Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

4 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I could use some soup suggestions, I'm supposed to be feeding my 18 year old salt and fluids.  Soup seems a logical solution.  

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I'm going to have to explore home made ramen more, she likes that.  Maybe egg drop soup, that's a nice side dish.  

Ramen will certainly fulfill the salt requirement, and it's a trendy millenial thing. Drop a soft cooked egg on top. Add whatever vegetables she'll eat.  You can look online for additional ways to dress up a bowl of noodles.

I usually start soup with Better than Bullion. It's a paste, and IMO makes a better soup. It comes in vegetarian forms, if needed.  The jar is a tad spendy, but makes something like 42 cups.  Once you decide what flavor base to use, add vegetables (carrot, onion, celery, etc) and either beans or pasta, and voila, you have soup. 

Tomato soup is fairly easy, chicken broth and canned tomato.  Adding cream can help with the acid. 

It's not cold enough yet but Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup! really is terrific.  It's a Christmas tradition here (long story) and I make mine with a can of black beans added to it.  It's a great way to use up a rotisserie chicken carcass. 

DH likes a hearty beef barley soup.  Beef broth, carrot, onion, celery chopped fine,  diced cooked steak or pot roast, and pearl barley.  

Friend of mine makes a lovely butternut squash bisque.  One squash roasted, scooped out and pureed with some chicken broth, and a little heavy cream.  Add salt to taste. 

Hope that gives you some ideas. :) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Why do they call it hummus when it doesn't hum?

For that was the name of the great beasts hunted to extinction by hippies sometime in the late 70s. Massive yet passive brutes they were, grazing free upon the plains, but the taste of them sent the hippies into a sharklike feeding frenzy... not a sight to dwell on.

So great was the bounty of their flesh that all hummus currently served comes from one of the stockpiles, which are not expected to run out until sometime around 2090, unless of course the Food Channel makes hummus "trendy" which may knock a decade or so off the estimations.

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Trick is to use the shortcuts to avoid the children's section :-P

I think our local one caught onto that tactic a decade or so ago, because the last shortcut upstairs... Takes you literally right into that section.. And not only is it the kids section, but it also smells like whatever they're cooking, so you get extra hungry before you can make it to the stairs leading to the main level... 

4 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

My last trip to Ikea took me 18 minutes from driving into the carpark to driving out of it...with only the things I was planning to get (somehow managed with a tired toddler in tow)

That's a pretty good result. I think my best is about 22 minutes to get in, grab the few items I wanted, wait in line, then get back to vehicle...  Such a pity I won't be able to do such runs for much longer at work (well, not unless I want to get in trouble, anyways) 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I could use some soup suggestions, I'm supposed to be feeding my 18 year old salt and fluids.  Soup seems a logical solution.  

Italian sausage, browned

Potato, sliced thick and quartered

Chopped kale

Pint of heavy cream

Box of chicken broth

Red pepper to taste

Brown the sausage, strain out the grease, dump everything in a pot, then boil one hour.

• Like 7

Y'know, it's been a while since I've fired up a game that's pulled me in so deep... And I'm happy as all about it. 

Yup, gave most of my weekend to Elite:Dangerous and I'm insanely happy about it... Doubly so since I decided hey, why not, let's sign up for two expeditions, with one of them starting out at a decently far away point of interest, Colonia.  I'm loving my little Diamondback Explorer, various things with it, and also it's 66.04 ly jump range... Even more so since that's double what it was when I was first sterting out with it about a week ago, if that... 

Oh, and the trip to Colonia is 25k ly away, so it's going to be a bit of time to get there - good thing that second expedition has over two months left within it. Going to be interesting flying out into the black for the first time. Natural question is... Will I ever come back to the bubble once I start seeing the sights? 

Hey, if I can't see the stars rl due to work schedules (and clouds, don't forget the clouds) conspiring agaiant such for the time being (give it another month, and there will be a reasonable window to look up through a telescope on work days)... I'll take the second best thing! 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Made this one last night. Quite tasty.

Yu zhu and huai shan are the two in the second picture. Qi zi is goji berries. Most of the ingredients would come from your local Asian grocers.

20200921_160339.jpg

20200921_161058.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

@LittleBluberry this evening I made matzo ball soup with veggie broth instead of chicken broth for the first time, and it turned out 100% just as good. I sauteed onions, mushrooms, celery, and carrots, with a BIG bloop of olive oil then added the broth. Made the matzo balls as usual - like the pack says to, but adding black pepper and chives. Shook a bit of turmeric into the broth (bit of earthiness, and the yellowiness that usually goes with chicken). The olive oil helped get some easy fat back in which isn't in veg broth. It turned out as a really good salt-broth comfort food soup.

The lentil stew I've been making is also pretty good, but perhaps a bit thicker than desired? It is certainly a wet food, but it isn't a "brothy" soup that can be sipped. Has big chunks of squash and potato. Lemme know if you want that recipe; it is delightful.

Pureeing a roast squash of about any kind with broth also makes tasty sip-able soup. The winter squashes also do well adding coconut milk if you want it a bit richer. Zucchini based ones can kinda become nice light chowder-style (feels creamy).

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Seer of the Pitt said:

obligatory page 420 cannabis post. 
Pick Your Own Hemp field. Near Mebane, North Carolina... might be time for a road trip...
https://northcarolinanewsdaily.com/pick-your-own-hemp-farm/

pick-your-own-hemp-fields-northcarolinanewsdaily.com_-scaled.jpeg

Last Friday my wife & I went the backroad into a town in ID & I was surprised to see a couple fields here in town. I shouldn't be, but seeing it here (ie conservative red side of OR) is what threw me.

I guess makes sense with all the shops popping up here now. About the onlu new businesses coming on anymore. 

• Like 8

Aaannnndddd we're at it again:zombie:

Youngest has a cold, she needs to get tested.

The waiting game begins again.

• Sad 18