and when I paint, which is rarely, I'm not really worried about getting better, as such. And I don't really have any insight to offer anyone else. I like looking at minis and stuff tho, and I still come here (again, sorry lulz) mostly just because I like pretty much everybody and generally find interesting the stuff y'all talk about.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Try surgical tape. Other suggestions include sewing a pipe cleaner over the top of the mask, but I don't know how that would hold up to washing. 

I've ordered both surgical tape for sensitive skin, and some odd foam tape meant for use under the eyes when fake eyelashes are being applied. Hopefully one of those works well for daily use. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Moving mask talk over here. 

If you use pipe cleaners that are made for cleaning pipes, not the craft store ones, my roommate claims they hold up under an autoclave. Haven't tested that part yet, but they have held up perfectly for the multiple washings I put my masks through. 

I have to wear them every day to work and I only have about a week supply, so they get washed often. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Hm.  How do you tell if something is caused by impostor syndrome, social anxiety, or both?

Both times I've even put forth the idea of speaking in front of people, I've been nervous about doing so.  (Although, the last time, I did end up speaking in front of people and it wasn't bad...  The hard part is being comfortable enough to start talking.  And then the hard part is stopping talking...)

I wonder if I'm going to regret this.  We'll find out!

Talking in front of people is easier if you know a few techniques.

First, there is the old standard of imagining the audience in their underwear.  I've never used this one.

Second, and something I have used is to imagine that you are a speaker in a movie, and the audience isn't there you are actually speaking to a camera crew, with the audience to be filmed and cut in in editing.

Third, pick out just a few people scattered through the audience and address your remarks to those people.  As your focus moves from person to person your gaze will take in the whole audience of people you don't actually see.

Fourth, start small [just a few people] and work your way up.  It doesn't take long this way to become comfortable behind the podium and once you get up to 40-50 people a really large audience is no problem.

My own development as a public speaker occurred through our fraternal order, The Odd Fellows and Rebekahs.  As my level of responsibility increased so did the need for facility as a public speaker.

One final tip:  It helps to have a couple of simple anecdotes or jokes that you can relate as an icebreaker.

Good Luck.

GEM

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Talking in front of people is easier if you know a few techniques.

I find giving a talk in front of people to be easy compared to going up to a single person and introducing myself.

I don't usually have similar issues in online communities (although it did take me two or three days to post my introduction on these forums).

I wonder if it has something to do with perceived vulnerability.  I know the hardest part of giving a talk is giving the pitch - not the pitch itself but submitting it and making myself vulnerable to rejection or whatever may happen.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

I love y’all. Yes, even you. But my heart is breaking and there’s work to do.

My heart has been breaking too, but for more personal reasons.  (And I don't like to get into details of my kids mental health struggles online.) When you can't talk about what's hurting you the most it leaves you with little to say.  When you feel like you're in a crisis it's hard enough to hobby at all, never mind document the process.  

@Pingo, you should know that Red's YouTube collection has been helpful to my middle schooler as she's stuck at home looking for something to distract her from staring at the same walls.  And if you ever want to chat you can PM me and we can exchange contact info.  

• Like 14

Nobody has mentioned this change to the forums that I feel has affected feedback on WiP and Show Off threads. 

The Like button. 

I noticed a drop off in the number of posts after those buttons were added to the forum. Before they were there, you had to actually say "Nice Job", "Great work!", etc, which resulted in a reply, and the post being bumped up in the Unread Posts column. I think we still have almost as many people browsing those threads, but most of us (myself included), are simply liking a post, rather than actually commenting if we don't have anything else to say.  

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Nobody has mentioned this change to the forums that I feel has affected feedback on WiP and Show Off threads. 

The Like button. 

I noticed a drop off in the number of posts after those buttons were added to the forum. Before they were there, you had to actually say "Nice Job", "Great work!", etc, which resulted in a reply, and the post being bumped up in the Unread Posts column. I think we still have almost as many people browsing those threads, but most of us (myself included), are simply liking a post, rather than actually commenting if we don't have anything else to say.  

I realized the irony of hitting the Like button after I did so. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Pingo said:

I used to be a major contributor to the community. I’ve been withdrawing from it for a long while. That may have contributed in some small way to the changes here, I don’t know.

I’ve almost completely shut down my WIPs. I’ve found the joy draining out of Show Off threads.

It hurts. I like this place and the people here and I have many happy memories of lively interactions and discussions. It’s been inspiring and enjoyable to be among a community of people who like what I like who I can bounce ideas and inspirations off of, who understand about art and gaming and play.

I used to try to critique figures, when asked, with an eye and the experience I have, to the level appropriate for the artist. But I’ve found my energy for it draining away.

And it’s all Beekeeper stuff that’s done it.

You all know world events have gone way weird. And I never made any secret that I was, as my Twitter profile says, a Big Ol Lefty. I’m a progressive from a family of abolitionists, underground-railroaders, Spanish-fascism-fighters, child-labor-enders, union organizers, Civil Rights activists, and a whole lot of other stuff I haven’t talked about.

And the community here has shifted and I’ve been feeling less and less welcome for years.

I love y’all. Yes, even you. But my heart is breaking and there’s work to do.

I’m truly sorry I haven’t been here to cheer you on, to talk about funny art stuff, to commiserate, to share a mutual joy in the hobby. But it’s probably also better I haven’t been here to rant, to weep, or to rage, or to trade tips on organizing marches, which is a lot of what I’ve been doing outside of art, minis, and illustrating RPGs. Especially if I am inclined to say things that will only make people unhappy and get me censured. I need a community that I can talk honestly in.

I miss you guys awfully. I hope you have fun with the hobby. Peace out.

There is.

6 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

I will miss ya Pingo

There is a reason I have never, ever gone into Beekeepers or requested access

Same.

Anyway, off to take a walk with a whole bunch of strangers. Like Pingo says, there's work to be done.

• Like 13

Wow...   :blink:

Spoiler

USPS apparently stands for United States Postal Sarcasm... :rolleyes:

Seller shipped it out on May 15th from NC, arrived in CT on June 2nd.

UnitedStatesPostalSarcasm.jpg.b2d00b4e9c372b81325ec6652e937a4b.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 9