Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, heck I need to get up & do something. With my game cancelled today, I think I'll attempt to mow the yards (not that they really need it, more or less 'mow' the leaves that have fallen), but definitely will work on some models. I've started assembly work on the Shaguar. Wow what a crappy kit..... The mold is so old & this was back when this kit was released! (around the time of the first movie IIRC) Mold lines on the body are horrendous. Also the kit instructions must have been carried over from when the kit was first produced as it's the old school printing/assembly from Revell. Luckily I found the Revell of Germany (same company just one is European, or least it was till Revell got bought out recently) ones online, & it has a more updated presentation. At least I can tell how some parts are assembled.

On happier news, last night was the last day for Thumper's 2 week medication!!! Hoorah! The last couple days we ended up just taking her meds & putting it on treats or if she didn't want those, some cilantro. She started to get wise to this about mid-week. She still ate em at least. She has been feeling like her old pre-med state anyways. We are currently looking at how she is gonna stay outside in the colder weather. My wife asked her dad about assembling a small hutch for her to escape into. Thou if the forecasters are correct, it sounds like we are in for a 2017 winter again (ughhh what a major pain in the elf that season was..) & she is definitely not staying outside during that!!

• Like 9

No, I haven't spent the last week or so on the run from the Col, travelling about with a group of misfits in a black van getting into adventures. Nor have I been abducted by aliens, eaten by mermaids, or targeted by assassination by Smithsonian agents trying to cover up physical evidence of Bigfoot. (Yet.)

Just been taking a hiatus from the internet and catching up on reading, when I wasn't busy breaking up bird fights. The Fat Little Birds have been swarming the last couple days, and since the little ground squirrel has been vacuuming up somewhere around 50-60% of the food I leave out or trying to, tensions have been fairly high among them. Despite the return of the Yellow Orb That Burns and Blinds, it's been getting nippy and I've also found myself gorging a bit as well, so I'm chalking all this up to the approach of Winter. I don't remember any similar feeding frenzy last year, either myself or the birds, so I'm starting the get the feeling it's going to be a cold one this year. (Which is fine so long as I get my cloud cover back)

Now to get caught up on what's been going on around here....

• Like 8

Mowed here yesterday evening. No psychedelic drugs on hand. Gonna be a boring afternoon, I reckon.

Guess I'm gonna volunteer to run the intro adventures to Rime of the Frostmaiden for AL this week. I... don't wanna. But. Today is the day, I reckon.

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 3

On the subject of werewolves in film, I think Dog Soldiers stands out due to the fact that they managed to find the perfect blend of human and wolf. They were big, but not overly so, the heads were properly wolflike, but it was the way that they moved that sold it, the scene in the kitchen stands out especially. There was a slow, human like creeping stride going on, which perfectly captured the unnatural "wrongness" of them. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

But, but.... Loss of bonus points because photo is in colour.... :ph34r:

Well, I might note that Kodak started selling Kodachrome film in 1935.

The Lumiere brothers started marketing autochrome color plates in 1907.  The colors were a little unsaturated by modern standards.

Here's a link to a few of the autochrome plates shot by the photographer on Shackleton's ill fated Antarctic expedition in 1915: 

https://www.calacademy.org/sites/default/files/medialibrary/blogs/thelongview/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/hurley-paget-set-2-1000x444.jpg

• Like 5

Gearing up for an IKEA expedition... Andi's floor lamp is slowly crapping out (I'mma see if I can't get parts and repair the blasted thing, but either way, he's going to need a replacement), and I'm up to rebuilding my desk (again!). 

*mutter* Could I just have it go right the first time ... 

At least it's been raining; I could go out and liberate the chickens without a mask. But the cats are still sneezing and miserable ... poor foofs.

• Like 10

56 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Gearing up for an IKEA expedition...

I've only been in an IKEA once. Once. That place is a dungeon crawl. Bring 50ft of rope and a 10ft pole.

I helped my brother design a low-level quest for his players late last year, and we based it off an actual IKEA floor plan (the Ruins of Ay'keya). We designed it so that if you went in the entrance of the dungeon, you had to go all the way back through it to get out. Much laughs were had once they realized what we based it on... and some frustration too, I was told.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Well, I might note that Kodak started selling Kodachrome film in 1935.

The Lumiere brothers started marketing autochrome color plates in 1907.  The colors were a little unsaturated by modern standards.

Here's a link to a few of the autochrome plates shot by the photographer on Shackleton's ill fated Antarctic expedition in 1915: 

https://www.calacademy.org/sites/default/files/medialibrary/blogs/thelongview/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/hurley-paget-set-2-1000x444.jpg

Oh, we've had colour processing for a long time, like you mention.  It's just that Car 54, the series.. Was shot on black and white film for most of its life. Most who are fans of the black and white series really did not like the colour ones - it didn't quite have the same feel and charm to it (and by such, I'm referring to the jokes and whatnot) 

• Like 4

Welp, I'm now down 40 pounds. A little over 40 pounds. 18 and a half kilos.

I'm going to start transitioning the occasional non-keto treat into my diet. I don't get the same keto flu others do, nor do I find it difficult to go back onto keto. Should that change I might rethink my strategy but my partner wants me to stay keto or keto-ish for Various Reasons. And I want the occasional potato.

• Like 18

Wow, 40 pounds, congrats.

Wish I could cook enough meat to stay on keto. I might've lost 4 pounds in the last couple weeks lol. All water tho. I've cut out fast food and soda. Beats doing nothing, I reckon. Definitely fewer calories.

Pastor at the church I attended in Missoula when I met him was convinced that Shackleton's name was same as mine, Shackelford, until he finally checked and saw that it was Shackleton, at which point he became convinced that Shackleton was actually my last name too. True, utterly pointless story.

I've never been to an IKEA. One hears many tales. I did get those shelves shipped from them tho, and it was totes worth the money. Will probably get at least six more should I ever be close enough to a store to pick them up and avoid the extra cost for shipping.

Dang. That was only, like... April, maybe? The pandemic panic was just setting in. Feels like a whole 'nother life ago. 

Took the dogs and went for a nice, long drive. Rolled down some shady lanes, splashed through some creeks, listened to some tunes. 71 degrees outside! So lovely.

• Like 10