Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well F*** me...

Zink is right. It is best not to Double Dawg Dare the universe. Sometimes it listens.

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

So I had an unpleasant realization.

I’m presently painting minis of dogs and werewolves (and wolves too, for that matter). I’ve been painting up the werewolves with realistic wolf coloration because it’s fun. So creamy white bellies and limbs and cheeks, grey atop with darker areas along the spine, tail tip, and backs of ears, etc. The more realistic I can make them look, the more fun.

For a change of pace, and variety, I decided to paint a couple of them up with movie werewolf coloration.

For some reason I wasn’t enjoying it as much, but I couldn’t figure out why. So I set the two of them down and looked at them for a while and that’s when it struck me.

Movie werewolves, on the whole, are colored nothing like real wolves. Not even close.

They’re mostly colored solid dark brown all over with black hair. Some of them are grey, but a lot of them, maybe most of them, are, well, white guys in dark brown body paint and black hair with big nasty teeth.

They‘re blackface. Animalistic, fanged blackface.

And now I can’t unsee it.

I haven't seen a lot of werewolf movies. Mainly, I saw the last half of that Michael J Fox thing and 1 or 2 of the early classic ones, those I remember as being Black and White films. Boris Karloff era. Were those grey tone, silver screen films..?

eta: It might have been that I saw them on a Black and White TV. Color TV was for wealthier people than my household when I was a kid…. :mellow:

Edited by TGP
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

I’m presently painting minis of dogs and werewolves (and wolves too, for that matter). I’ve been painting up the werewolves with realistic wolf coloration because it’s fun. So creamy white bellies and limbs and cheeks, grey atop with darker areas along the spine, tail tip, and backs of ears, etc. The more realistic I can make them look, the more fun.

For a change of pace, and variety, I decided to paint a couple of them up with movie werewolf coloration.

For some reason I wasn’t enjoying it as much, but I couldn’t figure out why. So I set the two of them down and looked at them for a while and that’s when it struck me.

Movie werewolves, on the whole, are colored nothing like real wolves. Not even close.

They’re mostly colored solid dark brown all over with black hair. Some of them are grey, but a lot of them, maybe most of them, are, well, white guys in dark brown body paint and black hair with big nasty teeth.

Like, the older ones, when they still did it all with makeup and whatnot? Not sure the ones that jump to mind for me look much like blackface, but when I think of bad werewolf costumes I always jump straight to Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf. Swear he looked more like a Planet of the Apes extra than a werewolf, which tbh is a reaction seems like I have surprisingly often with old-school get-ups.

We certainly live in more sensitive/aware times w/r/t makeup and costuming and the like. Guess it's a good thing we cooked up CGI.

1 minute ago, TGP said:

I haven't seen a lot of werewolf movies. Mainly, I saw the last half of that Michael J Fox thing and 1 or 2 of the early classic ones, those I remember as being Black and White films. Boris Karloff era. Were those grey tone, silver screen films.

Ninja'd me lol.

Some of those earliest cinematic werewolves look a lot better than much of what came later imo.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

…straight to Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf. Swear he looked more like a Planet of the Apes extra than a werewolf…

Yea, it was like they hired the same make-up artists and SPFX guys that had worked the Apes movies. But I did see that last of that in color and I remember him having sorta Cinnamon fur (?)  :upside:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crowley said:
2 hours ago, Zink said:
3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well F*** me...

I've quit saying that because it always seemed like there was some petty god or spirit quite willing to take me up on the offer and it wasn't a fun @#!$%^#$!. Hope whatever it is isn't too bad. 

You've missed the evenings news?

Zink is Canadian, his evening news will differ in emphasis.

Probably time to submit an application to the Beekeeper zone, Haminister. It's not hard to get an access badge.

Edited by TGP
Fiddlesticks: Duplicate word
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

When it comes to movie werewolves, there is only one that always comes to mind - Lawrence Talbot, as played by Lon Chaney Jr.

While it is hard to see, because of the B&W image - his furry face actually had shades and pattern - not all one color -

image.png.a572a06f5a78855d865b3723d4115d90.png

And showed the human below the fur.

Not a wolf's patterning, but not all one shade, either - I was much less impressed with the remake, to be honest.

The Auld Grump - last night I saw the werewolf,

And the werewolf was blind.

Last night I saw the werewolf, and the werewolf was cryin'.

He cried nobody, nobody, knows my shame,

When I see it has risen, that full moon again....

(I think you and your husband may be some of the only other people on this forum that might remember The Holy Modal Rounders....)

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Marvin said:

This purports to be every werewolf on film ever, buuuuuut I'm not into this enough to spend an hour and a half lol.

I spent 5 minutes. The Scrubbing feature is a wonderful invention. Avoids the bloviating of the presenter as well.

Fur: I saw 2 white or light grey furred ones, at least three gingers, a bunch of Black and White grey tone ones, and one Smurfwolf. Pale blue skin and dark electric blue fur plus glowing green eyes on that one!  There were a bunch that were assorted shades of brown with the face being lighter, in accordance with whatever skin tone the actor brought to the role. Those ones did look more Australopithecine than wolf. But that is what happens when you Up-Fur a human.

Skin: Honestly the skintones I saw were mostly what the actor brought to the role with a bit of blending. Except the blue guy… That was just weird.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6

"Local" 9 pm news: Weather girl is very bubbly & way to perky talking about the weather..............

& now she is talking about the allergy report & yes she is still bubbly.....

Speaking of weather, getting cooler, I'll probably pull the AC unit tomorrow as I doubt I'll need it these days. I just gotta make room for it as I store it in the hobby room.

Saturday D&D game has been cancelled tomorrow. One of the guys couldn't make it so I didn't feel like running the game without him. He did say he'll make it next Saturday & we'll be bringing a 2nd person with him. (pretty sure I know who he is bringing, which is good). I don't mind, I've got a head cold & my throat is still sore after last Saturday & most of this week's smoke inhalation. I also, need to order some jackalwere (or similar) minis for the next adventure, so gives me a bit more time for ordering them.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well F*** me...

I was gonna say it was too early to get your test reports back (here's hoping it's good news on the account exam thingy!), but then you posted again.  I still have no idea, but... 

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Zink is Canadian, his evening news will differ in emphasis.

Probably time to submit an application to the Beekeeper zone, Haminister. It's not hard to get an access badge.

Canadian here too. People tune into the news still? >.>  sounds like pretty bad though. 

As for beekeepers, I've heard it isn't as easy to get in as it used to be, since applications take longer to be processed.  Truth be told though, I've heard good and bad about beekeepers, and eh, I like my happy mini forum as I see it atm, so I know I won't be putting my name in for access to such. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, strawhat said:

We had a similar situation with Youngest and U-Haul.

We were dealing some time-sensitive situations and I rented one size, which was allegedly available, and they bumped it to the next size up.  When I called to complain (more out of fear that my driving skills would be inadequate to the task rather than the size of the tank), they could not understand why I wasn't happy about their beneficence.

Luckily for us, Pa Strawhat was comfortable enough with the truck size and willing to lend a hand.

I'm... sort of comfortable driving it back. I'll just have to swing really wide, like the scrapes along the side shows has happened in the past.

Still... if I can get the smaller truck, I think I will.

• Like 9

Nice to see some friendly faces, too.  :wub:

I'm getting the feeling my life is going to be crazy this fall.  Not sure if this is going to mean more or fewer minis painted--if I make noise it distracts my middle schoolers and apparently they might both have ADD.  The struggle to be keep everyone productive is real.  

Oh, and there's rain today in Washington.  So we can breathe again at last!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1